The Laziest Steelhead

iHasFish

Caught a pretty fresh hen yesterday on the credit while swinging streamers and it was unlike any fight from a rainbow I've ever had. Didn't run, didn't jump, didn't even try to bulldog. Just shook it's head for a bit then I pulled it in. Got me thinking as to why it didn't fight. The fish had no visible injuries and I caught her at the top of a really slow pool. Very curious indeed.....

Anyone care to weigh in?

funny you say that.. i too had a hen steelie at the credit do that, i was pinning beads and saw my bobber go down and i thought it was a rock, so i started reeling in, sure enough a nice sized steel was hooked, it shook once and that was it.. but iv also had a hen from the credit jump around 10 or so times and take huge runs, and she was only a 2lber

The 6.5 lb.bow I caught recently at Port Dal. fought like a 10 pounder . When it was running the current my 10'6" ultra light rod & Sahara 2000 reel and 8 lb.leader allowed the fish to go wherever he wanted ! I had this fish within 8' of the wall a few times & it would run out another 100' of line . This bow just wouldn't give in for 15 minutes .Setting the drag any tighter would break the lead off for sure . And it didn't break water at all , thought I had a big brown ! I heard the water at Port contains steroids ....... B)

Drinking that Toronto water maybe? I have caught thousands over the years and never heard of a lazy steelie. What did it weigh?

I didn't weigh it, but it was chunky, over 5 or 6 for sure. I'm thinking it was just gassed from pushing up stream. I took some video from hook to release. Once I get it edited, you'll see what I mean.

I have noticed this lately also. I think it's the weather to tell you the truth. Credit Steel are usually runnin headbangers. Lately they have indeed been sluggish.

Also.....There hasn't been the expected second full run yet. Strange year. Lots of discussion on the banks about odd trout behavior. We are still seeing the odd Coho too.

I caught a brown last week that I was almost sure was a spawned out Salmon because of the lack of fight. Very perplexing.

There is a possibility the fish that was not vibrant just got there from swimming upstream for a while, could be exhausted and hungry,

...........or he pretended to act like a lake trout, just some head shakes, hoping other anglers will release him after being caught! :santa:

I have noticed this lately also. I think it's the weather to tell you the truth. Credit Steel are usually runnin headbangers. Lately they have indeed been sluggish.

Also.....There hasn't been the expected second full run yet. Strange year. Lots of discussion on the banks about odd trout behavior. We are still seeing the odd Coho too.

I caught a brown last week that I was almost sure was a spawned out Salmon because of the lack of fight. Very perplexing.

It does feel like a weird year.... are the water temperatures in the lake any different than normal? Could it be from the mass die off the lake experienced this year from "turnover"? Hopefully the spring run will be better and the credit will be higher and greener.

I also noticed while fishing the Niagara some days they are like Rodeo stars other days a bit more lethargic. My thought was quick water temp changes .What sa ye

Archived