Crappie Mount

kevin

Well, a board member (Larry) contacted me about doing a crappie reproduction mount. I've only done skin mounts
until now. Told him I'd give it a go, here's some pics of the fish. What a crappie too by the way.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beauty job !! Nice form and very natural looking . Painting fish with brushes can be a chore . I should have learned how to use air brush paints for better results . A little tip for the fins .......I use drywall tape on the back of the fins , smeared with clear silicon glue which makes them flexible to prevent breaking them off . Hope to see more of your mountings !

Do you use the drywall tape on skin mounted fish with natural fins, or on the reproductions as well? These fins on this particular fish are rigid molded poly resin. Always looking for new tricks on the skin mounted fins though.

Do you use the drywall tape on skin mounted fish with natural fins, or on the reproductions as well? These fins on this particular fish are rigid molded poly resin. Always looking for new tricks on the skin mounted fins though.

Kev , I only do skin mounts and make my own eyes from either plexiglass or 1/2 round glass beads for larger fish . For the fins , I clean them with a small stiff brush (tooth brush works) & alcohol to remove excess borax I used to cure the fins & skin , cut a piece of drywall tape larger than the fin surface , stick it to the fin well & apply a 1/8 " layer of clear silicone . After it dries (next day) I carefully trim off the excess glue & tape .....very easy task & cheap to buy in the chalking gun size if you're doing many fish . And if a fin has a hole or a split it can be fixed with the tape & glue . BTW ......how big is that crappie ?

.....if you do a skin mount on a gar pike , use a good pair of tin snips to cut the back side lol

Kev , I only do skin mounts and make my own eyes from either plexiglass or 1/2 round glass beads for larger fish . For the fins , I clean them with a small stiff brush (tooth brush works) & alcohol to remove excess borax I used to cure the fins & skin , cut a piece of drywall tape larger than the fin surface , stick it to the fin well & apply a 1/8 " layer of clear silicone . After it dries (next day) I carefully trim off the excess glue & tape .....very easy task & cheap to buy in the chalking gun size if you're doing many fish . And if a fin has a hole or a split it can be fixed with the tape & glue . BTW ......how big is that crappie ?

.....if you do a skin mount on a gar pike , use a good pair of tin snips to cut the back side lol

It's a 16 in crappie,I posted it on here when I figured out how a while ago.i caught one a little bigger but didn't have a camera that day.Still, that's a brute lol and I'd be lucky to match that again!

Well, a board member (Larry) contacted me about doing a crappie reproduction mount. I've only done skin mounts

until now. Told him I'd give it a go, here's some pics of the fish. What a crappie too by the way.

IMG_00000899_zps388b3846.jpg

IMG_00000909_zpsc271b3fb.jpg

IMG_00000920_zps1b5ebe87.jpg

IMG_00000921_zps217d6480.jpg

IMG_00000925_zps7c13e40a.jpg

wow...awesome work!!!

Archived