When Is Enough... Enough

Finsanity

So as I sit here pondering some new purchases I want to make for spring I find myself asking why? We all do it spend way to much money on IMX or kingpins or what have you. When did fishing which is the best sport in the world become so expensive. Do we really need micro eyes and blanks woven by Russian virgins. I'm reminded of all the time I spend on the water now and when I was younger with my dad and grandpa. We couldn't afford these things back then but we still caught the same amount of fish and still got lurkers. We all have to eventually stand up to companies like shimano/ Loomis or St Croix. Because eventually fishing is going to be to expensive for kids to do with there kids. I know we chose to spend and there are cheaper alternatives but they are becoming more scarce as companies realize well pay more. So when you go to spend 400$+ on a new float rod think about all the fish you've caught with that bob izumi noodle and remember it's not.all about the gear....

When did fishing become stupid expensive?

Pinners. When y'all started one upping each other with how ludicrously expensive a single action reel could be, to the point of having to get a "bling" shot of your Unobtanium Islander beside every fish.

Personally I always thought it was a defensive mechanism, after all it really is nothing more than the same hook & bobber everyone starts out with as a kid, and trout really aren't the smartest fish around.

The thing is you don't have to buy a $400 rod, $700 reel, $20 bait. Nor do you need to pay $20 to walk in the door of a fishing show. You can spend the money on the bling, or on the fishing trip. You can buy foreign made or home grown. It is all about making an educated choice and deciding on priorities.

I think this point can be made with life in general. We are a wasteful society deep in debt. The disciplines of generations past seem to have been lost in an entitled people. There are the exceptions that pay close attention to the sport and not the gear. I must admit, I love new gear and am a techy. However, I enjoy the new toys once in awhile. I guess it's my personal reward for working hard and not spending beyond my limits.

Or you can step up into the big leagues and take up salmon trolling.

Fully rigged Tiara, riggers, divers, junk lines, every possible spoon, flasher & fly colour combo known to man, dropping a grand for a weekend tourney...

Fully rigged Tiara, riggers, divers, junk lines, every possible spoon, flasher & fly colour combo known to man, dropping a grand for a weekend tourney...

Exactly. A guy with a $1000 centrrpin outfit is still not breaking the bank when you consider all the bass, musky, lake fisherman's costs. 50000 Lund and truck to tow it, gas each trip, 15 combos rigged side by side for bass guys. Makes it a little easier to spend 5-6 bills building a custom rod that will sell for same money years later

So as I sit here pondering some new purchases I want to make for spring I find myself asking why? We all do it spend way to much money on IMX or kingpins or what have you. When did fishing which is the best sport in the world become so expensive. Do we really need micro eyes and blanks woven by Russian virgins. I'm reminded of all the time I spend on the water now and when I was younger with my dad and grandpa. We couldn't afford these things back then but we still caught the same amount of fish and still got lurkers. We all have to eventually stand up to companies like shimano/ Loomis or St Croix. Because eventually fishing is going to be to expensive for kids to do with there kids. I know we chose to spend and there are cheaper alternatives but they are becoming more scarce as companies realize well pay more. So when you go to spend 400$+ on a new float rod think about all the fish you've caught with that bob izumi noodle and remember it's not.all about the gear....

Fishing is what you make it. Your tackle are just tools to increase the odds of you catching fish. Just like a carpenter uses high quality tools to complete his job, so can an advanced or professional angler. A golfer would argue the same. I don't feel I spend too much on fishing...in fact, I am quite comfortable with how much I spend. I don't have any vices, except for fishing and I don't have any debt except for mortgage, so my fishing budget may be higher than average, but that is for me too decide. Have I purchased too much, probably, but what I don't need gets given away or sold and other anglers can benefit.

Are $400 rods necessary to have an enjoyable day on the water with friends or family? Not at all. Fishing is different for everyone. From the weekend warrior to the kid starting out, a line and a stick with a hook and a worm, will keep a child entertained for as long as their imagination lets them. (By the way everyone, take a kid fishing!)

I'm not sure where you are getting your information about the scarcity of cheaper rods and gear...that's not even close to right. Thanks to cheap labour and prices of high end materials coming down, rods are better and cheaper than ever. Why must we stand up to companies for making money...more than likely, you wouldn't be employed if somewhere along the line, someone wasn't making any money. Shimano offers rods starting at $19.99 (http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/shimano-fx-7medium-2pc/6000048009205?gclid=CKPu4qOxzrwCFYpaMgodZFgAfA), so not sure why they are the bad guy. There are lots of rod manufacturers, but very few make $20 rods. There are economic rod companies out there and you can give them your business...in fact Shakespeare's beloved Ugly Stik is the number one selling rod in the world, not the cheapest rod, but with in the occasional anglers budget. The free market is a great thing when it comes to personal choice. I'm sure you would be complaining if you only had 2 rod models to choose from. See how long your local Mom and Pop's last if they didn't sell high-end gear once in a while. Further to the point, rods right now, for the quality, technology and construction are unbelievable. Go find a rod from 25-30 years ago and hold it next to a rod that was just purchased, what do you think?

Now, do I need micro-guides, split cork handle grips, IM-10, graphite, technique specific rods that are ridiculously light and sensitive designed by NASA engineers...probably made by "chinese" virgins? YES. But that's me. To stay competitive in tournies, an angler tries to get every advantage he can. Lighter, means fishing longer and harder, sensitivity means I can detect lighter bites and feel the action of the lure and the bottom, titanium micro-guides means less line slapping which provides longer, more accurate casts with less effort. So do I need those things to catch fish, no, but it is nice to catch more fish.

If high end rods were the same price as base models, which one would you chose? The high end one. Why? You see the value in it. So if its a better product, and has substantial benefits, why shouldn't the cost be higher. And I do think of all the fish that I have caught on my UL Shimano Scimitar rod that I purchased for $40 at Canadian Tire 20 years ago, and then I think of all the fish that I didn't catch or lost compared to the equipment that I use now...I will keep my tourney gear, thanks.

No fishing company has ever forced me to go to the store and spend my money, I do that of my own free will.

trolling is an expensive startup, but if you maintain your gear it can last you a lifetime. I don't think anything on my dad's boat was made past 1990 and it all held up this past summer. the newest thing will be the rod/reel I won in the summer derby haha.

A lot of money is wasted for show. I still use my mitchel 300 and catch my share of fish. Had my downrigging rods and reels for over 20 years and the only time I bought a new rod was when one broke. Everything will last as long as you look after it. Because some new lure comes out doesn't mean the old ones won't work. I have all kinds of worm harnesses and mainly use the same two. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I still buy the odd thing but mostly it is line. Equipement doesn't make a fisherman.

I still use my mitchel 300 and catch my share of fish. Had my downrigging rods and reels for over 20 years and the only time I bought a new rod was when one broke. Everything will last as long as you look after it. Because some new lure comes out doesn't mean the old ones won't work. I have all kinds of worm harnesses and mainly use the same two. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I still buy the odd thing but mostly it is line. Equipement doesn't make a fisherman.

First, a Mitchell 300 wasn't a cheap reel. Second, trolling and downrigging is totally different than drifitng and float fishing from shore. Third, some of the best lures are the old ones (Rapala Origina, Smithwick Roguel). Not sure where you were going with the argument, because you were arguing old vs. new and he was arguing cheap vs. quality...which you have proven with your argument. You also didn't specify what downrigging rods you were using. They are probably worth more than $20 a piece. ;)

Why do cars range from $12,000 to $100,000+?

If someone wants ultimate quality they should be free to go for it .

Having said that - it doesn't mean that guys with expensive gear catch more or bigger fish than the budget conscious folks.

The same goes with vehicles. How many of us drive what we actually need? :lol:

you're absolutely right - i don't need my dodge caravan with all the scraps and dents and 340,000 km on it - but it's what i'm stuck with until that lottery plan comes through. :mellow:

First, a Mitchell 300 wasn't a cheap reel. Second, trolling and downrigging is totally different than drifitng and float fishing from shore. Third, some of the best lures are the old ones (Rapala Origina, Smithwick Roguel). Not sure where you were going with the argument, because you were arguing old vs. new and he was arguing cheap vs. quality...which you have proven with your argument. You also didn't specify what downrigging rods you were using. They are probably worth more than $20 a piece. ;)

Not looking for an argument., just stating my opinion and what I use. Triton Downrigging and Ugly Stick rods for trolling and rigging

I was telling my other fishing buddy the same thing days ago. The less fish we catch these days, fewer stocking program from MNR, the more equipment it seemed we need to own, and the more addictive we get to this sport. We can substantiate all the excuse of caching one single personal best fish of the day, or enjoying the scenery and nature regardless of a bad day of fishing. I do not ever recall me being so obsess with this sport.

Less than 30 years ago, I remembered owning only a Semi-flexible Graphite Mitchel rod and reel USA made combo for $30 from CT. The rod lasted me for 10 years, no bearings on the graphite reel. I was using 15 lb mono and never changed my line, nor even know how much line I needed, as long as some were still in there, it was fine to fish with. What drag? it was set tight to the max, since I only catch and then land fish by the seconds. I only carry 1/4 oz jigheads on 3" grub, and worms to be cheap, I told others, fish In Canada were so un-tapped, stupid and willing to take even a plastic un-scented fake worm. As long I go, cast on most waters within 1hr away from GTA, FIsh On! I do not even know that we should control our jig head action. There were lot of fish back then, What crowds ? Crossing other anglers line does not exist. I dId not even know that Walleye were tough to catch, I just go rent and boat fish at Scugog on weekend, fish close to boat launch was enough, and all I landed that day were some fish called pickeral and bass, so does every boat I spoke to, boat fishing was a half day event. I hardly heard of the word Skunk. Took my girlfriend(now my wife) shore fishing, and she just casted without hardly any distance,,,... bass on! Fishing was a weekly event for me. Maximum of 5 hrs total time spent, including driving time. No need to catch in numbers, just contented of always catching fish. Who needs picture? Fishing was actually catching some fish!

Today, after I had accumulated all the toys in the world, such as a boat and its up-keep, electronics, 15 rods and reel, Pin, Fly gear, salt water surf fishing equipment, tons of knowledge, WFN channel, member of 5 fishing forum, and enough backup lures to open a mini stores. Fishing seems to be tougher then ever. Skunk is not necessary associated with some wlld animal name anymore. I do not even go as often as I used to these days.

I would say..........Blame it on the ILLUMINATI!

When we were kids we used car/machine nuts for sinkers , & used tea spoons or finger holes in clay to pour lead to make sinkers . .....no swivels ,just a piece of copper wire bent in a U shape . lol I must say , we have come a long way ! The only thing I don't like to see is the use of underwater cameras to I.D. fish & drop hooks under their nose .....too easy to abuse the rules (for some) . As far as gear costs go , pay whatever price you are willing to spend to fullfill your enjoyment .

.....old song......"a rich man drives a Cadilac ,a poor man drives a Ford , but my old man is satisfied with 4 wheels & a board ....... B)

you're absolutely right - i don't need my dodge caravan with all the scraps and dents and 340,000 km on it - but it's what i'm stuck with until that lottery plan comes through. :mellow:

Why Complain! I still drive my 1991 Nissan Maxima with 415,000km. bought it 10 years ago for $4500, I was hoping after it reaches 500,000km clicks, Nissan might buy it off me for $20,000, to be put inside their Japanese head office showroom, to show off how good their car has been.

My other Dodge 1998 Caravan has 265,000km, to date. With your high mileage that I need to aim for, you have given me tons of hope! The transmission was just replace for $1200 last year. I was told it should work for another 100,000km. Yippy! :crazy:

Now everyone knows why I cannot afford to buy new cars or experience a Boat Cruise! Extra money saved, to be spend of gas expense for fishing...........or buy a DS scanner or Go Pro or power pole!

Ya, but think of all the money you save by keeping it that long.....as long as you weren't constantly repairing it.

Yep ....keeping my 24 yr.old van saves me a lot of money to pay for any fishing gear I buy ! No need to insure it (collsion) , no depreciation & can get all parts from the wreckers . .....runs like a charm . Funny how some of the old fishing poles stand the test of time & my old hunting coat (64yrs) ,made in Canada , still looks good . The new cars and fishing rods & reels have some things in common ..... lighter , more complicated & more $$$ . :Gonefishing:

Not looking for an argument., just stating my opinion and what I use. Triton Downrigging and Ugly Stick rods for trolling and rigging

No argument. Just saying that we were arguing the same point. Quality products last, cheap stuff usually doesn't. You can probably attest as to how a big kings can destroy a "cheap" reel.

Fishing seems to be tougher then ever. Skunk is not necessary associated with some wlld animal name anymore.

I would say fishing is better than ever. With the population growth in your area, fish are becoming more pressured and conditioned to the lures that are being used. Clearer water also presents difficulties, go to lighter line, even a flouro. You may need to try a different bait and different area of lake. The fish are more than likely still there and bigger than they were 15 years ago...and for the love of all humanity, change your mono every once in a while!!! LOL

Lifetime warranty is dependent on the life of the company.

If I had a rod fail due to manufacturer defect, it would happen well within a couple of months. Years later its my own mistakes/abuse that damage the rod and would most likely be refused to be covered. Plus you have to pay shipping/handling costs to do so. Its worth it if you really love the rod, otherwise, just buy a brand new rod.

No. Rods fail. First year, 5th year, 25 year. Ask anyone who spends over 100 days on the water. Ask the tackle shop. Unless its an Ugly Stik, the Sherman Tank of fishing rods, failure will happen. I just replaced 3 Shimano rods, one was an old V-Series 10+ plus year (no longer in production), Compre @ 3years and 2nd Compre just over one year. It was a total value of around $400 and I rec'd a brand new Crucial and 2 Compres and all it cost was $30 shipping. If I had to replace them today, I was looking at $400.

No argument. Just saying that we were arguing the same point. Quality products last, cheap stuff usually doesn't. You can probably attest as to how a big kings can destroy a "cheap" reel.

Right on. Good fishing

Archived