World Record Sunfish

AwolRJ

With warmer temps down south, year round, the fish in the Southern US do not experience a slow down in metabolism like fish in the North. We see a bass at 5lb+ and consider it a trophy, and rightly so for Ontario. it's also close to 20 years old.

Go to Florida and a 5lber is only about 5 years old. Nothing worth bragging about til they hit 10lb or better.

Same rule of thumb for sunfish. However, you can find Ontario trophy sized sunfish in the kawarthas pushing the 12" mark and over a lb.

With warmer temps down south, year round, the fish in the Southern US do not experience a slow down in metabolism like fish in the North. We see a bass at 5lb+ and consider it a trophy, and rightly so for Ontario. it's also close to 20 years old.

Go to Florida and a 5lber is only about 5 years old. Nothing worth bragging about til they hit 10lb or better.

Same rule of thumb for sunfish. However, you can find Ontario trophy sized sunfish in the kawarthas pushing the 12" mark and over a lb.

I'm sure the temp plays big factor, but after reading I found something else. Another guy commented and seemed to know the story.

"Just sunfish really. It's just a wide spot of the Colorado River in CA/AZ. The invasive specie quagga mussel has blown up in the lake and many others in SoCal. Turns out sunfish love to eat them and they are plentiful so they get huge. Overall the quagga are a big problem and hurt the overall fisheries so big sunfish is just a small silver lining."

Not a good thing, but a nice fish none the less!

The warmer weather is definitely the reason. I've caught sunfish in Texas in the 5lb range that's nothing out of the norm. They just don't look right to me. Fins are not to scale for their body type and color is off. Not a good fight to say the least compared to a half pounder up here

The warmer weather is definitely the reason. I've caught sunfish in Texas in the 5lb range that's nothing out of the norm. They just don't look right to me. Fins are not to scale for their body type and color is off. Not a good fight to say the least compared to a half pounder up here

Fish caught in the southern states are bigger but may not be as tasty ......This may be a case where "the bigger " may not be better lol . Same thing with our food , A big one lb. apple may taste more watered down , or the big 40 lb. turkey may taste like wallpaper ........

Archived