Niagara Sportsman Show

Flyfisher

Has anybody been to the sportsman show in Niagara Falls this weekend. I'm thinking of heading there today or tomorrow. Just wondering if its worth the $12 admission

If your thinking about a lodge up north ... it might be. Overall the value wasnt there for me.

also if youre wanting to hear the speakers .. value might be there ....

kinda disappointed with the full lackof vendors ...

It is just not worth the expense to the retailers. They have to pay for the space, the extra staff, since their stores stay open, extra stock, since they would not be pulling it off their shelves to put in the show. The temporary phone lines for debit and credit cards, is a killer too. Theft/shoplifting is a very real problem.

Then the consumer expects much lower than regular pricing at the show.

I spoke with a couple of the retailers at the Sportsmen show a few years ago.They both said they lose money on the shows, but feel they must maintain a presence to keep their regular store customer base.

The old days when Mom and Pop vendors could participate in the Fishing Show or Sportsman Show have been long gone for nearly 20 years. As a result, many of the tackle shops stopped going. At the very least, you shell out $2000 per 10foot space. To break even, you have to sell double that much, at regular retail, to break even.

We participate in smaller local shows. They are affordable to us and that allows us to maintain a reasonable priceline.

A couple of the local shops, like Grimsby Tackle, will have a great spring sail, offering their penny line sale

Even LeBaron's, once the biggest retailer at the Sportsman Show, left because costs became ridiculous

I believe that the space costs around $800 for a 10 by 10 space. Add $5 for each vendor pass... the show was gracious enough to donate a space for us to promote the spring crappie derby in Binbrook... if you go, buy a Owen Sound ticket .. buy 10 and you get a lure and hat with it...

Great place to get a hot tub?? Not exactly what I call outdoors but I guess they could sell sheds too.Crappy(not crappie) show except the speakers.

I try to support any show that's local, but the content is definitely lacking.

For $12 at the door I might as well go to the Toronto Shows and get more content.

I tried to spend a few bucks but anything I wanted was Over the regular retail of Grimsby or Peter's Tackle and for that they will get my money to keep the local stores going.

If you sat through the speakers, watched the reptile show, caught a fish in the pond and talked to a few outfitters about a future trip, then it would be worth it... I manned a booth on Friday night and it seemed quiet.. It would be great to have a show that rivaled the spring fishing show without having to go to Toronto . With an outdoor show in Fort Erie, this one in NF and another boat show in Hamilton, the dollars are spread too thin.... Next weekend there is a very popular swap meet in Hamilton(held at the ancaster fairgrounds this year) that is a big draw with good deals....

Even the sports mans show in Toronto sucked this year. More so then years past. There was hardly any fishing store venders. They are jacking the price too high for the stores to rent a space. It's a shame

I believe that the space costs around $800 for a 10 by 10 space. Add $5 for each vendor pass... .

$800 was base price. Mississauga was $1200. That only gets you in the door. Then there are the service fees for every electrical item plugged in, hang a banner, want carpet, hook ups for your remote P.O.S. electronic bank/VISA hookup, wages, meals, shipping,... and you haven't even begun to add in any inventory you are bringing to the show. These large show costs just far exceed the value they can presently offer to a lot of vendors. That is why the small local shows are becoming more popular

Even the sports mans show in Toronto sucked this year. More so then years past. There was hardly any fishing store venders. They are jacking the price too high for the stores to rent a space. It's a shame

Remember when the show was in the old buildings. To the right of the arena, that building had a mezzanine. That was where you found the small independent craftspersons, tackle makers, knife makers, and other mom and pop businesses. Dozens of them. All gone now.

At the door to the boat hall, on the right, was the LeBaron booth. Gone.

The hall to the left of the arena was full of lodges, guides, tourism. Less than 1/2 of that now.

I think with each store having a website they can pass on shows & spend $ for online advertising specials & such.Tech age makes it easy to browse from home Naked :read: & save your gas.

Yea I used to go to every show now I don't go because there are no deals and there's nothing there to look at. I mean sure there's a few booths that are interesting but not worth the day and 24 bucks (bring the wife)

It's disappointing that it's like this now, remember the old days at the sportsman show where you could wheel and deal get good prices (sometimes GREAT price) now no deal 5 to 10$ more then any tackle shop. I know times change things get more expensive but this is just someone making a ton or money off us.

I went because I could not make it to the Toronto show in February and I got free tickets! No comparison to Toronto. Very limited tackle with no real deals! Speaker Lin up in Toronto a lot better also.

$$$ for space (well over 1000), money for parking, stupid amounts for electricity ($300 for one wall outlet for the weekend more if you need more) you need a floor covering ($400 to rent) you need a booth and signage of some kind ($800+++ to rent) and a table ($100) or you have to buy all this stuff. This is mandatory by the show before you can even move product in. By the time you add all that up that is a lot of $5 lures at %10 profit you have to sell to break even. What the promoters are not seeing is that the more they charge the retailers for booth space, the less retailers will attend the show. The less retailers at the show, the less of the sportsman will show up. Even as say a new lure company, why would I take that much of a loss to not hit my target market.

Mike

$$$ for space (well over 1000), money for parking, stupid amounts for electricity ($300 for one wall outlet for the weekend more if you need more) you need a floor covering ($400 to rent) you need a booth and signage of some kind ($800+++ to rent) and a table ($100) or you have to buy all this stuff. This is mandatory by the show before you can even move product in. By the time you add all that up that is a lot of $5 lures at %10 profit you have to sell to break even. What the promoters are not seeing is that the more they charge the retailers for booth space, the less retailers will attend the show. The less retailers at the show, the less of the sportsman will show up. Even as say a new lure company, why would I take that much of a loss to not hit my target market.

Mike

That is why the small local shows are the way to go.

Helped out at a friends booth, saw the entire show in 15 minutes, very little of interest, didnt even buy a thing, the prices at JP's fishing depot were ridiculous, i thought the outdoor show and grimsby swap were much better. Won't be going next year.

I attended both shows, if I was asked after attending both which would I go back to I would say the one in Fort Erie. Although it was smaller with alot less booths, I purchased a ton of items at the Fort Erie show for some real good prices. Every person I spoke to at the Fort Erie show was a pleasure to chat with. The Niagara Falls show was no different than going to a Fishing Store in my mind. I sure hope more people support the Fort Erie show so it starts to grow. I had a blast in Fort Erie buying lightly used Fishing Stuff and chatting with the vendors. I just hope if the Fort Erie show does start to get bigger it does not turn into the same thing as Niagara Falls where you may as way save your entrance fee and go to the fishing store. Just my 2 cents lol

Archived