Preserved Minnows

CamG14

Hi,

Anyone have any luck with preserved minnows ?

I picked some up today and plan on trying them out this weekend on the crappies

Thanks,

Cam

I just picked 100 worms from the back yard , there are lots tonight ! You might want to try a small worm or piece of dew worm for those crappies.

I find preserved minnows(in oil) don't catch much for crappie or perch. I prefer lightly salted minnows frozen or shiners just frozen with the best results for me in lake erie or tribs. of the lake!!! I'm heading down to the grand river to try for some crappie this week and will use just frozen shiners from a bobber.

Do you guys just buy frozen salted minnow from a tackle store or just do it manually?

I keep a supply of salted minnows in the freezer & separate them in sizes , Sm ., Med .& Lg . They work for perch , bass and channel cats , etc. & during the summer . When they have been in the water for a few minutes they tend to get soft & can slip off the hook easily , so I double hook salties .....hook through the sides near dorsal fin & back through the gill plate .......or through the head from under the gills & out the top of the head ....especially the large ones .

ok thanks. Used to use frozen smelts they Were alright.

I stopped at Peters Tackle today , looking for Erie Dearies over 1/2 oz.......I noticed there are lots of minnows in the tanks . You can buy some to use for a day or two and salt the remainders .

Archived