Eye Day

smerchly

I rigged up today to try the upper 12 for bass . Got some small worm harnesses together & some tubes & when I got to the Glendale bridge .....low & behold , the water was fully UP ! I heard today was the last race ....heard wrong ......so I took a trip north to Dalloozie to see if I could raise an eye or two for dinner . after about 30 min & a few light taps , I set the hook on a light tap & hooked a nice 2 lb. eye ( 18") I was using light gear , 8# P-line & a 3 way rig with 5/8 oz. sinker in a mod/fast current . It put out a nice scrap & I left shortly after since I had nothing to keep it alive in the water .

SAM_4812.JPG

We had it for dinner and it was very tasty ! I picked my first small cucumber & a few cherry tomatoes & added some red skin fries (so good) . I feel like an old pioneer , eating off the land lol

....oh ya .....that red beer was good too :D

SAM_4813.JPG

Thanks guys , it still feels great to go out and "catch" dinner ....nothing like very fresh fish and veggies that are only minutes old from the garden . The poppy seed cream salad dressing is awesome . Try dipping the fish in it ! I fried the fish old style , in Crisco (lard) and used Panko crumbs on the fish (washed in a beaten egg) . I'll have to give it another go this week as the weather lady ( Maw Nature) will bring in some cooler temps. That's kewl ! :)

Got a nice 26" Eye while night trolling the upper last night for Ski's, would have liked a nice Eye dinner but was launching out of the states and didnt feel like bringing it back across the border. Cant say it gave me a scrap on 100lb braid though, hard hit then just thought i had weeds. Took an 8" Depthraider.

Got a nice 26" Eye while night trolling the upper last night for Ski's, would have liked a nice Eye dinner but was launching out of the states and didnt feel like bringing it back across the border. Cant say it gave me a scrap on 100lb braid though, hard hit then just thought i had weeds. Took an 8" Depthraider.

You don't need a passport for the fish.

Nice plate of food. Looks professional!

Ha ha Pauly .....my wife loves to cook ! She watches some pro TV cooks & likes to try new recipes . I catch the fish , clean the fish ,cook the fish & we both love to eat fish !

Smokin Joe !! Nice to hear from you ! Funny you mentioned Drifter ......that fishing pole was his , and he gave it to me ......he couldn't catch any fish with it ! :D

So I went back today ....cooler & cloudy . I wanted to try the Gum Drop Floater there since they worked great at Quinte this spring . They rarely get hung up on bottom since they float & we use a lot less worms ,only using a half piece & it helps catch those pesky 5" perch that rob the harnesses .I fished for about 45 min. & no bites & while slowly reeling in a good one hit close to the wall ....fought it for 3 -4 min. & the line went limp ....a bite off 10" up the leader ....pike no doubt . I went to the go to ....same worm harness as yesterday ....got my first fish ...good battle , a nice channel cat . Then a few min.later ,a 17" walleye (1.6 lbs) & a few min after that , a decent little drum . Then the water suddenly became very muddy ! Tried for another 40 min....& no more hits . Time to go home !

These gum drops come in different sizes & worked very well at Quinte in 20 fow .... 4' leads with bottom bouncer weights .

gumdropone1.jpg

SAM_4818.JPG

SAM_4820.JPG

SAM_4819.JPG

A mixed bag today & time well spent at old Port Dalhousie . :Gonefishing:

So I went back today ....cooler & cloudy . I wanted to try the Gum Drop Floater there since they worked great at Quinte this spring . They rarely get hung up on bottom since they float & we use a lot less worms ,only using a half piece & it helps catch those pesky 5" perch that rob the harnesses .I fished for about 45 min. & no bites & while slowly reeling in a good one hit close to the wall ....fought it for 3 -4 min. & the line went limp ....a bite off 10" up the leader ....pike no doubt . I went to the go to ....same worm harness as yesterday ....got my first fish ...good battle , a nice channel cat . Then a few min.later ,a 17" walleye (1.6 lbs) & a few min after that , a decent little drum . Then the water suddenly became very muddy ! Tried for another 40 min....& no more hits . Time to go home !

These gum drops come in different sizes & worked very well at Quinte in 20 fow .... 4' leads with bottom bouncer weights .

gumdropone1.jpg

SAM_4818.JPG

SAM_4820.JPG

SAM_4819.JPG

A mixed bag today & time well spent at old Port Dalhousie . :Gonefishing:

Nice job. In the secret spot Smerch.?

A nice two days of fishing indeed!!!!! Love the mixed bag. That's what is awesome about these waters, you never know what you'll hook into!

Exactly Bubba ! There is a wide variety of fish at Port and there is always seasonal times when different species come in to spawn , plus there's usually bait fish as well . In the winter you can use the long rods & bottom bounce for trout or walk across the road (from area 20 to 16 ) & ice fish for pike or perch . I'm fortunate that I live so close for good all year fishing .

Archived