Fall Carp Dinner Time

smerchly

Just asking the seasoned carpers when to expect the carp to be looking for a corn fest as the water cools ..... Is there a certain water temperature that gets the fat ladies to start singing for dinner ?

I don't know for sure but I was only using corn and press bait. They were after it. I just made a new batch this time I used cream corn, a pack of garlic powdered mash potatoes, four cups flour, oatmeal and boiled rice. I hope It not going to rain. I'm going right after work and on Wednesday.

I hope I get a huge one:-)

If water temps play a part for the fall bite , I guess we need to consider that each spot we fish may cool down according to the volume (depth) of the places we fish . For instance , I fish Jordan Harbour mostly for carp and it's very shallow , 4 to 6 feet deep . Across the road (QEW) , where we also fish for carp , the water may take longer to cool down . I'll have to spend some time on both sides and check out water temps ......need to buy a therm. first .

Sometimes they hit it hard and you need to be on the pole real quick ! The next bite might last 10 minutes as they sniff & touch or whatever they do when they are playing dumb or just being cautious and picking our brains ! I usually wait until they bend the tip of the rod and then set the hook . ....but the success rate of a hook up is only about 1 for 3 . It's hard to be sure if it's always a carp doing this since some of the corn will be gone when I check it.

Carp that just bump your line or get caught in it for a bit as they root around your baited area are what I believe the Brits call 'liners.'

Liners that continually set off my bite alarm are a real pain as I realize, time and time again, the fish hasn't picked up the bait. Dohhh! But it's funny how, on a slow day with very little going on, how the slightest line bump is welcomed with excitement and anticipation! lol

• 4 weeks later...

Archived