A Modest Proposal.

MOE FISHIN

There is a reason that the Ministry puts in the seasons and limits on different fish species. It comes down to spawning times, gestation times and successful reproduction levels, environmental factors and current and projected populations of species in certain bodies of water.

Some species could handle a 2 day limit, some may not and would be fished out, but some species need to have a higher culling rate to keep the population in check. Take the West Coast, where bass are considered an invasive species. They have an open bass season on certain bodies of water in BC and northern Ontario, to protect other native species. Its all very "sciencey" and that's why the studies and research are very important factors in calculating the limits of daily catches on certain species of fish in different bodies of water.

Just my thoughts...I will put my trust in the guys that are smarter than me when it comes to this stuff.

For some fish in some areas I think that would be ok. For instance, walleye from an inland body of water in Niagara region. But walleye from Lake Erie I think can handle a larger limit. Same with bass, etc. I would actually rather see them put a slot size on some of the game fish locally to give them a chance to catch up from all the over fishing

When I see anglers taking their 6 bass limit constantly no matter the size , I am in agreement to bring back the 12" size limit , and reduce it to about 3 bass .....who needs 6 big bass to eat every time they target them ? Limits of trout (combos) have been changed over the years , but we can still keep 5 large trout in one outing EACH . I think this encourages fish to be sold when they are so expensive to buy in stores . We have a lot of electronic technology today making it much easier to get our "limits" . We also have many C & R guys which helps maintain fish populations .....maybe I should just shut up and let the MNR decide what the limits should be ........ :dunno::wall::read::Gonefishing::coldsmiley: ....... :)

as far as great lakes salmon & trout go, its an artificial put and take fishery, and its not really that old. I sure some old timers on the board can remember the days before the salmon craze. that fishery relies on stocking programs more than catch & release for natural reproduction.

I think limits on most fish species could be reduced, would really love to see a size limit on pike, maybe where all fish over 30" have to be released, i think it would really increase the average size.

Here's an idea: I propose that the Ontario govt allow each fisherman to be in possession of two fish per day. No more. NO less.

Just for fun... discuss...

I think that the ministry is doing just fine on the limits they have set now. Let them do their job as I think they are fine just the way they are.

Here's an idea: I propose that the Ontario govt allow each fisherman to be in possession of two fish per day. No more. NO less.

Just for fun... discuss...

Did you ever fish L Erie for perch in the spring or fall?

Lake nipissing has 1 walleye limit which is going to really hurt the operators there, Last year was our last year out there because you cant even really keep a meal, yet they sell it in the local restaraunts .go figure .Our lake at kipawa quebec is tottaly shutting down ice fishing to protect lake trout .In Alberta you have to apply for a tag to keep 1 walleye .only fish you can really keep are the little muddy rainbows they stock each year.It's only going to get worse.

Let's also then consider Minor Bros. and the rest of the commercial boys also as one fisherman......that way #'s will be up in 3 years on Erie...although this year had a really great hatch according to the report by the boys in Ohio.

LT

But honestly do we need to make it any easier to catch fish on Erie? I of course was talking about gobies.

2 fish???fine for larger fish but useless for panfish.How about a species tag system for keeping fish.Like hunters do.That would help keep the greedy people from keeping their limits every day which in turn would keep our fisheries sustainable

Lake nipissing has 1 walleye limit which is going to really hurt the operators there, Last year was our last year out there because you cant even really keep a meal, yet they sell it in the local restaraunts .go figure .Our lake at kipawa quebec is tottaly shutting down ice fishing to protect lake trout .In Alberta you have to apply for a tag to keep 1 walleye .only fish you can really keep are the little muddy rainbows they stock each year.It's only going to get worse.

I thought the Nip was dropped to 2 walleye per person?

As far as limits go...Im happy with the current regulations. The option of a conservation License is available. I have not witnessed excessive over harvesting? Most people I see these days might have a fish or two, or none at all. Least that's in the trout category. If a bag limit reduction is necessary I also am ok with that as well.

Did you miss the post on Marlette's pond?Keeping limits in large groups daily will kill that pond.One of my fav crappie ponds has been over harvested and now it's hard to get enough for a fish fry.Mnr said they make it C&R only next year.Another pond I fish I see Americans keeping there limit of Crappie all spring almost every day.The regs work on big water but not on the smaller ponds .

As Captnn said about L.Erie ......fishing for perch in deep water means many will die if released . It would be a short fishing trip if the limit was reduced to 3 eyes or 25 perch ......Let the mnr set quotas since they have the facts and figures on fish pops.

Did you miss the post on Marlette's pond?Keeping limits in large groups daily will kill that pond.One of my fav crappie ponds has been over harvested and now it's hard to get enough for a fish fry.Mnr said they make it C&R only next year.Another pond I fish I see Americans keeping there limit of Crappie all spring almost every day.The regs work on big water but not on the smaller ponds .

Good point, the same thing is evident in Rice Lake. I still have to think that the Mnr has to set those reduction rules based on the fish population counts. A formal request to the Mnr for a study of certain waters would be an option. Reduction limits on places like Nipissing have been put in place based on studies and is not uncommon on other sensitive bodies of water. I highly doubt those requests have come from hut operators...more than likely from property owners and general public. The only thing to do in a case like that is to make a complaint with signatures of support to call for a population study of the pond. I still go to Nipissing every year regardless of the walleye reduction and support the fact that they made the reduction. Thats the Mnr job to set limits but there is nothing saying that a complaint cant be made of your concerns.Lots of people complain of reduction limits without thought about the future of the resource.....just too bad that more people dont involve themselves in conservation and volunteer some time into the resource that they enjoy. I have joined several groups to put something back from what i enjoy and get great satisfaction and education knowing the time is well spent. We all have some responsibility to make a differance.

It's a difficult task for the MNR to set quotas for different situations ....e.g., L.Nipp. has a 2 eye limit . That can stop anglers from abroad from going there , wreaking havoc for tourism dollars. The locals can keep 2 eyes every day and have plenty for a nice dinner anytime they wish .Similar situation here ....locals can catch/eat all the perch-trout- bass the desire . (50 perch x 7 days =350) . So , to some (locals) , limits can be reduced ....no problem , but when others travel hundreds of kms. , they would appreciate having a "shore lunch" or two during their stay .....the old "catch 22" for the MNR .

The old catch 22... is what I was thinking about with this thread. I fish just north of the 560 during the summer and watched an owner freak out when the clients caught, shrink wrapped, froze, and brought home their limits. All legally. This lake is nearly fished out. Now what?

Needless to say, the clients now clean the biggest fish in the boat.

For the fish with bigger limits ex. Walleye, perch, bass if there was a hint that the population was worsening they would put an aggregate limit such as they did with trout. As for the northern inland lakes speaking from personal experience especially on rice lake 1 in 10 fish fit in the current slot the rest are 70% over and 30% under. The regulations are perfect where they are for the current seasons.

Archived