Water Conditions

manutd_jeeves

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I'm new here. I will be visiting the Niagara area in a couple of weeks and wondering if the whirlpool, The Glen or Pebbly beach will be worth a shot? Given the nasty winter we have been having I think it may be problematic. I will only have 2-3 hours to fish and was wondering if it would be a worth while outing.

I won't be using living bait due to the fact that I will be travelling and was thinking about spinners and spoons. I was told to use heavy spoons and size 4/5 spinners due to the current. Any suggestions?

I dont really think its worth it togo to wp for 2 hrs but hey thats just me the ice can be ok or brutal depends on the day if it warming up you can bet theres gona be burgs starting to float around breaking up and making ice shards and i wouldn't expect to catch much or anything with spoons or spinners.... unless you know the proper drifts to use them in and they arent filled with ice. you can always tell out of towners using crazy baits or throwing salmon spoons lol locals arent gona give out that kinda info. if u wana go, go if you dont then ...dont i duno? Why does everyone always just ask rather then just going. You think we go down and deal with sh!t conditions to give that info up to you so if its bad you can stay home ??? Lol be like the rest of the out a towners come down dont catch anything get mad swear alot leave and wonder how everyone talks about.the niagara so and you didnt even smell a fish lol btw pick up ur garbage too

Your best shot if not using bait is to drift gulp, powerbait, Finn minnows under a float.

If tossing hardware just bring an assortment of spoons and spinners. You don't have to go big. Just use the drifts to ur advantage.

As for conditions u will have to check before u come. It does change dad to day.

"Jimmy2fish" no need to be a D@@k!

A guy who hides all personal info always talks big on these sights Lets keep it fun and informative to a degree.

I dont really think its worth it togo to wp for 2 hrs but hey thats just me the ice can be ok or brutal depends on the day if it warming up you can bet theres gona be burgs starting to float around breaking up and making ice shards and i wouldn't expect to catch much or anything with spoons or spinners.... unless you know the proper drifts to use them in and they arent filled with ice. you can always tell out of towners using crazy baits or throwing salmon spoons lol locals arent gona give out that kinda info. if u wana go, go if you dont then ...dont i duno? Why does everyone always just ask rather then just going. You think we go down and deal with sh!t conditions to give that info up to you so if its bad you can stay home ??? Lol be like the rest of the out a towners come down dont catch anything get mad swear alot leave and wonder how everyone talks about.the niagara so and you didnt even smell a fish lol btw pick up ur garbage too

I had a long stick around the house that I seem to have misplaced.... Seems to have found its way up your.... ;)

I was not asking for any secrets or spots, just a friendly request from someone who has never been to the area.

I do the same regularly for those visiting Ottawa in our local forums.

Backwoods, Thanks for the suggestions!

Ice is usually a little better in the upper if you go into fort Erie. There's a really good drift under and around the train bridge with much easier and safer access.

Strongly disagree with info sharing that is all.

Then leave because that's what the forums about pal.

The man asked for info on the river and if you don't have anything useful to help him out with then don't bother wasting our time with hollow posts. Thanks

Then leave because that's what the forums about pal.

The man asked for info on the river and if you don't have anything useful to help him out with then don't bother wasting our time with hollow posts. Thanks

Totally agree this guy dos'e nothing but strike people down on every post he makes no need for it :slap:

if i keep talking ill get banned for sure.

Strongly disagree with info sharing that is all.

Online forums like this are for the purpose of info sharing, showing pics, talking gear, ect. We do have rules in place to stop people from giving co-ordinates but that's just how things are. If your not fond of info sharing then simple don't. But what would be the pint of joining here then? I'm sure you have picked up info since you joined. Or learned a thing or two since joining. Next time someone asks for a few pointers, either don't respond (since you don't agree with it) or be a supporting member of the forum.

As for the actual question. The whirlpool cab be very tricky this time of year. As stated it can be full or ice, no current, or it can be clear and perfect. If your set on throwing gear. I suggest kwikfish, an assortment or cleos (I personally like 2/5oz) and a few heavy spinners (I like vibrax) 2 hrs is a trip I probably wouldn't take. But if your set on fishing the river then have at it. The people who have been fishing lately seem to be hooking some pretty solid fish. So if you can play the fish right then I think you could have a good day. Use extreme caution traversing the shelf ice though.

I thought there were hidden forums you had to get posts to access? and not supposed to name rivers spots etc.... just following the rules no?

The guy asked a simple question...read your response again, and ask yourself why im not the only one who thinks your some kind of character. I guess your just here to take....rather than share.

I thought there were hidden forums you had to get posts to access? and not supposed to name rivers spots etc.... just following the rules no?

yes there are places here where we share info thats a little more private, but there is no need to be trying to hide what will work on wintertime steelhead in the lower.

as for not naming spots, places like the whirlpool are far from a secret. what you catch there is no secret either, its a fantastic fishery. now is someone was going to a specific spot that cant handle mass people and posting that they caught 200 crappie or walleye then that would be a different story.

we, as mods, admins and cliff(owner of nfn) just ask you respect others on the forum and cool it a bit as your personality is quite off putting when seen on here.

how does the saying go? you catch a lot more flies with honey then vinegar? close enough... we really dont want to have to be monitoring every post due to the conflict and people reading/typing posts that could misinterpreted in context.

now lets get this post back on track, a little bit of a river update, checked out the pool yesterday to see how the ice was; and was surprised to see it virtually ice free, did anyone fish it yesterday?

. The hidden forums is earned . Post count matters to a degree. Those who show attitude would never see the hidden forums.

I would take a look from the above before going down to the Glen and the pool and determine access due to ice. Pebbly will be probably iced up and jammed but you can most likely fish the Glen or the pool. I would use gulp minnows under floats since casting lures might be a pain with ice going down. Go down for a walk and I am sure you can find a hole to fish.

Totally agree this guy dos'e nothing but strike people down on every post he makes no need for it :slap:

X2

Definition of "Internet Troll"

A person whose sole purpose in life is to seek out people to argue with on the internet over extremely trivial issues. Such arguments can happen on blogs, Facebook, Myspace and a host of others.

Nah just rubbed me the wrong way is all didnt try to be too mean about it but just dont like lazy people that dont want to do their own research and expect others to give up all their info....thats all. If you read my post without your face getting red first then you would have seen i gave advice that a 2hr trip may not be worth it as the ice changes all the time and i said that spoons arent the most effective way there so right there i gave some general info before i said anything else. Relax guys.

One trick I've used during the long winters when I really just needed to get out for few hours and ice floating thick is just bouncing white tube jigs in any breakups in the ice I can find. Mostly small back drifts like you'll find in the glen give you the best openings. This is the best way to cut the ice I've found as lures get hard to work and float rigs also get caught up laying on surface ice. Be surprised how many hungry fish hug the shoreline drop off with conditions like this.Traditional laker technique but I've nailed a tonne of nice bows like this over the years. Some real nice spots for this technique downstream of pebbly but it can be a dangerous walk once you get around the corner there. One thing for sure is make sure you bring good boots wherever you go

Thanks for the feedback everyone and sorry my post led to a little kerfuffle.

I don't get to Niagara very often at all and ichin' to give the whirlpool area a try not to mention that the Ottawa area is frozen solid and I am jonesin' for soft-water. At 6 hours from home it's a bit out of the daytrip range. Short time is due to the fact that this is a March break family trip and all the time I can afford is from dawn until the early morning.

I find most of the time I try a location the first time it's a bust as you figure out the water out so my expectations are low but at least I have some options to consider and things to look for.

I spend gobs of time researching ;) I am a Google wizard, but with a young family I want for time... Recently bought a rod off someone up here who recommend I try the area.

I am roughfisher/species/micro guy and I am keen on getting into salmon and trout this year (likely won;t be able to make it this far south, but you never know). I have seen nice carp, catfish and buffalo's come out of this stretch and would also be keen on a Golden Redhorse but they likely wont be out yet.

Nothing is better than boots on the ground though.

Still need to ask for permission from the boss.... Flowers? Wine? A day at the spa? sigh....

If you guys are in the Ottawa area ask your questions here (under new management): http://www.fish-hawk.net/

Thanks Jimmy!

I should add that reading this group for the past couple of days you guys really have an active informative bunch on here. May have to read it more often.

Archived