Respecting Other Anglers Space On The Water.

iHasFish

If you see someone fly casting and drifting a shoreline, don't run your canoe 15 feet behind them then tell them to watch where they're casting "hey, I've got a dog on this canoe,watch it! "

There was a whole lake behind me for you to go around. Learn some respect. You know who you are.

You'll see this on shore too. People with spinning rods crowding a fly caster then complaining when they almost get stuck. Unfortunately common sense is anything but common. All you can do is politely point out to them that their actions are undertaken at their own risk.

As my friend use to say--And now, the rest of the story--

Yep that was me. I saw you about a hundred yards away, as we slowly approached each other.

Like you, I was casting lures to shore and drifting as well. Actually I had the natural drift from

Richardson's Creek which flows west to east. You were constantly maneuvering your craft as you

fished.

Assuming you are aware of your surroundings as you fish, you had to see I was hugging the shore

line tighter than you, only moving out further from shore as I maneuvered around the fallen trees.

As we approached each other, you continued to cast as if I was not there.

If I saw you, you must of seen me as well. Seeing that for whatever reason, you would not stop

casting as we approached each other I went behind you at what appeared to be about thirty feet.

According to your rant, that wasn't good enough for you. You must of expected me to go way out

of my way to accommodate you, instead of stopping for, oh I don't know, 20 seconds.

Remember we were both fishing the shore line.

In all the years of fishing this pond and the hundreds of other canoeist/kayakers and boaters that

I have approached while drifting, one for one we stopped fishing, exchanged pleasantries or

waved or chatted for a bit about the conditions etc.

You wanted none of that common courtesy, which is fine, and is why I passed behind you,

as stated by around 30 feet.

You also omitted to say, was that as I was trying to pass behind you, you continued to cast.

What makes you think you have a right to continue fishing and I do not.

Moreover what kind of person would continue to cast, whether or not they felt the right to

continue to fish and perhaps putting someone's or their dogs life in danger.

That's when I said ''hey I have a dog as well as myself here in the canoe.

From my 25 years of fishing this pond, proper etiquette that I have experience when two boats

approach each other, is to both ensure safe clearance and passage. Meaning you both stop

casting if a present danger could occur.

You just continued casting as if you had the right of way, owned the water and to me that was

extremely dangerous.

I cannot believe you continued to cast as I was trying to pass behind you.

Unbelievable.

You also probably heard me talking to another member of this forum who will remain

anonymous who was fishing from shore who also witnessed what transpired.

Also you failed to mention that I tried talking to you, but you ignored me. Then as I was passing

behind you while you still continued to cast, you started saying something without looking in my

direction. I could not hear you, and twice I asked what you said, and you didn't have the decency

to face me and talk to me like every other boater I have ever met up with on the pond.

In the future please show respect to everyone on the water.

Having to stop fishing for a whole 20 seconds is not the end of the world.

And again, because we were both fishing/drifting close to shore, it was both our

responsibility to take a few seconds to make sure we passed each other safely

and then continue fishing.

What I did notice is that when I finally got around you and started fishing again,

I caught a fish on my first cast, and noticed you immediately packed up and left the area....

The question I have is --what kind of human being continues casting knowing with their

set up, they a putting people behind them at risk.

That was a rhetorical question. I'm done with this silly thread you posted.

Just because you were fly casting from your craft doesn't give you the right over

anyone else.

Give your head a shake.

Just wanted to add some of the facts you omitted.

Archived