Welland River

grumpy

Boat launches are by the airport. Other side of the aqueduct there is one on river Rd across from merrit island, other side of the next aqueduct there is one behind palfinger in the falls, or you can use the chipawa launch. I have found in welland and the falls it's good for bass and pike. Only ever caught cat fish in the section by the welland airport. I have never targeted walleye though. They are in there though

For years they stocked the upper portions of the river but had to stop after VHS made its introduction. Seeing as the fish collected for sperm and eggs came from positive waters in the Grand and no VHS was detected in the Upper Welland River they cancelled the stocking program.

At meeting with the tri-clubs and MNR I explained how hard it was to get volunteers and suggested the program might die even if VHS was detected up top and asked if we could continue stocking below the aquaduct which they agreed to and the triclubs have been stocking the bottom end ever since with Grand River fish and the last I heard the MNR was pumping the upper with MNR hatchery fish. So both sides should be productive.

Amazing how getting involved and voicing your opinion can influence resource managers. They value those who don't mind getting their waders dirty and dedication a couple hours a week for a couple months. They had also suggested not stocking above the Dunnville dam until one of the Port C members pointed out that rainbows which were a carrier of the disease jump that dam on a regular basis so the fish lifts were able to be continued.

Archived