Local B&t's Vs Bass Pro

bigdog

My personal peave with bass pro was when i was logged into basspro.ca and was looking for a pair of salt flats boots. It showed them as being in stock. Made the drive from Cambridge to vaughan mills at the time to buy the boots. Again it was gift cards i had...get there after the hour long drive only to find out they dont stock them in Canada. I asked to see the manager...told him that i just drove an hour because i saw them listed as in stock on basspro.CA? Well sorry sir...we dont carry those here. Ok so when do you plan on having a website that caters to your CANADIAN customers? Ill make note of that sir....sorry about that as he walks away. It was then i decided id had enough of these anti Canadian pro American big box stores even if i have to pay more...i avoid them unless its only to wander around and show the grand kids the fishtank.

The NOTL store stocks the world sportsman's brand flats boots

I dunno... been going to pete's for years and still feel like i'm in the way when i go there... maybe i don't spend enough $$$... just not a super positive customer service experience thus far...

As for BPS, prices are very similiar to their U.S. website- pflueger trion reel is $39.99 US on the website and $42.99 CAD in store, maybe it's $30 in Petes but wouldn't know, can't get anyone's attention there... and the shipping from bps is beyond reasonable when compared to other online retailers...

As far as pushing the little guy out, maybe they will maybe they won't, who knows... but the bigger picture, in my mind, is do they support locally and BPS does- they raise $$$ for the NPCA (and others) which affects us all... and pretty sure Pete's does as well... so in my mind, to me, both stores have their places...

Personally a lot of stuff i've been buying lately hasn't been found in either place and i have been ordering online... lucky bug zombie maxx and allure cannibals... i can usually find what i want at bps tho- like veritas 2.0 rods, which it seems pete's doesn't have a huge selection of... just my opinion...

If we compare the available floor size at BPS to Peter's or Grimsby Tackle ,etc., BPS should be able to carry much more outdoor merchandise , and also be able to buy in huge quantities . That is how our free enterprise allows the biggest fish to eat up the small ones . We have seen many smaller companies merge or be bought out by large global companies and they can then set their prices to make their millionaire CEO's morphed into multi -billionaires . I have to give these "little guys" lots of credit for cramming their floor space with all that gear , including minnow tanks . B)

I still have some home made Senko's bought at Gill Finnigans Tackle at Niagara Falls ....... :Gonefishing:

If we compare the available floor size at BPS to Peter's or Grimsby Tackle ,etc., BPS should be able to carry much more outdoor merchandise , and also be able to buy in huge quantities . That is how our free enterprise allows the biggest fish to eat up the small ones . We have seen many smaller companies merge or be bought out by large global companies and they can then set their prices to make their millionaire CEO's morphed into multi -billionaires . I have to give these "little guys" lots of credit for cramming their floor space with all that gear , including minnow tanks . B)

I still have some home made Senko's bought at Gill Finnigans Tackle at Niagara Falls ....... :Gonefishing:

And on the other hand, sometimes we gotta have the big stores to keep the little ones "in check" with their pricing and make them better with their customer service... i know there were some manufacturers who didn't offer bulk discounts either, wholesale pricing was the same whether you bought 1 or 100... maybe supporting manufacturers who offer a chance for the little guy to "compete" is the best overall policy??

Still rockin' them spanko's eh smerch?!... promised myself i wouldn't use them until a got a fish on something else (wakebait/topwater)......... fished for 8hrs or so and have zero fish to show for it :o .... lol... looking like a year of no fish for this guy!!

Use to really feel loyal to Peter's back when he,Angela and Gerard were in the store..New guys are OK just not the same connection for me.

Now Grimsby tackle has always treated me well given me tips on rigging ect.

That beening said I spent my $500 on boat seats at BPS.

Much prefer the smaller shops. Grimsby Tackle has free sausages every Saturday, sometimes even some other meat treats in their smoker + the wood stove in the winter.

The smaller shops also are the ones who support and sponsor many of the various local clubs and events

Use to really feel loyal to Peter's back when he,Angela and Gerard were in the store..New guys are OK just not the same connection for me.

Now Grimsby tackle has always treated me well given me tips on rigging ect.

That beening said I spent my $500 on boat seats at BPS.

I know some of the new guys at Peter's . They are young fellow fishermen who know a lot more about fishing techniques than I know at 72 years young . They are working a job they like while still getting their education in their chosen field . It takes a while to gather knowledge of the gear being sold at the small shops and some guys are just quieter (shy) than others . I don't spend a lot of $$$ on high end gear , but have been a regular customer for many years . I was very happy to see Angela carry on after Peter passed away and keep our little shop flourishing . BPS has it's place in the market , hopefully to draw people passing through Niagara and a place to buy larger items not sold in the small shops .

BPS os great haven't had any issues yet. Got some really good deals on muskie baits ice hut and lots of others. Possibly buying a boat from there next summer guess we'll see. One shop I do go to more then any other is bills bait. Those guys are super nice even called once said I needed bait bad and wouldn't make it before 8. They stayed open an extra 20 to save my ass.

BPS os great haven't had any issues yet. Got some really good deals on muskie baits ice hut and lots of others. Possibly buying a boat from there next summer guess we'll see. One shop I do go to more then any other is bills bait. Those guys are super nice even called once said I needed bait bad and wouldn't make it before 8. They stayed open an extra 20 to save my ass.

X2. Bill's has awesome service, great selection (especially considering the size of their shop), and the prices are right. Don't think I've ever been inside over 3 minutes till someone asks if I need anything, even when it's busy.

Wherr is bills?

Upper james in hamilton

http://www.billsbaitandtackle.net

They do salmon trolling steelheading they tend to carry more of things involved with the season because the shops on the smaller side bUT it's packed

They also don't care if I go to bass pro they still treat me really well

Archived