Any Tree Experts?

rickyy33

Yes , I 'd say a sycamore tree ....Queenston St. at Victoria Lawn Cemetery is lined with these trees ....neat looking trees , look like camouflage . I have read they shed bark for various reasons like the tree is growing to fast and the bark spits or splits to prevent disease ......

http://forestry.answers.com/tree-identification/why-the-sycamore-tree-sheds-its-bark

A lot of the planted ones along streets and in parks are London Plane Trees, easily confused with the Sycamore. Think this one is a Sycamore though. Lots of residential maples are Norway Maples both green and red ones. I can't figure out why they don't use the native species.

A lot of the planted ones along streets and in parks are London Plane Trees, easily confused with the Sycamore. Think this one is a Sycamore though. Lots of residential maples are Norway Maples both green and red ones. I can't figure out why they don't use the native species.

Norways (Acer platanoides) are the landscapers maple of choice for a number of reasons. First, they are the easiest to hybridize for shape, form and colour. Secondly, they have a thicker leaf canopy. Most important is that their rate of growth is double or triple that of native species of maple.

The ones on my street are having a awful time with black spots on the leaves, some kind of mildew plus they are very shallow rooted, surface roots that you can feel underfoot in the lawn and grass don't seem to grow well under them . I think landscapers should rethink that choice.

Archived