Nightime Driving

smerchly

Another couple has died after hitting a moose on the road . Animals don't know what headlights are and some freeze when bright lights hit them . Large animals like deer and moose may dart right in front of you and collide with your vehicle . A small vehicle running a high speed will be demolished and people will die . Best thing to do is slow down and watch for them . We tend to drive faster these days and the animals don't stand much of a chance to avoid a collision ......be careful , both day and night .

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/2-dead-after-car-collides-with-moose-on-wildlife-reserve-in-quebec-1.2508882

It can happen in a heartbeat. I wonder if those "deer whistles" actually work or if they're just a gimmick?

They are more gimmicky than anything, when the bugs are out they would clog them up rendering them useless.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deer_horn ... No they do not.

People need to learn to look well ahead, I am scanning the road ahead when I am driving looking for animals, children, or a police cruiser looking for speeders, but I see plenty of drivers looking only right in front of them as they drive (and in turn responding only to the vehicle immediately in front of them).

We had a moose running down the middle of the highway near Kapuskasing at daybreak . It ran the road ahead of us for about 100 meters before heading into the bush . Another time a black bear crossed right in front of us during the night & one time on the way to Moose River , a flying squirrel somehow hit our windshield and we found the body in the back of the pickup when we got to Cochrane . Tons of small animals are killed locally by vehicles....just scraped a rabbit off the road at my driveway ......The higher speeds, extra bright headlights and aerodynamic (quieter) cars are taking a toll on our wildlife ......I hope the wind turbines don't add to this carnage .

I have two of them whistles on my truck and i still had a deer just walk out in front of me as i'm driving i'm always looking for

the eye shines on the road in the ditches thats the only thing that stopped me from hitting that deer and like every one said hear

SLOW DOWN they will appear out of nowhere

Everything that's been said is right on. Clean up those yellowed headlignt lens and be constantly scanning the road ahead. If you require glasses for driving, wear them.

My closest call was with a deer. It ran out from my right side and almost hit my front passenger door. :D Funny cars don't spook them, but rustling leaves do.

A quick and in expensive way to clean ur lens is with bug spray, off brand works, more deet the better. Try it it works

Deet will craze some plastics can damage some paints. Ordinary toothpaste and a buffing wheel is a better choice. But there are polishing comppunds made for the purpose as well. Just remember when using a buffing wheel on plastic not to apply too much pressure as it can heat the plastic and damage it.

Archived