Laughed Til I Cried!

ron4blues

So I was talking earlier to my friend Julie about her weekend. She and her boyfriend Paulo had gone to visit a friend at Rice Lake.

They were all sitting on the deck having drinks when Paulo got bored and decided to go fishing. So he rummaged around in the basement til he found a fishing rod and a lure. And wearing swimsuit and sandals, he headed down to the water about 100 feet downhill.

After a while, he caught a bass and brougt it to hand, at which time he realized that he had nothing with which to remove the hook. As he struggled to remove the hook by hand, he lost his grip on the fish and it started flopping around.

Now as the fish was thrashing about, it managed to imbed one of the other barbs (treble hook) in Paulo's thigh. So here was Paulo with a fish attached to his leg by a treble hook.

But Paulo had nothing with him to cut the line either, so the lure was still attached to the line, with a pissed off bass on one barb, and a 6 foot tall 185 lb Paulo on another barb.

So up the hill he goes with bass dangling from his thigh. He made it back to the house where with a pair of pliers and much laughter (from everyone else), they got him unhooked.

Now keep in mind, Paulo is a walking accident. Last year he failed to notice a yellowjacket sitting on the pop bottle he was drinking from, and got his tongue stung.

But the mental image of him standing there with a bass hanging from his leg had me breaking out in laughter at random times all day!

Photos were taken by their friend. I've asked to see them. When I get them I'll post them.

This has got me thinking. Over the years I've stuck myself many times, but never actually hooked myself (imbedded past the barb). And these days I routinely pinch the barbs anyway. I started doing that when I was taking my friend Lisa's son fishing. She is a single mom and her son Jake wanted to go fishing, so I volunteered. I figured that he would stick himself at some point, and pinched barbs would ensure that the day wouldn't be riuned by a visit to the ER. In any event, I always have both pliers and hemostats in my vest.

Moral of the story is, pinch your barbs and be prepared.

A hook in the side with a bass flopping on it has to be PAINFUL !! OUCH !! The hook must have sank well past the barb and removal could be hazardous by pulling on vital nerves . ....hope it was disinfected properly . When using more than one single hook one must be extra careful of those other sharp hooks . Sometimes karma happens when we fish . :lol:

edit.....I had a bass dorsal bone removed surgically from my hand 2 weeks after a trip to the French river ......and last month a carp got HER karma on me when I had to chase it around a rocky bend , and I twisted my knee badly on a loose rock .....(it's about 80 % better now) . Fishing is a dangerous sport !

The most pain I ever experienced while fishing was being finned by an Acadian redfish while fishing the salt. That hurt, but fortunately the spines didn't break off. The salt water didn't help with the pain either.

• 2 weeks later...

I once saw someone try to lip a pike while ice fishing I nearly died of laughter from that for me I once had to remove a giant carp barb that impaled my palm

Archived