3 More Asian Carp

thefrog

Seeing as you can't pick up a fishing magazine anymore or even watch a fishing show without hearing something about Asian carp I was just wondering what everyones opinions and out look on the subject is. Here is a good artical post by OOD on the 3 recent carp caught in Toronto.

http://www.oodmag.com/news/destructive-potential-a-concern-following-latest-asian-carp-catch/

This is happening at the worst possible time ... with the economy potentially going into a recession, the drop in oil prices will hurt the taxes to be collected, and the various major happenings around the world (ISIS, Syrian refugees, etc) I can see the government cutting back on money for this fight (and it makes sense when you look at the global perspective).

Unfortunately the punishment is far to light if anyone was ever caught releasing asian carp. Trucks are regularly stopped at the border bringing in tanks of live carp, but for each one stopped there will be one that made it through.

It is a scary thought of the damage that could be done to the system if they did get a foothold in, unfortunately only a few breeding pairs is all that is needed with how fast they can reproduce.

36 pounds ???? Where and how did this fish enter the lake ? Has it been in the lake for months or years ? Did it survive the winter months and has it been seen and mistaken for a regular carp ? We better not cheap out to save a penny and pay millions or billions in lost revenue later , from commercial fishing to sportsfishing . The government has collected billions over the years from us.....fishing gear , charters , licenses , boats , etc etc etc ! As Snag said , our courts are way too lenient on abusers .....they need to pay huge fines and do some serious time behind bars .

Need some input on this ok i was fishing the Welland river this morning and i was seeing fish big fish not small if you under stand what i mean they were not jumping

i seen common carp jumping this morning but these fish were not jumping almost like they were porpoising almost in a slow motion they were a smoky grey color

the dorsal fin was short on the body but was kind of pointed at the tip i can honestly say i fished the river for years and know the species of fish in that river but i have never seen this fish before

and there is a lot of them and they were not channel cat if any one now's what they are or if any one is interested in having a look for them selves pm me and i can take you there they are hard to catch surface you have to be looking steady

Large suckers ...short dorsal fin .....They can be over 2 feet long , wide on the back but not fat like a carp ....

you can tell they have a gut on them even when they roll the wake they make is like someone threw a 15 lb rock

any one of you can be right but like i said i have never seen this fish before at first when i seen them i thought they were salmon

but i new that cant be it's a mystery to me i tell ya i would love to have one on the end of my line they look like they would put up a good fight

Need some input on this ok i was fishing the Welland river this morning and i was seeing fish big fish not small if you under stand what i mean they were not jumping

i seen common carp jumping this morning but these fish were not jumping almost like they were porpoising almost in a slow motion they were a smoky grey color

the dorsal fin was short on the body but was kind of pointed at the tip i can honestly say i fished the river for years and know the species of fish in that river but i have never seen this fish before

and there is a lot of them and they were not channel cat if any one now's what they are or if any one is interested in having a look for them selves pm me and i can take you there they are hard to catch surface you have to be looking steady

Sounds like Gizzard Shad to me.

Shame on OOD Mag, joining the ranks of the alarmist, sensational mainstream media. The fish caught were grass carp, they have been around for some years now, you don't think it got to be 36 pounds overnite. They go on to talk about them as filter feeders sucking the plankton out of our water leaving the fingerling of native species to starve, that is the Silver Carp and the Big Mouth Carp. Grass carp eat vegetation , not much different really than the naturalised Common Carp.

Want grass carp, go to Alberta, they were probably used here too before the recent panic and legislation.

Gives a bit of background on them too.

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex3446

Found this info on a government asian carp fact sheet, the 36 pounder was probably a fish from before 2004.

"Prior to 2004, it was legal in Ontario to possess Grass Carp. Ontario has enacted legislation since then to prohibit any possession, sale or transport of live Asian carps. Ontario’s Ministry of Natural Resources conducts inspections to ensure no Asian carps reach the Great Lakes area through the live food trade."

I agree with Dave524 after reading though the article again it is talking about Asian grass carp but the photo shown in the article is for sure an Asian big head carp. Those fish Gunner was talking about sure sound like a big head. We're you able to tell if the fish had scales on it or not? From what I can see the big head's have skin more similar to a catfish.

Sounds like Gizzard Shad to me.

my thoughts exactly, I remember when I first saw them breaching overnight during the spawn in hamilton harbor many years ago....I had no idea what they were either :)

The magazine article is full of misinformation. White Amur are not filter feeders like bighead or silver carp. They have been stocked and used for years in Europe and the US for aquatic weed control. These are not the fish that take over the waterways and jump in the path of oncoming watercraft. OOD should be embarrassed

Shame on OOD Mag, joining the ranks of the alarmist, sensational mainstream media. The fish caught were grass carp, they have been around for some years now, you don't think it got to be 36 pounds overnite. They go on to talk about them as filter feeders sucking the plankton out of our water leaving the fingerling of native species to starve, that is the Silver Carp and the Big Mouth Carp. Grass carp eat vegetation , not much different really than the naturalised Common Carp.

I believe the magazine printed the info they received from the CDFO , MNR & TRCA ( Rick Portis) which should be reliable sources . The OOD magazine may get some feedback on this in the next issue . If these carp are harmless , I hope to see another story in the next issue ( I get this mag)

http://trca.on.ca/news-media/news/releases/33600

The TRCA released this back in 2003 saying they have been found in the 80's in both Erie and Huron as well as Ontario , so much for them being invasive. The sensationalists would have you think they'd have taken over in 30 years the way they blowing it up in the media.

These people think grass carp are the greatest thing since sliced bread

http://www.motherearthnews.com/nature-and-environment/white-amur-zmaz80mjzraw.aspx

The filter feeding Silver and Big Mouth are bad news though.

If these fish have been around that long we should be seeing some in the 100 lb. range . After reading how much vegetation they consume I think we would already have a big problem with them now .....but after all these years it seems there hasn't been any significant increase in their numbers . Thanks for that info Dave .

They are obviously taking this grass carp find seriously . This report shows the boats with the electric prods looking for more of them . Also in this video , check out the trees full of cormorants at 2:18 ......maybe they are a bigger threat than these carp .......

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.2548469

Archived