October 1St Is Closing In!

thefrog

This being my first rear going after whitetails has me extremely excited and I have been counting down the day until I can get out into the feild. I found this article about the 300 Whitetale Club and now my excitement has gone through the roof! hope it gets everyone else just as pumped up for the season opener.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/newshound/2013/05/five-biggest-bucks-whitetails-score-over-300-inches

Those are some pretty impressive racks for sure! After more than 30 years of hunting I still get just as excited though at the site of a six or eight pointer! Good luck with your first season, and new found obsession!

got my fingers crossed for you gunner. As amazing as it would be to get a monster buck for my first one Im most looking forward to the meat in the freezer and the meals around the table with family and friends.

I've had some really nice deer run out in front of me while driving luckily they made it by and live another day but nothing like the deer in the thread I posted. We have all the proper agriculture in our area to create absolute monsters so is it the high hunting pressure that keeps bucks from reaching their full potential?

Yes hunting pressure has a lot to do with it. But it has 2 sides...one being like you mentioned and that being younger deer under 3 1/2 years being taken and two the fact there's more hunters around the less the big boys show their faces. The big ones are around foresure but with 2 gun hunts in most areas and the number of hunters...they don't show their faces too often during daylight hours or they move to places out of reach or with less frequent human traffic.

Archived