Controlled Hunt

Well I haven't had any time yet to get out with the crossbow this season but have high hopes for next weeks hunt.

Last week, I spruced up my main tree blind, set up a ground blind deep in the bush for a another option depending on the wind, and just got back in from sighting in my shotgun at Silverdale, and she is dead on right out to 200yds.

Just three more sleeps!

Who else is going out?

Yep, it is going to be a warm one! Wonder if coconut oil would be an effective attractant? Ha

And yes, you definitely have to be careful with ground blind placement both from being in the line of fire of a possible errant shot as well as having a safe back stop for your own shots. But they do have their place under the right circumstance, same as still hunting, etc.

Since I don't hunt deer I'll likely be staying home this weekend. Any time I've gone out bird hunting during the shotgun hunt it's like a meet & greet out there. Can't walk 10 feet without seeing another guy in blaze orange. I feel like I'm just in everyone's way :(

Best of luck to you all though :)

You've got to have your ground blind marked with Orange during the gun hunt I believe too.

Care to show us where this is stated? Not trying to be a dik but you are making stuff up or passing along misinformation without verifying it.

Care to show us where this is stated? Not trying to be a dik but you are making stuff up or passing along misinformation without verifying it.

Sorry I just double checked and it says under the hunter orange section" try to make a practice of marking ground blinds so their visible to other hunters".

So not necessary but a safe practice guys.

I was in the stand yesterday morning just before 6:00. Just after 6:30 my buddy texts me that there is a deer in the field walking towards me along the brush line. From where I was I have a clear view of one field and the bush behind me but not the field from where the deer is coming. I'm looking towards the corner of the bush hoping for the deer to appear, 5 or ten minutes go by then BANG! Buddy texts me deer down! Apparently it came out of a far bush and walked 3/4 of the way towards me, then change course and walked right under my buddy's stand. He thought it was a doe but it turned out to be a button buck. First one down.

The two stands we were hunting from were only about 100 yds apart and will all the commotion I considered moving spots but decided to stay put. Around 9:00 I hadn't seen anything and decided to try mixing it up a bit and took out the rattle bag, did a series of some rattles and some grunts then sat back and waited. It didn't take long. Within a few minutes i see a buck heads low to the ground about 70 yds out moving slowly along a well worn trail but the trees and brush are making it difficult to get a clear shot. I pick my spot at next clear spot and squeeze the trigger. He spins around and takes off running.

So I waited about 30 minutes before getting down and checking things out, some clipped hair on the ground but no blood. The blood trail started about 20 yards away and I follow it to the adjacent property. We track down one of the guys that hunts the property and get permission but they have 5 guys out hunting the property so decide to wait until after their done to keep tracking. So I go back out to resume tracking about 6:00 and after 2 and a half hours of searching I finally find it, a nice four pointer. It got into the nastiest Hawthorn thicket I've ever seen. That was the first deer that I had ever wounded and was on a mission to find it. So I call my buddy to meet me out there and it takes another hour to drag it back out. Definitely had to work for that one!

I guess at the end of the day you're right NS. I'll be heading down for the NY opener too, always a great time, and rifle is definitely a plus! It was allot easier this year being able to get licenses online rather than running between Walmart's looking for one with working terminals! Good luck on the opener.

Archived