Reel Repair In St Catharines/niagara Region?

Johnny Carp

If anybody knows where I can get a reel fixed at a reasonable price I would greatly appreciate it. It is a Daiwa Regal 4000 BRI, it seized up on me the other day, it is past the 1 year warranty period. The drag system is all messed up, I took it apart but to see if I could fix it but now I just have a dis-assembled reel.

It isn't really a high end reel but it has served me well so I'm hoping I can salvage it.

Thanks in advance.

JC

May be better to replace it, depending on the problem. If its a cleaning and re-grease its a 1- 2 hour job, not sure what the going rate is.

If its something to with a part, like a worm gear, it may be better to replace depending on the replacement value of the reel.

Get the same reel and keep the old one for parts and an extra spool.

I have a Stradic 4000 that doesn't have a lot of "cranking" time on it as I used it mostly for drift fishing from a boat or float fishing from shore . The pickup arm broke when it hit a fence post and I'm still dithering to get a new arm for it or wait to find an old reel that was retired for other reasons . Price always wins the battle ......

I have a Stradic 4000 that doesn't have a lot of "cranking" time on it as I used it mostly for drift fishing from a boat or float fishing from shore . The pickup arm broke when it hit a fence post and I'm still dithering to get a new arm for it or wait to find an old reel that was retired for other reasons . Price always wins the battle ......

One of the older stradics with the wooden knob on the crank smerch?

If anybody knows where I can get a reel fixed at a reasonable price I would greatly appreciate it. It is a Daiwa Regal 4000 BRI, it seized up on me the other day, it is past the 1 year warranty period. The drag system is all messed up, I took it apart but to see if I could fix it but now I just have a dis-assembled reel.

It isn't really a high end reel but it has served me well so I'm hoping I can salvage it.

Thanks in advance.

JC

Better try to fix it yourself. google the way those washer line up on schematic parts diagram, they can be tricky if they are not back in order. I have three daiwa regal, they are actually decent reel. I made my own washer from old thin genuine leather wallet, and the drag ran smooth, the reel was tested on salmon fishing. On line schematic diagram on your reel will guide you on how to put them back in order.

You can buy decent used daiwa regal reel or shimano sienna reel for under $25 at kijiji, which I did. Hiring someone to fix those just not worth the gas to get there and labor cost. most shop charges $45-65 per hour rate.

It also need proper type of thick grease on the gear, I placed the wrong type of grease on the gear on one of my shimano symetre reel to fish the recent Salmon run/season, and after turning the handle more than 100 times, it got hard and rough. After cleaning the old grease out and put the proper thicker grease, it then worked fine. I only realized then using proper grease can be that critical inside the gear.

The bearings on the handle will accumulate dirt after a while, take them out and bury them with some alcohol for half a hour, then dry them over night, add a drop of sewing machine oil when you put them back, the reel handle will be smooth when you turn them.

Many parts can be ordered free from daiwa or shimano, the bail spring and some small parts are always free, the manufacturer never charge including shipping cost. I have one Daiwa regal more than 10 years old, Daiwa sent me the bail arm spring and the mini part that holds the spring, free of charge in a box, which cost them almost $7 to ship to me. Just ensure you google and have the exact part number ready. Finding the part for your reel model is the main headache for the customer service personnel, by doing most of the leg work , they are happy to just ship the exact part to you free.

Rapala oshawa also have excellent customer service. I got a new one replace last month after it had issue, no proof of receipt needed, since the model was a recent one, and the customer service personnel gave back to me my old spool as a spare.

Have you tried shimano for free parts? Ensure you provide them with the right handle part right away, hope they do not charge you for it, try both canada and US division, use the US shipping address across the border if you have to, the 5555 porter road, niagara falls NY address only charge $2 for the first two months of storage fee. US company customer service division will not ship to canada.

US company customer service always seemed better. I had 4 brand new Spiderwire fusion line i kept for 5 years , then I tested them with weights recently , and the line broke with 50-70% of the tensile strength listed on the package, I ship some 3ft samples to Spiderwire Canada first , they sent me mono line as replacement. I was not happy about the gesture, I called US office, and insisted I spoke to the manager. Eventually, I was able to replace them with SPiderwire superbraid after I returned the mono line (at my cost) with a letter stating the US customer service manager knew about my case. I did not know braided line were only guaranteed for two years of storage as I was told.

I had a Canon camera Front lens replace free of charge due to recall, using US customer service Canon camera division, Canadians Canon customer service just shove me aside, and said old model, and no recall issue.

Better try to fix it yourself. google the way those washer line up on schematic parts diagram, they can be tricky if they are not back in order. I have three daiwa regal, they are actually decent reel. I made my own washer from old thin genuine leather wallet, and the drag ran smooth, the reel was tested on salmon fishing. On line schematic diagram on your reel will guide you on how to put them back in order.

You can buy decent used daiwa regal reel or shimano sienna reel for under $25 at kijiji, which I did. Hiring someone to fix those just not worth the gas to get there and labor cost. most shop charges $45-65 per hour rate.

It also need proper type of thick grease on the gear, I placed the wrong type of grease on the gear on one of my shimano symetre reel to fish the recent Salmon run/season, and after turning the handle more than 100 times, it got hard and rough. After cleaning the old grease out and put the proper thicker grease, it then worked fine. I only realized then using proper grease can be that critical inside the gear.

The bearings on the handle will accumulate dirt after a while, take them out and bury them with some alcohol for half a hour, then dry them over night, add a drop of sewing machine oil when you put them back, the reel handle will be smooth when you turn them.

Many parts can be ordered free from daiwa or shimano, the bail spring and some small parts are always free, the manufacturer never charge including shipping cost. I have one Daiwa regal more than 10 years old, Daiwa sent me the bail arm spring and the mini part that holds the spring, free of charge in a box, which cost them almost $7 to ship to me. Just ensure you google and have the exact part number ready. Finding the part for your reel model is the main headache for the customer service personnel, by doing most of the leg work , they are happy to just ship the exact part to you free.

Rapala oshawa also have excellent customer service. I got a new one replace last month after it had issue, no proof of receipt needed, since the model was a recent one, and the customer service personnel gave back to me my old spool as a spare.

Wow, that is a lot of great info. Thanks. I used some general machinist type oil on it so maybe that is part of the problem,plus I was using it for salmon,I put heavier line on it and it got some serious abuse for a couple of weeks. I guess I give it a go and see if I can fix it.

Avoid Vaseline or other non thick grease. The blue colored or black moly grease were useless on my reel. I tried them and the reel cranked bad after few hours of cranking, or if it gets hot. The original grease inside these reel were very thick ,very sticky to the touch. I end up putting beige yellowish axle grease which I used on trailer axle bearing, and they worked.

Testing the reel at home after adding oil or grease might seem smoother to crank initially, only after subjecting the reel to extreme cold or cranking hours, then we can tell if we have the right grease. Even improper drag washer will just slide after a few big fight with a salmon or carp, by mere pulling our line to add drag is not sufficient to test the drag system, drag gets very hot when the spool spins fast for 10+ seconds from a big fish pulling our line. I read that the metal drag washer inside the reel do get warp as they age, and need to be sanded down. Google on line to learn how to sand the metal washer slightly to make them flat straight. One reason drag needs to be release completely after every fishing trip to avoid flattening the felt washer and warping the metal drag washer.

During my testing stage, I will always bring a good spare back up reel, since I will not be able to conclude my work , only after few fishing trips

I always tell many anglers, unless we fight a salmon, reel and rod can only be tested for their durability. I have broken few reels and long rod from fighting salmon. With most regular fishing application, most reel will never be tested to its maximum capability.

Wow, that is a lot of great info. Thanks. I used some general machinist type oil on it so maybe that is part of the problem,plus I was using it for salmon,I put heavier line on it and it got some serious abuse for a couple of weeks. I guess I give it a go and see if I can fix it.

Well, oil will break down grease if that's were you put it. You may need to clean that sucker - degrease and regrease.

I myself have never done a Daiwa, but even the Shimano reels, which I have done many times...are a pain!

Dab of KY has always worked for me, use KY warming from Nov to May. Use it on all my Stradics, smoooooooooth.

Ya....supposed to work when she's really frigid out there ......good to see it works on your stradic :)

Archived