Old Lure

kgm

Was cleaning out my tackle box over the weekend and found this old lure. Thought it was interesting so I figured I'd share. A few years back my dad passed away and my brother and I divided up his fishing stuff. This one must have been his because it's most likely older than I am

dwPMoce.jpg

gz8Tnbq.jpg

This is a Helin Flatfish made in Windsor Ontario. Precursor to the Kwikfish. I caught my first 'lured' Rainbow in very muddy water in the 60's using a banana yellow with red dots that my Dad swore was his best lure. Great action. Kwikfish is my favourite lure in all sizes and finishes and I still have a few of the originals for old time sake.

This is a Helin Flatfish made in Windsor Ontario. Precursor to the Kwikfish. I caught my first 'lured' Rainbow in very muddy water in the 60's using a banana yellow with red dots that my Dad swore was his best lure. Great action. Kwikfish is my favourite lure in all sizes and finishes and I still have a few of the originals for old time sake.

This is correct. Flatfish was first manufactured in 1933 by Helin Tackle Co., and was patented in 1936. Company moved from Detroit to La Salle, Ontario, in the 1940s. In the 1950s they started making some Flatfish out of Tenite (plastic), as it was more durable than wood (esp. with bigger fish like chinooks) but they continued making wood baits into the 1960s. The Helin company folded up in the late 1980s or early 1990s, and the Flatfish was bought by Yakima Baits in Washington State. They still manufacture it today.

Kwikfish is a knock-off copy of the Flatfish that came out in the 1970s after the original Helin Tackle Co. patent ran out. Kwikfish was always made of plastic. Original owners used to come to the Toronto and Buffalo sportsmens shows and sell lures cheap, something like 3 for $10. They eventually sold out, and Kwikfish is now owned by Luhr Jensen.

I went to my old tackle box and found a sheet that tells you how tune one of those flatfish with the two double trebles to run straight.

Yes , needed to have a pair of needle nose pliers handy to fine tune those things . I visited my Old Pal box today to check out some older lures to see where they were made , but most say "Canada" , not the plant location . Here are a few spoons among the body baits .....

SAM_6960.JPG

...from top to bottom....Williams 60 , newer version

Toronto Wobbler

Red Eye , Dependon

One Eye Wiggler ....Gibbs

Five of diamonds , Len Thompson

Coffee ....I remember the banana yellow flat fish with red dots ....

I found this old one ....the yellow pickerel went ape over this .... :)

SAM_6958.JPG

I would like to see how that one casts smerch. Bet you'd get some good distance out of that thing.

....at least 150 yards using 2 lb. test line B)

Archived