Carp Sighting ..

smerchly

Took a trip to Port Dal.today , just sniffing the area for anything with fins . Took some minnows , various sizes & gave the marina a shot ...very windy , but fishable . Tried for perch with float -minnow ...notta ! Tried larger minnows for pike ...notta ! Looked for minnows ...notta one ! Tried another pike spot , shallow water ....noop again ! Went to Timmies ....won a free coffee ...YES ! :bravo: ...made my day ....

But I did see one NICE fat fish at the marina ....a very prego looking carp .....got the adrenaline going for a few seconds .....a great day to be out there regardless .

SAM_6926.JPG

the water was crystal clear at the marina , & there was a reflection from the sun ....hard to get a clear shot of a fish , A polarizing filter helps cut the glare but my pocket camera won't accept filters , I could see the carp clearly with my sunglasses on. I use Picasa for my pictures & modify them to make them more presentable ,

here is the original , uncropped shot ....

SAM_6926.JPG

....also not a good spot to hook a carp .....it would go under the docks & get hung up on cables , etc...

hmmm...when I posted the second original picture ,the 1st cropped/colour enhanced post changed back to the original also ...

I've seen people already crushing the carp in Niagara. Up here in Brampton, the ponds are still a weeee bit too cold. I'll be heading down to the lakefront in a week or so to go for some Lake Ontario Carp. Got myself a full "European" carping setup and ready to tackle the big lake.

Also, having work not starting till May means I can have a lot of the water to myself during the week :). Now if only TTP was open during the week ...

I was going to try the Green R.T. for carp but it was super muddy . ...will give it another week to clear up a little more . I have got my gear ready to go with some can/cream corn , maize , oats, corn puffs , Frank's hot sauce , and a little hemp for the soul ......carp soul that is ..... :Gonefishing:

....might try a globe of dewie on a hook too .....

I've been stocking up on some different bait ideas for this season.. Maize and sweet corn and hemp seed of course, but i'm planning on experimenting with some other baits.. animal feeds, bird seed, using crushed cereal in my mixes... Gotta get a baiting slingshot too.. And i'm going to be using homemade boiles / popups as well...especially in places where i want to get my hookbait off of the bottom... Can't wait for the bite to start !

Those carp love the hemp almost as much as I do.... almost ...

I got some hemp powder at the Bulk Barn , expensive stuff & maybe not as good as the seeds .I like to experiment with baits & rigs ....tried the bolt -hair rig last year in spots with current & it worked as planned ....they do bolt ! This year , I will try the light plan ...that is using a long float rod with a 2000 reel a small shot size to keep the corn/puff on bottom . Just need to figure what line to use . I also took put a bunch of pin holes in my corn puffs & dipped them in used fish oil to get them to be more buoyant & last longer ...it worked well . I bought a slingshot at Peter's but need more practice to get the corn out there .

I got some hemp powder at the Bulk Barn , expensive stuff & maybe not as good as the seeds .I like to experiment with baits & rigs ....tried the bolt -hair rig last year in spots with current & it worked as planned ....they do bolt ! This year , I will try the light plan ...that is using a long float rod with a 2000 reel a small shot size to keep the corn/puff on bottom . Just need to figure what line to use . I also took put a bunch of pin holes in my corn puffs & dipped them in used fish oil to get them to be more buoyant & last longer ...it worked well . I bought a slingshot at Peter's but need more practice to get the corn out there .

When you say what line to use, are you referring to your main line ? I was thinking about trying Power Pro Maxcurato (spelling I'm sure isn't right). It's their new braid that's supposed to be twice as thin as there original braid. Could be worth a look ... Interesting idea with poking holes in your puffs .. I'm going to have to try that this year for sure. Especially in the summer .. Maybe dip it in some sweet maple syrup to add more sweet flavour ... I'm making a homemade spod out of a peanut butter jar incase the carp are out of range of my slingshot. I'm probably going to be hitting up Jordan Harbour in April sometime when I'm back in Niagara for a day of carping. I can't wait !

Yes , I was referring to the main line . I have a ultra light 11' Browning that I busted just passed the 2nd piece & repaired it with another piece from an old rod inside the break . It has had a lot of use since except for carp . I was thinking of using 10lb mono on the 2000 Shimano Sahara & I need 20 lb. for the way I tie my hair rigs . (no loop or knots on the hair) I think it will be a blast ! I witnessed a 20lb carp caught on a fly rod , 8 lb leader , & the accomplished angler had no problem landing the brute . I'll take my reg .12' carp rod with me ....just in case.... :unsure: I have a bait runner reel & use both mono & power pro on it .

• 2 weeks later...

a 2000 series reel may not hold enough 10lb line for a large running carp. 10lb is fine but you may want to upsize to a 4000 series reel

I'm not sure , but either my 2000 or 2500 series reels could hold a lot of 10# thin braid . I'm hoping the long rod will smooth out the head shakes . If I feel the fight was too long and detrimental to the life of the carp , I'll stop using that method & use my reg. bait runner or other 4000 reels . I like to experiment with different gear and baits . My hair rig experiments have kept me smiling ...... :D

I'm not sure , but either my 2000 or 2500 series reels could hold a lot of 10# thin braid . I'm hoping the long rod will smooth out the head shakes . If I feel the fight was too long and detrimental to the life of the carp , I'll stop using that method & use my reg. bait runner or other 4000 reels . I like to experiment with different gear and baits . My hair rig experiments have kept me smiling ...... :D

If using 10lb braid, a 2000/2500 should be no problem. 10lb braid has the diameter of 2-4 lb mono( brand dependent). Most reels in that size area will hold between 150-180 of 8lb mono.

Only difference between the reel sizes at that point would be max drag.

Archived