Merritt Trail 12 Mile

Godfree

I've been doing some scouting lately for spots to fish that are close to me. I walked down the Merritt trail, starting in the small dirt parking lot right off of Wellend Vale road. According to google maps there is a "Lilly's" b&b right beside this lot. I walked downstream with the trail for 2km or so and found what looked to be some good spots to fish with a bit less current.

I was wondering if anyone has tried this stretch and produced anything.

There is a Search function on this site. Typing in Twelve Mile Creek will yield the answer ! But.... Since you're new to this site ... These are what I've seen in and around that stretch ...

Bass

Catfish

Sheepshead

Carp

Pike(maybe)

Smerchly is the guy who will know for sure. He's the "King"! Of twelve mile creek and will have the best answer!

Smerchly, ive had similar experience in there the last few years the very brief amount i have fished, remember having some amazing days trolling up river with crankbaits when the water was low, literally one after the other. Last few years, not so much. Then again, only fished it a handful of time lately.

Smerchly, ive had similar experience in there the last few years the very brief amount i have fished, remember having some amazing days trolling up river with crankbaits when the water was low, literally one after the other. Last few years, not so much. Then again, only fished it a handful of time lately.

Rile , I'm baffled by what happened at the 12 Mile . I have fished this creek for many years and always had good fishing . There has always been a lot of bait fish as well to sustain a good variety of fish there . Maybe the water became contaminated from farm runoff ,etc., or 2 cold winters caused a die off .....wish I knew . I 'm hoping the 12 will get better .....good place to stock some eyes !

Maybe and I'm just gunna tske loads and loads of slack here its cause guys are literally on this post listing exact locations and spots and markers and it's not the first time. Share knowledge I get that blowing a spot up with pin point info that's a bit different. What's happening here is no different then why you guys all lost it on member fonthill last year for posting a way point. Guess it all depends on who you are

The 12 is a long wide fast body of water , not easy to fish . Over the years may spots are now covered with overhanging trees & thick brush & the beavers have dropped many trees into to water and some of the old spots are now so full of underwater branches I don't fish there now . The trails on both sides are used by bikers and people going for walks . Many anglers these days drive around looking for guys fishing & watching how they are doing , asking questions , checking baits & rigs ,etc. I do that myself to see what species are being caught at a lake or river . A way point gives an exact location . Any fish pictures I post show the ground ,not the background unless it's Lake Ont. etc. We have an unwritten agreement here that we don't show small specific "honey holes" or sensitive spots that we want to keep from being trampled & trashed . I try to be careful to keep those spots out of the limelight & try to share regular everyday spot results with others here . It can be challenging .....

Well have to agree to disagree I don't fish there so it really doesn't bother me but I just found it funny questioning where the fish have gone as the two of you post about it online with landmarks and distances. To me a bed a breakfast or a factory with a name translates to an easily found address coupled with the 2 km up river or following the trail to the train bridge beside so and so place for some dude from Toronto. As per the no background pics I would think some people if not most on here would have a harder time pinpointing that vs a Google maps location pretty much

I understand your pretty good at sharing info with newer fisherman and I do respect that. Just feel this does violate the sites rule against pin pointing spots. As you know the memories of these areas for you are important ad to I'm sure many others in the surrounding area. I can't be the only one that has noticed a major influcts of or northern brothers coming this way. Share the water it's not mine I get it but green lighting a spot on the world wide Web thats a lot more fragile then let's say niagara river or erie. It's just not for me. Again smerchly I'm not hating on you I just don't like it. Opinions are opinions and as we know the Internet is very opinionated lol

I can agree to what you said , but I believe the 12 Mile is a much larger area than like Short Hills for example . Welland Vale is just another of many spots where people park and wander the banks on those well known trails . The B&B is just a place mentioned that is close to the Welland Vale Area which used to be a popular spot . Housing in that area has exploded over the years , yet I have not seen many anglers fishing there . We have had guys mention spots for pike & carp and where to access the spots on the 12 , yet there seems to be few who want to challenge the fast currents and rough bottom filled with junk over the years . So , what I'll do in the future is try to refrain from any info online & use the pm as I have been doing much more of lately . Most of my photos do not show where I fished unless they know my truck is there . I removed the critical info while still in the early stage . I'll slow it down a tad .

A gentleman's handshake after discussing without "cussing" is the best way to opine the things that we may not agree with . The smerch has been known to blab away both on paper & in person .....maybe an age thing as the days are getting shorter ......Thanks for a clean boxing match Fin & not hitting below the belt . We all learn by listening to others and keeping it clean . Best to ya & good fishing days ahead .

Maybe and I'm just gunna tske loads and loads of slack here its cause guys are literally on this post listing exact locations and spots and markers and it's not the first time. Share knowledge I get that blowing a spot up with pin point info that's a bit different. What's happening here is no different then why you guys all lost it on member fonthill last year for posting a way point. Guess it all depends on who you are

it is more about the spot. The 12 is frowned upon by most and no one cares until you mention trout.

Certain species cause people to flip out more than others as well as peoples general knowledge of whats in the area. Take Beaverdams ... because there is crappie and bass it is supposed to be a hush hush spot. Same with the welland river and walleye, however feel free to provide all the details you want about fishing the welland river for catfish and no one will ever say anything bad.

having fished the 12 in various places it us definitely not a spot for your casual sunday father son fishing trip.

The 12 is a large watershed with most of it being unfishable due to getting access to the water or having the right equipment to successfully fish the current. With the crazy winters we have had the past few years I would wager it has messed the fish up as they move around.

by the way there are walleye in there just not in numbers, they are definitely a luck catch and not a skill catch.

Snaggs .....did you say CRAPPIES ????

Where where where ??? :o

Right about the species .....That's why we have sub forums here . I may hit the same river , creek , pond or lake with different gear depending on the month or open seasons . We are fortunate to have so much water to fish in Niagara and so many species to catch . I don't stick to any one species , hence why I have a basement clogged to the rafters with fishing gear .....and so many :blahblah1: posts .....

by the way there are walleye in there just not in numbers, they are definitely a luck catch and not a skill catch. I know I have caught one there

Archived