Chocolate Water!

RyannLarge

The water where I am looks like chocolate milk! I've heard various things about what to tie on for muddy conditions and I don't know which is most accurate. I'm going to try something flashy and bright to start but do the forum members have any suggestions?

There is chocolate milk all over the place! I also preffer fishing cleaner water But the chocolate can work to you advantage. The fish can't tell you're there either so they're not spooked as easily. Fish also feed and hunt using their lateral line so when conditions are murky they still feed. Baits that produce vibrations are effective in these conditions. Color doesn't mean much when the water is muddy IMO. Neither does flash . Vibration is key. Just be aware of the regs. Pike is closed now along with bass. Make sure you targeting fish in season. If you targeting cats I've always done well in muddy water since the find food based on scent more than anything else.

There is chocolate milk all over the place! I also preffer fishing cleaner water But the chocolate can work to you advantage. The fish can't tell you're there either so they're not spooked as easily. Fish also feed and hunt using their lateral line so when conditions are murky they still feed. Baits that produce vibrations are effective in these conditions. Color doesn't mean much when the water is muddy IMO. Neither does flash . Vibration is key. Just be aware of the regs. Pike is closed now along with bass. Make sure you targeting fish in season. If you targeting cats I've always done well in muddy water since the find food based on scent more than anything else.

Won't lie I came here for pike but I remembered yesterday was the last day until may sometime. My regs book says crappie cats perch and sunfish. I don't have much to cause noise.. I didn't bring my beads because they're in my bass box. What about an in line spinner? Those can be used for bluegill right?

This weather is getting frustrating but until things start to stable up no much is going to go our way right now they are catching cats just not in

big numbers if your into cats like me i fish the welland river and the grand but the welland river is flooded out and just as the water levels get good

were hit with more rain :wall: things will look up soon hang in there

I was going to say cut or stink baits for cats in a slight current too. Just because its muddy doesnt mean they stop feeding.

Plunking in muddy water with larger roe bags where open season trout are lurking is another option.

I'll look in to everything mentioned in the thread when I get home. I might have to look into catfishing for days like today. I'd rather go out when opportunity strikes and give myself a fighting chance than go out and fishing without a chance.

Fish the river. Steelies and walters (upper) dirty water means they will be shallower. Fish mud since I don't have the opportunity to pick and hose my days. Big black flies or plastics, or chartreuse. For steelhead my go to is a 10mm chartreuse bead pegged above a jig and 3-4 inch smelt color plastic.

I wouldn't expect massive catches of sport fish, but personally would prefer to get one steelie vs some cats.

We tried Port Dal. for a few hrs.today ...choc-lite in the harbour & same above the falls . We were looking for perch , using small minnows & worms ....got 2 decent perch plus a dink & a surprise catching a small mud puppy .....very slow bite & fish barely moving the line . On the way to Port we saw about 15 turkeys grazing in short grass in an open field . ( if I had a 4 x 4) ... :) ahah ! And the "other" turkeys had their eyes on us old farts all day ! Between them , the cormorants & geese we didn't look up much ! One more day to go before the long johns come out again so it looks like a carp (try) again....or a cat or two . (corn & worms again). I also have some 3 year old frozen smelts (in H20) that the cats should like . I'll take Drifter's advise ....they still need to eat in muddy water . :Gonefishing:

We tried Port Dal. for a few hrs.today ...choc-lite in the harbour & same above the falls . We were looking for perch , using small minnows & worms ....got 2 decent perch plus a dink & a surprise catching a small mud puppy .....very slow bite & fish barely moving the line . On the way to Port we saw about 15 turkeys grazing in short grass in an open field . ( if I had a 4 x 4) ... :) ahah ! And the "other" turkeys had their eyes on us old farts all day ! Between them , the cormorants & geese we didn't look up much ! One more day to go before the long johns come out again so it looks like a carp (try) again....or a cat or two . (corn & worms again). I also have some 3 year old frozen smelts (in H20) that the cats should like . I'll take Drifter's advise ....they still need to eat in muddy water . :Gonefishing:

I might try to go out tomorrow but it might be difficult to ride a mountain bike through 10cm of snow lol. Worst case ontario I wall to port and try for cats. Also we had a bloody turkey run across our street and into someone's back yard!

Archived