Mixed A Little Something Up.

RyannLarge

I mixed different flours together with garlic, salt, eggs, cornmeal, and oats. I rolled them into balls of varying sizes and shapes (barrels, balls, egg shapes) and boiled them until they started to float. Not expecting the weather we got I put them in the freezer and I'm hoping they'll still be okay to use by the time I'm able to get my bicycle back out. I'm pretty excited to say the least.

It looks like you have everything covered Ryann ....hope you didn't stink up the house with the garlic .When I added a tablespoon of concentrated pineapple to my boiling maize , the whole neighbourhood smelled real perty . The carp had lockjaw yesterday , but the cats were biting .

I mixed different flours together with garlic, salt, eggs, cornmeal, and oats. I rolled them into balls of varying sizes and shapes (barrels, balls, egg shapes) and boiled them until they started to float. Not expecting the weather we got I put them in the freezer and I'm hoping they'll still be okay to use by the time I'm able to get my bicycle back out. I'm pretty excited to say the least.

Be careful of the flour content. You may find that your boilies will float. Not that popups are a bad thing, but I assume you want a bottom bait.

Baits like this will keep for a long time in the freezer in ziploc bags with all the air removed. It is IMPORTANT that you air dry them first though so that the internal moisture is gone. I would dry mine 24 hours before freezing personally. Otherwise, what happens is after thawing the boilie becomes extremely brittle and will crumble when pierced with a baiting needle and make them extremely difficult to rig and fish.

Finally, baits like this may take some time for the fish to become accustomed to (depending on the venue and # of carp present). A good way to establish your boilies as a food source would be to pre bait for several days or longer prior to your session. Once the carp recognize your bait as a food source it's game on :)

100% true frog088 that happen'd to me the first time i made boilies froze them not getting the moisture out and the just fell apart the next time dryed then over night they were hard and stood up after

freezing

I only waited a few hours before freezing them.. my mother needed the counter top. Also to make them not float I should put in less flour and maybe more oats or cornmeal? I have banana, vanilla, and the water from my can of tuna as well. Also, I should basically chum a couple days in the spot before fishing? I'm assuming the boilies I made yesterday won't be good for that since they do float. Maybe crushing them so they have less surface area will make them sink.

too much flour in the mix will make a floater (popup)

also depending on how you incorporate the eggs...."whipping" the eggs will aerate them too much and also cause the boilie to float (ask me how i know lol)

you only need flour to "bind" the ingredients, it should not be the majority of your mix.

in the mix you have listed, I would probably be 60% cornmeal 30% oats with the remaining 10% being the balance of the ingredients. Also some oil helps if you are hand rolling your baits as it will be less sticky on your fingers!

you can still use them just take them out of the freezer let them thaw out then just leave them to dry out after the dry out throw one in the sink see how bad the float

if they do if it floats to the surface then you will have to start again you won't be able to chum with them they will just float away

Using pop-ups, with a piece of maize can be deadly in the proper situation. Using them in very silty areas to keep your bait out of the much can be very helpful. You can use putty or small spilt shots to control the height that your maize floats above the bottom.

If you can make the pop-ups yellow, it can also look like a piece of corn. If you make them white, it can imitate bread. This is epsecially useful in places where the public is known to feed the birds. Using a white boille with a white pop-up as a kind of "snowman" presentation, as it will stand up off the bottom, looking very enticing to feeding carp.

I reccomend testing your baits in an aquarium where you can get a clear visual of how your rig is presenting off of the bottom. Add in any chum you may be using, so you can see your entire presentation and then you can adjust it from there.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm going to try to use what I made anyway because you don't learn without screwing up but I'm starting to understand carp baits a little more. See I thought the egg was a binder and the flour was just a filler

I find the puff corn floats but gets very soft quickly & it can easily slip off the hook if a carp , or goby disturbs it . I found that piercing it several times with a pin & dunking it in oil (old cooking oil) it will last much longer in the water before becoming too soft . ...even better when on the hair .

I find the puff corn floats but gets very soft quickly & it can easily slip off the hook if a carp , or goby disturbs it . I found that piercing it several times with a pin & dunking it in oil (old cooking oil) it will last much longer in the water before becoming too soft . ...even better when on the hair .

I watched a video that recommended doing that. Would unused corn oil not be better so it doesn't taste like whatever you were cooking?

I watched a video that recommended doing that. Would unused corn oil not be better so it doesn't taste like whatever you were cooking?

Yes Ryann , I saved some old oil used for cooking fish to immerse the puffs in . You can also try some stinkier stuff like sardine oil or any fishy smellin stuff. I am going to try my next brain fart , using some half cooked macaroni & stuff some raunchy tinned cat food inside . I think the carp & cats will go bananas over it . ....I know , I'm nuts , so was Einstein ... :crazy:

last summer wen't to the pet store my dog has allergies talked to the guy in the store about giving my dog pure salmon oil tried to give it to the doge would not eat it

payed $30 for it So i'm going to try it so soak my bait in it not sure if it will help or not never tried fish scent before i'm hoping it don't attract unwanted fish but then again

won't be to bad if it caught some channel cats but i seen a vid that said it work well for carp so instead of throwing it away i'm going to give it a try

Smerch. put some corn syrup in a ziploc bag. Throw your puffs in there. Shake them around and get them sticky, then air dry them on some wax paper on a cookie sheet. Makes a durable carp candy shell for your pickup :)

(you can also incorporate chili powder, cinnamon, garlic powder, whatever you like in the corn syrup)

Fish fry oil makes more sense Smerchly I thought you meant any used cooking oil :P the macaroni and cat food sounds disgusting but it's stinky, oily, and meaty. Maybe something will crush it.

I'm headed to the grocery store now to pick some stuff up. trying to make myself a list quick before I go.

I went to the new Bulk Barn at 4th Ave. ...the hemp seeds are very $pricy$ ....too much to entice the carp , better to use for my home soup ! Lots of stuff there to experiment with & cheap oats for your pack baits .

Frog088 .....that corn syrup eye candy sounds interesting .....maybe try it on the Quinte eyes too B)

If I was reincarnated to come back as a fish , I think I'd choose to be a carp ..... great cuisine to choose from the anglers kitchens !

I went to the new Bulk Barn at 4th Ave. ...the hemp seeds are very $pricy$ ....too much to entice the carp , better to use for my home soup ! Lots of stuff there to experiment with & cheap oats for your pack baits .

Frog088 .....that corn syrup eye candy sounds interesting .....maybe try it on the Quinte eyes too B)

If I was reincarnated to come back as a fish , I think I'd choose to be a carp ..... great cuisine to choose from the anglers kitchens !

I went out and bought some corn meal and oats. I didn't have time to stop by Bulk Barn to check stuff out. I also bought some stuff that I've seen used to catch catfish and I'm hoping while I'm out today that I catch SOMETHING. Taking jarred maize, canned corn, those failed boilies I made, some hotdogs in garlic and jello mix and I might buy some cut herring in oil on my way out. I hope to come back with picture I am proud to post on the forum :P

Look in feed stores for carp fishing chum. Lowdens in Smithville had 15 pound hemp seed bags for 20$. Pigeon Feed 50 pounds for $20, and my favourite binder (I can't say what it is) 50 pounds for $20.

There's enough bait in my cupboards to last ... Well, probably 2/3 months ( I usually go for 6-12 hour sessions) and in the summer it means 20 pounds or more of chum.

" I can't say what it is" .... so just spell it Jmo & I can probably figure it out :) .... The hemp seeds are cheap compared the BB .

Ryann ....you are loaded for bear , how can the fish resist ? ....looking forward to see the results . :Gonefishing:

" I can't say what it is" .... so just spell it Jmo & I can probably figure it out :) .... The hemp seeds are cheap compared the BB .

Ryann ....you are loaded for bear , how can the fish resist ? ....looking forward to see the results . :Gonefishing:

It was heavy on my shoulder on the ride over I've been sitting with the hotdogs since I got here and I've very randomly been throwing corn into a spot for the last half an hour hoping when I do switch to corn for carp they're already looking for it

Quack! is all i'll say... ;)

i use guinea pig food pellets as the binder for the feeder mix. it is available in any pet store, if you are like me and the nearest feed or tsc store is 45 minutes away.

jmo is right to test your rigs and mix but if you dont have an aquarium, a clear plastic storage box works well.

I know there's catfish in Italy that feed on seagulls but carp feeding on ducks? Crazy!

No no no ! Hahaha. I'm not using ducks as bait ! Something duck related tho !

i use guinea pig food pellets as the binder for the feeder mix. it is available in any pet store, if you are like me and the nearest feed or tsc store is 45 minutes away.

jmo is right to test your rigs and mix but if you dont have an aquarium, a clear plastic storage box works well.

I have a 55gal tank that I plan on growing a few bluegill in but I can't set it back up until my room is reno'd. My boilies ended up sinking though which was nice. I also got some intel from a few guys at the fishin hole where the carp and catfish usually hang out which will be nice for my next day off.

Archived