Glutton For Punishment

RyannLarge

No real questions or advice in this post. Just thought I'd share my experiences and thoughts.

Whether the fish bite or not I'm always happy to plunk my ass by the waters edge with a line in the water. After an incident with the resident Dickbird (Swan) at the green ribbon I had to get myself respooled yesterday. I've had things play with my jello hotdogs but if I'm honest that's all I've used and I'm pretty sure they're too large for the size of fish available where I was. I'm changing venue today after work but I'm not too hopeful I'll hook up anything but bottom clutter and sticks. I have a few general areas in mind and hope to come home with a picture or two to share with the forum but I'm sure there won't be any.

The geese and the swans have nests with eggs now and there's a whole lot of fighting going on . If they cross your line , and get tangled up , you may get schooled and spooled. :) I caught a gull and had a hard time getting the braid line off the wing ....also a few close calls with cormorants and mergansers and a couple of beavers while float fishing shallow water.....but no fish..... :(

Jello hotdogs.????

Something Americans use. Hotdogs with dry jello mix and garlic powder.

The geese and the swans have nests with eggs now and there's a whole lot of fighting going on . If they cross your line , and get tangled up , you may get schooled and spooled. :) I caught a gull and had a hard time getting the braid line off the wing ....also a few close calls with cormorants and mergansers and a couple of beavers while float fishing shallow water.....but no fish..... :(

I went down the Jaycee park area and the damn swan was there too! Had to reel in a few times because of it

You were spooled by a Swan???

It flew into my line and peeled off about 100 yards of braid. I was able to get within a few feet of the swan to look it over and it was fine. Nothing wrapped around its neck or wings. It was fifteen or twenty feet away from my line and stopped so I figured I was alright but it starring flying towards my line and I had to cut it. I was able to get most of it out of the water so I didn't leave much trash behind just a tungsten sinker a hook a bead and a couple swivels that are all probably hooked on the log the swan swam around

I went down the Jaycee park area and the damn swan was there too! Had to reel in a few times because of it

There is a large population of swans on Martindale. They take a liking to the slow moving areas. Each back bay on martindale seems to have a swan or two calling it home. Especially when you get down behind McDonalds where they build a lot of nests on the reeds.

There is a large population of swans on Martindale. They take a liking to the slow moving areas. Each back bay on martindale seems to have a swan or two calling it home. Especially when you get down behind McDonalds where they build a lot of nests on the reeds.

The one by Jaycee flew from the island over to my area and swam over to me. I was tempted to leave the spot but it ended up leaving.

It's better to reel in any water fowl rather than have it fly off with line hanging from it or hooks in it's mouth or body . There are videos on You Tube about hooking swans , etc. My biggest concern is the fishing line left at many fishing holes ....and discarded hooks (roe bags) . I have got into the habit of glancing left & right before making long casts at places like Port Dalhousie . People still toss food into the water there and the ducks, geese & swans come in from all directions .

http://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/litter/fishing

Had a swan pick up my fly once. Started swimming off with it, but thankfully it didn't hook up. I wonder what the world record for fly-rod caught swan is?

had it happen with a pelican in Florida once, those things are no fun to unhook let me tell you.

It's better to reel in any water fowl rather than have it fly off with line hanging from it or hooks in it's mouth or body . There are videos on You Tube about hooking swans , etc. My biggest concern is the fishing line left at many fishing holes ....and discarded hooks (roe bags) . I have got into the habit of glancing left & right before making long casts at places like Port Dalhousie . People still toss food into the water there and the ducks, geese & swans come in from all directions .

http://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/litter/fishing

had I of kept reeling the swan would have kept choking. I was able to recover most of the line but the swan made me break off hook.

Archived