Longnose Gar At Martindale Pond.

RaedwulfFisher

So crazy story..I'm fishing with a bobber and worm for sunfish...and then a police officer pulls up checking things out. As we're chatting....

Bobber goes down..start reeling in. At first I thought it was a pike then I said something along the lines of; "what the **** is that?!"

I caught this thing on the tiniest little piece of worm not even 5 feet from shore.

Never caught them before...

Fish are VERY active today..kept pulling out sunfish and the odd perch over and over again

ermahgerd.png

lol That's a great way to describe crappies Readwulf!!!!

Gongratz on the Gar! Nice surprise. I've never caught one myself. Great to know they're there.

Last year dad and I were at beaver dams and he hooked a nice sized gar on a popper. I don't see many despite how agressive of a fish they are.

I've been trying to catch one of the two Gar since last year. I tried a couple days ago and got nothing but largemouth. I could see the Gar swimming around which made it more frustrating

If you know how to fly fish you'll get em that way with much higher odds. I have a buddy who targets them and preaches the fly is the way to get them consistently

Haven't landed one myself yet. But the ticket from what I've been reading is a rope fly. No hook, just a section of frayed rope. The rope gets snagged on their teeth. I'll have to give it a try one day.

They had one in the fish trap at the Cootes carp barrier a few years ago that measured over 2 meters!

I've never used a rope fly but we make something similar retrofitting a spinnerbait/buzzbait with rope and it works well. I've had success using top water plugs as well. My PB was well over 4 feet on a rapala twitching it on the surface.

Archived