Carp Fishing Set-Up And Beginning Tackle

MackNap

This is my first post.... My name is Mack just really started fishing over a year ago and always looking to expand my knowledge! I have a couple questions about carp fishing too..

First off anyone got any honey holes they are willing to share..... Just kidding lol

I want to get into carp fishing but don't know what I should buy to get myself off the ground! Any suggestions would be awesome!

If you are starting out, don't break the bank. You can get very specialized gear which runs pricey.

Myself I just used my regular rod that I also use for pike and salmon. For carp I use a standard spinning real. I wish it had more line capacity though.

I also keep it very basic with a large sinker, bobber stopper to stop the sinker from sliding too close to the hook, a small hook, and corn (straight from the can) or a breadball.

If you are starting out, don't break the bank. You can get very specialized gear which runs pricey.

Myself I just used my regular rod that I also use for pike and salmon. For carp I use a standard spinning real. I wish it had more line capacity though.

I also keep it very basic with a large sinker, bobber stopper to stop the sinker from sliding too close to the hook, a small hook, and corn (straight from the can) or a breadball.

I've heard carp can easily peel off 150 yards if you get into the double digits in weight. My reel only holds about 110 yards of 8 pound equivalent which has me worried.

3000series reel is nice to have. And I like braid.

The bait runner reels for carp are cheap and I like using them with bolt rigs for those unexpected grand slams and rocket take offs ! I use med-heavy rods from 8' to 10' with 3000 -4000 series reels .Some of the old spinning reels can handle large carp well . I also like using hair rigs with either can corn or maize , depending on the gobie situation ....just bought some floater corn to try next carp trip . Check out You Tube for many hours of carp baits , rigs and methods ....tons of stuff to digest . :Gonefishing:

Hey Mack,

Lots of people here who have lots of info on carp fishing. I myself use the slightly more pricey British Gear and rigs when carp fishing. Does it catch more fish ? I'd say no. Does it make it easier to handle and play bigger fish? Yes. In my opinion it does, however, the price point isn't always beginner friendly.

I'm a sucker for particle baits when fishing or pre-baitin. Everything can be found at the dollar store, or a feed store in bulk. My personal favourite hookbait is flavoured maize (I find works better than sweet corn in 90% of the places I fish). Google up particle bait recipes and it will get you started for sure.

I think that if your going to buy equipment for carp fishing (as the others above have mentioned) a bigger sized spinning reel is a must. I use a 4500 series baitrunner, but as mentioned before a 3000-4500 will hold enough line. Plus making sure you have a good drag system is also vital. I also use a 7 foot ugly stick for swims that I cannot fit my 12 foot rod. That ugly Stik has landed carp in the high 20s with no issues.

If you decide to go the bolt rig route, PLEASE ensure that if using a fixed lead rig thag you make it so the weight can slide off if the line is broken. The carp won't last long with a 1-3oz weight weighing it down and gettin caught.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me and I'll try to help further !

Bait runner work exactly like a regular spinning reel. But it has a free spool option. So when your rod is a leaning on your stick carp can take your bait with no resistance on the line, then you pick up the rod turn the handle and freespool disengages and your back to fighting your fish on the drag

Can you cast far with a bait runner? What is the difference between a bait runner and a spinning reel? I currently use a presidential.

I can get 80-100 yards almost with a 2oz weight. Mind you my rod isn't meant for longer casts (only a 2.75lb test curve). I reccomend a bait runner, makes fishing for em a little easier plus you don't risk losing your rod if the drag is set too tight

I like the bait runner & set the drag at about 2 lbs so that the rod will bend before the back drag is engaged . You can either flip the back drag off or turn the crank handle to disengage the back drag while the front drag is set at about 10 lbs. ...makes it easier to control that first frantic run . Good suggestion on the weight JMO ...I use lighter line on the 2 oz.bolt rig in case of it getting caught on bottom . ....haven't had a break off yet . I always rig my 3 way set ups with lighter line for the weight .

• 2 weeks later...

I have a old school Mitchell 300a that I have 20 lb mono on and its paired with a M/H ugly stick that I use for large cats and carp. 

Last season I hooked into a few carp that taxed my reel somewhat so I'm looking to upgrade to a Garcia C3 6500.

If that can't get it done I think I will hang up my equipment, lol

Archived