Worth trying for pike at the Ponds @ Lake Gibson?

RaedwulfFisher

They may be in there, but you might have better luck trying gibson itself ... that being said if you do not care for size, go for it, if you want some possible 25+ inch fish ... better off trying in Gibson since it feeds those ponds and the water flows in through the two tubes that run under the road ...

Thanks for the quick response!

I have a question about using live bait..not neccesarily for pike..but.. ..what if I just went to the pet store and bought some feeder fish...wouldnt that work just fine??

That would be fine if you are looking to be fined ...

Live bait needs to come from the water ways you plan on fishing.  If not that is how you get invasives.  So you should reach out to the various bait stores in the area to get minnows, get a minnow dip net, or go on the hunt for creek chub (which I am about to do).

Also remember a feeder fish is a "low quality" goldfish ... but if properly taken care of can obtain a decent size ... depending on where you fish you will see goldfish with schools of carp ... they did not occur naturally but they found their relatives and mingle with them.  So if your goldfish escaped the hook somehow, unless it has been killed, it will be swimming and eating things in the waters. 

I know nothing about getting live bait like that..id be terrible at it..I dont have a lot of time im always so busy ...you're right..didnt occur to me I was in a rush..heading out now..thanks for the response

Holy sh*t..was just at marlatts ponds..I know bass isnt open now but got three of them with worm and bobber...saw the odd one swimming by right at the shore..what were they doing? spawning? sun bathing?

They would be into the spawn mode if they are hugging the shoreline and being aggressive to anything in their territory.

They are driven to spawn with temperatures, the seasons are a guide to when they would be spawning (or too easy to catch in some cases).  Martindale pond is a good example of this, you will see lots of bass protecting shoreline, then after they have done their things and eggs have hatched they will disappear.  Some years they are there until well after bass season opens, other years they are gone weeks before bass season.

Archived