A good morning carping

gunner-2

Hey gunner ....great fish to mount !    :)   I  mounted a huge carp many moons ago ....and it was  not bad at all ....real tough skin on those suckas ! 

I think a mirror would be a neat fish to mount .....people would think you lost a lost of scales while mounting it  lol .

What bait were you using Mike ?

I think just catching carp i s good i think there too ugly to mount i was at the lake last night for a walk with the wife came across a dead carp i bet alive that fish wen't

30+ lbs it was huge i was using peaches and cream can corn always does it for me wen't out this morning again lost 2 got this one

again peaches and cream

003.JPG

1 minute ago, staffman said:

Congratulations on your success !

Ya the carp seem to be right on now having lots of fun with them just waiting for bass season to come

Looks like a good time! I haven't been targeting them on the Welland this year but I haven't seen as many there this year as I did last year.

I went to try Gibby again today ...bite was slow , and I ended up with 2 wet feet & pants , up to my knees .  I had my rod propped on a "V" rod holder , using canned corn on a hair rig when I saw the tip starting to bend ......just before I got my hand on the rod the fish took off ....with the rod (forgot to set the back drag on the bait runner)  :( .   I had to step well into the rocks & just caught the rod in time while the carp was peeling off the 30#  line . I landed the monster carp .....must have weighed at least 6 lbs .!  Ya , it was frisky and taught me a lesson .....keep that drag loose !  I lost another one later because I tried to set the hook with the back drag on ....forgot to disengage it !   :dunno:   I'm gettin rusty !!  .....  Smarten up smercho !  :angry:

here's the little scrapper that got me and my reel soaked with water .......

SAM_7225.JPG

the research boat was there again today with 4 passengers .....

SAM_7221.JPG

I think you will see those boats for a while judging by the size of the carp in a twitter link in the above thread.

They definitely want to make sure those fish are not in there living other than a one off or so ... the size of the carp that was caught is impressive But we dont need a pair maiting.  As the invasive was in Gibby it could have easily come from Erie but better safe than sorry.  Also following the twitter thread on that carp I would wager it was released

Way to go smerch them young carp can be just as aggressive as them older guys almost lost my rod a few times do to the same thing

what smarten me up is did not wan't to jump in the welland river lol nice fish smerch keep at it

• 2 weeks later...

Archived