what am i doing wrong

gunner-2

My buddy and i when't bass fishing last night i was using a top water frog had five fish grab the frog but as fast as it grabs it gone i could not keep a fish on to save my life got so frustrating as the fish hit the frog i'm sure i was setting the hook line was tight but just couldn't keep a fish on is there a secret to using these things i never used them before has any one used these before and have the same problem or is it just me any advice to get over this hump would be greatly appreciated it would have been a great night out not that it was a bad night if i could have just kept a fish on thanks for any info the bass are LM

Are the hooks trebles Gunner ?    Good quality hooks that are kept sharp will help .  While using tubes for bass , I was missing some good hits or losing fish after a few seconds because the single hook on the lead head had a burred point after hitting some rocks .  I always keep a fine stone handy now .

This is the frog i'm using I'm feeling the fish after it hits and as my line is tight and i can feel the fish that's when i set the hook it's on for maybe 2 sec then off and it happen's every time

hey smerch the hooks are very sharp i just touch the hook and it sticks in 

001.JPG

002.JPG

I ve tried these last 2 years with little success. Tried both livetarget and lunkerhunt brands. Same problem just can't get a solid hookset. I tried waiting and still miss my hits almost every time. When I'm not in heavy floating weeds or pads I mostly use a Rapala skitterpop and have zero hookup issues, the fish devour it.  For me  the frogs are only coming out in the absolute heaviest cover where no other top water can go as they can be fished in anything without hanging up, anything else there's better alternatives imo. Anyways it's not just you

20 minutes ago, steellee said:

I ve tried these last 2 years with little success. Tried both livetarget and lunkerhunt brands. Same problem just can't get a solid hookset. I tried waiting and still miss my hits almost every time. When I'm not in heavy floating weeds or pads I mostly use a Rapala skitterpop and have zero hookup issues, the fish devour it.  For me  the frogs are only coming out in the absolute heaviest cover where no other top water can go as they can be fished in anything without hanging up, anything else there's better alternatives imo. Anyways it's not just you

In the past i have used hula poppers nd had great success hooking almost every fish now this thing it's out of my box it works good until its time to get a fish 

I did some research and found another problem with these frogs but an easy fix now i'm going to take all your advice on the 3sec wait on the setting of the hook along with what i had just researched after taking the frog out of the box 

#1 trim the tail they are to long as the fish grabs the legs the legs are to long and it misses the frogs body and just has a hold on the legs and not the body

#2 the hooks are close to the body to make them weedless and the fish has to bite down hard to expose the hooks and the firs hit the fish makes is just to stun the frog so to fix that problem

you take and bend the hooks slightly up and slightly out to the side of the body but not to much or it won't be weedless anymore now the hooks will expose at the slightest hit

#3 Well as you all said let the bass take the frog and wait 3or4 sec then set the hook

i hope this helps me out and any one else that might find they are having the same problem with these top water frogs try the modification as im going to 

6 minutes ago, I'm_A_Drifter said:

And they do miss them completely at times. Work it too slow and snapping turtles or bullfrogs will grab them.  :P

Gunner wouldn't mind if a big  surface feeding frog guzzling grass carp grabbed  it ..........B)

40 minutes ago, smerchly said:

Gunner wouldn't mind if a big  surface feeding frog guzzling grass carp grabbed  it ..........B)

You got that right smerch a nice 30 lb grass carp would be awesome 

2 hours ago, gunner-2 said:

I did some research and found another problem with these frogs but an easy fix now i'm going to take all your advice on the 3sec wait on the setting of the hook along with what i had just researched after taking the frog out of the box 

#1 trim the tail they are to long as the fish grabs the legs the legs are to long and it misses the frogs body and just has a hold on the legs and not the body

#2 the hooks are close to the body to make them weedless and the fish has to bite down hard to expose the hooks and the firs hit the fish makes is just to stun the frog so to fix that problem

you take and bend the hooks slightly up and slightly out to the side of the body but not to much or it won't be weedless anymore now the hooks will expose at the slightest hit

#3 Well as you all said let the bass take the frog and wait 3or4 sec then set the hook

i hope this helps me out and any one else that might find they are having the same problem with these top water frogs try the modification as im going to 

The ONLY thing I know about top water frogs are your points number one and two. Sometimes I'll tune into Sydney Sewell's videos on youtube and she (and a few others) have suggested shortening the legs and bending up the hooks. Apparently they are a pretty common issue with frogs.

@I'm_A_Drifter I was setting the brake on my reel and a frog jumped out of the water and tried to eat my swim bait bigger than itself. They really are odd creatures.

8 minutes ago, RyannLarge said:

The ONLY thing I know about top water frogs are your points number one and two. Sometimes I'll tune into Sydney Sewell's videos on youtube and she (and a few others) have suggested shortening the legs and bending up the hooks. Apparently they are a pretty common issue with frogs.

@I'm_A_Drifter I was setting the brake on my reel and a frog jumped out of the water and tried to eat my swim bait bigger than itself. They really are odd creatures.

Ya i trimmed the legs down and bent hooks just  very little up and to the side now i just have to get out and try it see what happens 

7 minutes ago, Lund-SS said:

Always have a follow up rod,  like a flipping jig and pitch it in the where the fish blew up on the bait. 

Very good idea never thought about that this is my first year getting serious on L.M always fished S.M good tip Lund-ss

thanks

Archived