Some help if you can

smatone2k

Was out fishing carp a bit ago there is an older guy who I see there quite often normally he out fishes me we keep are distance but I can see he always catchs like 3 to my one last time I was out he had me twenty to one and I'm not even joking he was landing them one after another now I never tried making my own baits but after this i have to I was about to go talk to him.when he packed up but just missed him on the way out I guess so I went over to where he was to see if he dropped any of what he was using it was corn but mixed in some oates r something like that now my question is the corn he had was hard and when on the hook was tough to get off I know this cuz I scooped yp what he dropped and landed a fish in mins so is it cooked then dryed not sure what the name of this bait is called so I could Google it corn almost had a red tinge to it and seemed bigger then can corn any ideas?

If he was using an oat/corn pack bait you would notice a large "grenade" being tossed into the water . I use puffed corn with this bait most times. In this heat ,both can corn and boiled maize will get hard laying in the sun quickly . There's lots of flavours to use in maize , I use vanilla or pineapple and it seems to work okay . The red colour might be raspberry  . My 55 lb. bag  of maize is 2 yrs. old & has dried up somewhat , so I soaked it in room temp .water for over 30 hrs. ,then boiled it for 30 min & allowed it to cool for another 2 hrs in the hot water until it could be easily pinched & squashed . And , I like the hair rig best .

I found this video today ....seems like an easy way to do a hair rig using the hook and loop ...... I have been looking for the soft carp line for my rigs , but no can find ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfJZwYcy5gk

It's maize for sure. Get it in bulk. I use it as one of my ingredients in my spod mix,  and sometime I use it as a hookbait on occasion (I've been catching too many on boilies lately). 

19 hours ago, smerchly said:

I found this video today ....seems like an easy way to do a hair rig using the hook and loop ...... I have been looking for the soft carp line for my rigs , but no can find ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfJZwYcy5gk

Smerch, I suggest using a coated semi-stiff hooklink and strip back as much of the coating as you need. It's light years easier to use than mono or fluorocarbon. 

Thanks for the info guys ......need to go to my vets today for dog food.....just around the corner from my local tackle shop . I heard they have some of it in the carp section .  :Gonefishing:

edit......

Well...I really screwed up today !  Dropped in to Peter's to get some carp "string" like the stuff I see on You Tube . They use it for making hair rigs . It is softer than using stiff mono so I made one using 30# braid to see how it works . It worked great , except it doesn't handle the abrasive rocks well & a retie is necessary . I didn't explain myself well enough and didn't take the time to READ the back of the package lol ! This is what I bought .....

zUPkZjZoMj1h8Ju_k6jT79_27OMXsH_A7-9woDYX

I  made up a hair rig ....dropped it into some water ....and presto .....the line disappeared right before my eyes !  :o

I then read the info on the card & realized I just screwed up !  :slap:

Well ...now I will buy some pva bags and chum my spots exactly where it lands on bottom !  At 73 , I'm still green about carping !

The two rigs above ....top one 30# fluoro carbon - corn puffs & 2 stoppers made with elastic band & string ...both stoppers well.

...bottom rig ....rubber/plastic floating corn ...stopper is just a tight knot which catches the threading needle to load up the corn ,etc.

...Still looking for the soft LINE to buy locally ( don't buy on line)  . 

HAPPY CARPING  :Gonefishing:

Wondering if all that lightening , thundering and heavy rain will affect the carp bite .....will be giving it a go at Gibby today .

If I get skunked ......I can blame it on the weather ......:rolleyes:

On August 13, 2016 at 9:17 AM, smerchly said:

Thanks for the info guys ......need to go to my vets today for dog food.....just around the corner from my local tackle shop . I heard they have some of it in the carp section .  :Gonefishing:

edit......

Well...I really screwed up today !  Dropped in to Peter's to get some carp "string" like the stuff I see on You Tube . They use it for making hair rigs . It is softer than using stiff mono so I made one using 30# braid to see how it works . It worked great , except it doesn't handle the abrasive rocks well & a retie is necessary . I didn't explain myself well enough and didn't take the time to READ the back of the package lol ! This is what I bought .....

zUPkZjZoMj1h8Ju_k6jT79_27OMXsH_A7-9woDYX

I  made up a hair rig ....dropped it into some water ....and presto .....the line disappeared right before my eyes !  :o

I then read the info on the card & realized I just screwed up !  :slap:

Well ...now I will buy some pva bags and chum my spots exactly where it lands on bottom !  At 73 , I'm still green about carping !

The two rigs above ....top one 30# fluoro carbon - corn puffs & 2 stoppers made with elastic band & string ...both stoppers well.

...bottom rig ....rubber/plastic floating corn ...stopper is just a tight knot which catches the threading needle to load up the corn ,etc.

...Still looking for the soft LINE to buy locally ( don't buy on line)  . 

HAPPY CARPING  :Gonefishing:

Come on smerch that was a rookie mistake lol. It says pva right on the front.  What would u even use pva string for? 

50 minutes ago, Tyler0420 said:

Come on smerch that was a rookie mistake lol. It says pva right on the front.  What would u even use pva string for? 

My 33 came on a stringer of boiles  that were on PVA string. Allows me to get a few whole boilies and some chopped boilies (used both in my spod mix) close to my hookbait.  You can also tie the PVA bags with them. 

I could have used some pva bags today .....forgot to take my slingshot to get the maize out there , had to hand bomb it today  (right arm is now 2" longer)  ! The string will not be wasted & I'll get some bags to try spots like where I fished today that has a nice slow steady current . The bags may allow the bait to spread out in a smaller area . No luck at the new spot and the carp were jumping . I went back to the old spot and hooked a nice 16 lb.+ carp .

Archived