Short Hills Provincial Park....eh?

RaedwulfFisher

Someone mentioned it to me today but never heard of it.

I don't care about size of fish I just like a good time bringing them in. They told me they get Largemouth bass out of there but I never heard of it. A quick google shows it's right next to decew road. I hope someone could help point me to a spot they know there as I can't seem to find any solid information on it.

Directly below decew falls all the way to martindale. Pack a back pack with food and drinks hop on your bike and explore. Or two feet and a heart beat. That's how I did it man. Nobody handed me their spots I spent many days hiking and biking. Some days great results and others not so much. Go armed with everything. Worms lures u name it. I can't just hand over exact spots. I will give a general area but u gotta do the rest. Honey holes are hard to come by. U gotta work for em

45 minutes ago, WalleyeChaser said:

Directly below decew falls all the way to martindale. Pack a back pack with food and drinks hop on your bike and explore. Or two feet and a heart beat. That's how I did it man. Nobody handed me their spots I spent many days hiking and biking. Some days great results and others not so much. Go armed with everything. Worms lures u name it. I can't just hand over exact spots. I will give a general area but u gotta do the rest. Honey holes are hard to come by. U gotta work for em

Ya I hear ya

I don't have a bike and I'm on limited time..got a 4 year old and a job at home I'm constantly working on. I'll take a look today probably

Shorthills is not worth the effort.  There are rumours or trout in there but size is small.  I have caught both largies and smallies but looking back wasnot worth the effort to hike and get into some of the areas

I hear ya on limited time. Just gotta plan and maximize the time u got. Break down the areas and work it as u can. Not trying to be mean or anything honestly. I got two lil ones and wanna make sure those honey holes r still there when there old enough to go with me. Good luck. I drive a silver Silverado with a lund boat sticker on my back window and carp fish marlatts a lot in the late evening. If u see my truck come say hi and I'll do what I can to give u some insight on some general areas 

There used to be lots of brook trout in there but as of the past couple years there numbers are declining due to the water warming up mainly because of run off from farmers fields making the water darker  as well as  the streams are running through fields that are cleared for farming which warms them  up and they like cool water I belive there is some people out there trying to fight to save them but  people don't seem to care about our water these days

Caught hundreds of Brookies in the 12 Mile , both in Effingham and St. John's, back in the sixties. Even back then all the good troutwater was upstream from what is now the Shorthills Park, we only went there if we were looking to get a few chubs for pike bait.

My best suggestion would be to use technology to your advantage. My job keeps me from home 5-6 days in a row so the time I have to spend outdoors is far to short for my liking. At the end of the day nothing beats two feet and a heart beat like walleyechaser mentioned but Google Earth is an amazing tool. alot of times you can find body's of water you never knew existed, places to park and even walking trails in some spots. Using it I was able to find a honey hole for largemouth I had always heard about as a kid. Now it's only a matter of time before I catch that wall hanger I have been looking for. Hope this helps good luck. 

Archived