Lazy Sunday morning carping( and carp! )

Mike Pike

Well, after all the rain on Saturday, it looked like Sunday morning would be nice and dry so I headed down to the harbour to cast for some carp.

Harbour2.jpg

Once the mist burned off, I cast out my method feeder with high expectations after seeing a few carp jumping off in the distance.  I couldn't quite cast out to where I saw the active fish, but I was still confident because I felt I was close enough.  A bleep or two on my bite alarm signaled fish were around my offering but, after a couple of hours, I still hand no takes.

I noticed a few bubblers in the margin so I switched up and chummed an area only about 12 feet distant and cast my bolt rig out, hoping for the best.  My rod tip twitched a a few times and I received a couple of beeps on my bit alarm but still nada.

Lots of people started to show up at this point and, although I don't think the carp are disturb by all the pedestrian activity on the pier, I do think the constant splashes and casts around my bait by the other angles may have put them off.

I decided to move to a new location and it was probably the location I should have went to in the first place.  With the moderate west wind blowing, this was the windward shoreline and best chance for a bite.

After another couple of hours of no activity, my rod tip finally started to show there was a fish milling about my pva bag and bait.  I was finally rewarded with a spirited fight from this game little battler.  At 14lbs, I was pretty please to have met its aquaintance.  lol

Carpt1.jpg

Well., that was it for the morning and I think it was a day of rest for the carp as well( lol ), but it was still an enjoyable way to spend a Sunday morning!

Harbour.jpg

Congrats Mike  , many of the smaller carp like 8 -10 lbs can really put out a great fight ,  full of spunk !  In shallower waters I like to overcast my chum area & reel in some line . I believe it helps not spooking the fish , more so while using heavier bolt rigs .

Awesome Report Mike ! 

I was was at the Harbour last weekend and managed 3 in 12 hours. It's my favourite time of year to go carping. After the first full week of chilly weather and I find they begin feeding big time !

Hopefully many more find their way into your net ! 

After 4 hrs.of fishing this morning , went 2 for 2 ....slow bite but the 2 carp put out a great fight . One at 15 lbs. & the other at 17 lbs.

Tried using the puffed corn , but some small fish steal them too easily , just bumping the line ....lots of bait fish and cormorants

close to my bait , maybe spooking the carp .....

this is 17 lbs and 32" long ....just need to fatten up a tad to hit 40 lbs .....

tgO_t8bQAODPRNx-i6-iZYASS5IHprKlMbL7Bh1R

Mike your posts always give me the itch to get out after them. Glad you got into some action. I haven't had much luck over the hot summer months but enjoy this time of year when the runs can come fast and furious.

Archived