The river

fredfisher

Ive been out on the lower river a few nights this week.bottom bouncing tubes i have had many fights with heavy heavy fish that stay down and straighten out my hooks or take my 30 lb braid over rocks and severe the line. Any guesses as to what im hooking into? Crazy and exciting! Thanks FF

Thanks guys..it has been driving me crazy and costing a small fortune trying to figure this out. I went down with 20lb test and a six foot rod wally hunting and hooked up huge! Went back with 30 lb braid...still lost em..went back with 30 lb braid,hard core hooks and a 9'6" heavy rod and still couodnt land em! I was able to get one to surface(jump) twice but it was way out there...and dark! I thought it was a monster steelie and i kid you not it was 4-5 feet long! Trying to land these fish is hard on the upper body but truly a buzz! My heart was racing like crazy!  other than the one that jumped all fish have been diving hard to the bottom which made me think sturgeon. Thanks for the help! When i land one i will post the pic here! Fred

Sounds like you need to use a carp rod  lol !   I have hooked into 3 large ???  this month while fishing Gibson for carp . These fish also hugged bottom and headed for heavy weed beds where I would lose them. My 30# braid and 12' - #3 carp rod could not turn them . I believe they are carp , maybe big grass carp , or "something else" . Sometimes my braid gets raked over the "coals" and I have to strip some off and rig up again. 

I need to find a better braid or a long 20-30# fluorocarbon lead (about 20') .  The 30 # braid I'm using is soft and frays too easily . Maybe that may work for you Fred.

1 hour ago, Chrisb said:

You can still post picture of catch and release as long as you not targeting them.

Taking a picture is not immediate release, which it must be for lakers right now as well as sturgeon

15 hours ago, Catfish said:

Taking a picture is not immediate release, which it must be for lakers right now as well as sturgeon

So I guess you can't take a pic of an in season fish like a muskie that doesn't make the size limit or a out of slot Walley with that thinking, Quit spreading this crap .

This BS falls in the same category is 20 Mile Creek is a sanctuary upstream of the QEW bridge after trout closer.

15 minutes ago, dave524 said:

So I guess you can't take a pic of an in season fish like a muskie that doesn't make the size limit or a out of slot Walley with that thinking, Quit spreading this crap .

This BS falls in the same category is 20 Mile Creek is a sanctuary upstream of the QEW bridge after trout closer.

Read this

https://www.ontario.ca/page/fishing-limits-size-restrictions-and-catch-and-release

It says "fish caught during a closed season must be immediately released in the manner that causes the least harm to the fish".

Certainly not crap I don't think. Coming straight off the MNRF website.

1 hour ago, Catfish said:

Read this

https://www.ontario.ca/page/fishing-limits-size-restrictions-and-catch-and-release

It says "fish caught during a closed season must be immediately released in the manner that causes the least harm to the fish".

Seriously, I worked for the MNR for a few years in my younger days and shared a boat fishing with and spent a few days afield or in a duck blind hunting with CO's that I would call friends, also as a Hunting Instructor for the course to get your hunting license I had close ties with CO's. They are now older and retired like me but unless the current breed of CO's are a bunch of pricks and Aholes looking to fill their quota you will not be charged for a quick picture. If you put it on a stinger or in a livewell for a trip back to the dock because you forgot the camera  , your guilty. 

I have heard that CO's and those in the business regularly check forums like this one often. I read the regs too and my deduction is that if you catch something OOS or such, you must return to water straight away ,do not pass go,no selfies ect. If theres a modern day CO viewing this thread please enlighten us. 

FF

5 hours ago, fredfisher said:

I have heard that CO's and those in the business regularly check forums like this one often. I read the regs too and my deduction is that if you catch something OOS or such, you must return to water straight away ,do not pass go,no selfies ect. If theres a modern day CO viewing this thread please enlighten us. 

FF

I agree, that would be amazing if they would post. It sure would clear some confusion on commonly debated topics such as this. It would also shed some light on the best possible way to protect the fish when out of season for some of the less advanced anglers on here. 

13 hours ago, Catfish said:

Read this

Scrolling down on this link  it says .....

Handling the fish

• keep fish in the water as much as possible
  • if you need a landing net, use one that is coated or rubberized
  • wet your hands, or use wetted fish-handling gloves
  • don’t touch a fish’s gills or eyes
  • hold the fish horizontally and support its belly
  • do not suspend fish vertically, especially large fish
  • photograph fish in the water when possible, and be sure to have your camera ready before you hook the fish

Does it make any difference if the fish is oos or in season if a photo is taken ? I see a larger problem with fish weigh ins and lipping large fish than taking a quick shot .  The problem with posting pictures of oos fish is it may give others the wrong idea the fish is in season or the whereabouts the fish were caught . Yes. we have plenty of unethical bad a$$ anglers out there .....I got tangled up in a bunch of heavy mono line today at the Port circus and almost lost my balance ......don't take your dogs there , it could cost plenty to remove a roe bag/hook ....

Wow beating the dead horse i see.  Heres the truth.  If you catch an oos fish let it go. Dont be a loser.  Same with a snagged fish.  Even if it is or isnt in the rules you should have some morals and not take pics of a fish you caught cheating.  Thats my opinion and its the right one. If you take oos pics and post em youre a loser and a cheater and a liar. Basically you have 0 credit to your fishing status. Catch em the right way and in season take all the pics you want (even tho thats a whole other can of worms with guys holding fish out too long improper handling etc)

I have to agree with your high morals on this Canalinvader . I should have said it makes no difference ' to a fish" if a photo is taken out of season . I made the mistake of posting a picture of a small sturgeon I caught a few years ago . After being "educated" I would not do that again . Fishings forums such as NFN , etc. do help getting the "word" out .  It's time the MNR included more on fishing ethics in the reg.books . That would include leaving our fishing environment clean of all garbage such as  fishing line & butts ......

If I am not mistaken, I read a forum post about this somewhere before. I believe someone even went as far as contacting the ministry to settle the debate. To summarize, by taking a picture of the fish you are exposing it to "more harm" (weather that may be cold, heat, air, hands, etc.)  than you need to (you are no longer "releasing the fish" as soon as possible). On the links provided above, it mentioned "Photograph fish in the water", I read that as take a picture when the fish is swimming away or as you battle with the fish!

Just my $0.02!

Thanks really its up to the mnr. They hold all the power..... They can charge you with the INTENT to do something.  What most people think is mnr has less power than police when really they have much more.  They are allowed to search ANYTHING that has to do with fishing without your consent or a warrent.  They can go into your bags phone car house (but they need to ask yo look in your pockets) if someone pissed in his cornflakes in the morn he or she can give it to you hard or they can let you go with a warning.  Its stupid to debate the fine details of taking pics of oos fish.  It says ya cant so dont. Simple. Wana challenge it? Get a lawyer and take on the ministry.  Good luck

32 minutes ago, Canalinvader said:

Thanks really its up to the mnr. They hold all the power..... They can charge you with the INTENT to do something.  What most people think is mnr has less power than police when really they have much more.  They are allowed to search ANYTHING that has to do with fishing without your consent or a warrent.  They can go into your bags phone car house (but they need to ask yo look in your pockets) if someone pissed in his cornflakes in the morn he or she can give it to you hard or they can let you go with a warning.  Its stupid to debate the fine details of taking pics of oos fish.  It says ya cant so dont. Simple. Wana challenge it? Get a lawyer and take on the ministry.  Good luck

it does not say i may not take a picture.  please stop telling people this.  In todays technological advances there are many ways to still capture a perfectly legal picture of an out of season fish.  For example; if I'm fishing the lower niagara during closed laker season, but open salmon brown and rainbow, i am fishing roe bags for my intended trout species, i then look a lake trout! Oh no, i broke a law!  Fear not, as I have my Go Pro camera running, and it is taking photo/video of this entire interaction the whole time! hands free!  i keep the fish in the water the whole time, briefly entrapping the OOS fish in my rubber lined landing net, then i proceed to wet my hand and tail the fish in order to upright him/her for a safe revival.  Cant afford a Go Pro? Enlist the help of a fellow angler.  Its not necessary to remove a fish from the water to take a picture or break the law.  

brief recap of MNR recommended fish handling procedures:

Handling the fish

• keep fish in the water as much as possible 
  • if you need a landing net, use one that is coated or rubberized
  • wet your hands, or use wetted fish-handling gloves
  • don’t touch a fish’s gills or eyes
  • hold the fish horizontally and support its belly
  • do not suspend fish vertically, especially large fish
  • photograph fish in the water when possible, and be sure to have your camera ready before you hook the fish

fish in the water; check

landed net rubberized; check

wet my hands; check

held fish horizontally in net supporting its weight; check

do not suspend fish vertically; check

photograph fish in the water with camera ready before hand; check

releasing the fish:

Releasing the fish

• lower fish gently into the water — don’t just drop them
  • if a fish can’t swim away immediately, support it in the water until it swims off on its own
  • never place fish intended for release on a stringer or in a live-holding basket

lower fish gently into water; check (it never came out)

fish was supported in water until revived; check

was never placed on a stringer; check

So in other words, you can in fact take a picture of an OOS fish, just be careful on how you do it.  But thats just my $.02 on the subject.  

429467_10151384249516528_1568026151_n.jpg

Thats great. Again youre splitting hairs here sure thats fine u got a go pro congrats sweet you film and post all the fish you catch because you need someone to tell you good job.  But if you post that video or pic now youre in another category.  Stop arguing it its the law all youre doing is giving people the go ahead to take oos and snagged fish pics. You take pics of your snagged fish too? Hold the lure or bead in the top fin and smile!  Chhheeeeese!

I would be thinking sturgeon too because laker's don't usually jump lol, and a 4-5 foot laker is a massive fish and lake trout that big are pretty scarce in our area. But the fact that you suggested that you were catching them at night while walleye fishing suggested that you were probably using plastic minnow type baits or some sort of minnow imitation, so you were possibly hooking Chinooks which are typically active at night, jump and grow pretty large. they also do attack baitfish imitations this time of the year out of aggression. So I think that could be your culprit.

Archived