2017 Guaranteed Group Sizes for Moose Tags

This years guaranteed group sizes for moose tags were released today and they aren't pretty for most if not all WMU's. 

We should be set for this year however I wouldn't be surprised if it was our last year pulling a guaranteed tag if the trend continues. Hopefully I will be able to take my kids on an Ontario Moose hunt one day, instead of the hunt becoming a fond memory!

It's getting that bad is it? don't sound good I.m sure things will turn around is this just for rifle hunts or does it effect bow hunters as well ?

9 hours ago, Surf and Turf said:

This years guaranteed group sizes for moose tags were released today and they aren't pretty for most if not all WMU's. 

We should be set for this year however I wouldn't be surprised if it was our last year pulling a guaranteed tag if the trend continues. Hopefully I will be able to take my kids on an Ontario Moose hunt one day, instead of the hunt becoming a fond memory!

I hunt WMU 47 and there is ONE adult tag (bull) for the entire area! We see plenty of different moose in the area we hunt during the fall hunts. If the MNR think that the population is in that bad of a decline then why not cancel the hunt altogether and let the animals repopulate? Doesn't make sense to me that they are still allowing the calf hunt to go on.

Hey gunner,  yeah unfortunately it is getting pretty bad. We have hunted 26 the last 4 years.  Four years ago you needed 7 guys for a tag, this year 12. Even in Nakina over the past couple of years it has gone from 2 to 4 to 7 this year.

Bubba, you are absolutely right. On one hand they are cutting tags to nothing in units where guys are reporting seeing lots of moose, while in many other units it's easier to get a cow tag than a bull tag, it's hard to make sense of it all. I agree with you that they should cancel the calf hunt and would go further saying I'd like to see them cancel the cow hunt as well.

10 hours ago, gunner-2 said:

It's getting that bad is it? don't sound good I.m sure things will turn around is this just for rifle hunts or does it effect bow hunters as well ?

It is equally bad for bow hunters from what I can see too.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived