Rain!!!

bigugli

Been brutal I headed out cpl hours last night because I knew more rain was coming water was like mud but the carp were on picked up my first mirror and 3 Commons plus lost 3 my girlfriend picked up a nice cat fish too was non stop I couldn't believeit with the condition will try and post pics after for some reason photo bucket won't let me connect any one else having this issue 

Rain finally subsiding , but much damage has been done . Low lying areas like Port Dal. are flooded ,& the bridge at the GRT on Martindale Rd. is closed due to erosion . As I drove down 3rd St. yesterday , the deep ditches on both sides were at the top limits. The water all goes to Martindale/Dalhousie . Add in all the other ditches, tribs, and road runoff , it's easy to see why the lakes are overflowing . It seems when we have a mild winter , we get $hit for a spring . It should be 18*C but we are getting 8*C. and soggy feet . .....and yes , this is fishing related .....kind of puts a damper on getting out there with a rod eh ?  :unsure:

a bunch of pics.from the paper ......much easier to post than downloading one at a time with my camera....:)

http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2017/05/05/martindale-bridge-shut-for-emergency-repairs

3 hours ago, Fresh Fish said:

The water in Lake Gibson still very low. :unsure:

Controlled at Allanburg  at the canal , and by the hydro dams at the 12 Mile .  They have been keeping a pretty steady water level there .

Finally the rain is done. My local fishing holes are toasted. Flooding so bad there's water in places I've never seen it. 20' wide creek is running 60-80'wide right now. Hopefully not too much will get washed away. Looks like there will be new fallen trees and log jams to fish.  

Visited Dalhousie yesterday .....highest water level I have ever seen there since fishing & swimming there in the 50's ! Here's a few shots .....

...the break wall across from the SCGFA ....solar light 12 volt battery well under water ....

c-sdl1OQRuLLsKrAQpjkOYrZTpjXbcSpHJMEMWR_

...west wall well over the banks....

YQLBMt46T4_0TLtzdteqZ3O8Upv5KANMa-_E3Yj8

... walk bridge entrance under water.....

A_r1z6GS3zYyz8aeVecjvwgv9gB1daCiN9DsxrKC

As I was leaving , I got a shot of THE TROUBLE MAKER !!!  This is why the water is so high !!  Damn !!!

FK-7y_GJ19ROiI8j6gZWEloLTev62aAqBnng1rwc

Hey Smerch ....I was there today , checked the east side , and what a mess !   There is so much debris from logs, branches, lots of nice driftwood pieces , plastic bottles  , Tim cups , cans ....and tons of styrofoam & kazillions of styrofoam pellets along the east pier wall and inside the marina . A major clean up is needed and that includes all the overflowing garbage pails that the city can't find time to empty . Some shots.......

cement wall is under water ....sandbags all around the lighthouse ...

Q0jnfgqoU_aCsLu0zBmGIygr2NKgScgjUF85LPcY

major cleanup needed .....

x3OXtpdTu5OzTAjdsvnv2YKffQCkjEey3pSgFtIU

The white stuff is everywhere including along the marina bank....how do you clean this up ?

4X84oskjwyN0-cMoWquayApRZzmYvN_3MhyIU-lz

As you can see there is a big combo of trash here .....Plastics is the curse of today's society .....

G_OLkjFPFz6dXXqTTjfRC9IrjHeYyg_rmCgRViJR

The marina took a hit as well ....think it came from both over the pier and the lake during the N.E. winds .

But alas !  In today's paper , there is going to be a big cleanup at Port Dalhousie this weekend by a volunteer group (kudos to them) :worthy: I think they will need a BIG shop vac .to suck up those little styrofoam particles .

Forgot this shot of some fish remains that I found at the lighthouse ......at least it will decompose fairly quickly......

NRmGf68lzxxWc2csnFadGsFNfHWDsLL5FQIVrhP5

Wow what a mess looks like that beaver will have to start all over again lol.Looks like someone got some nice fillets but they could have through them in deeper water and not on the shore line that kind of thing gets them anti started people don't think

It's not just this area that's getting flooded. Just got back from a job in Kapuskasing and every lake and river we passed was over the banks/shoreline. One boathouse I saw had only a foot of the doorway above water. Passed by our camp river just north of Kirkland Lake and the railroad bridge we normally sail through had the water only a foot from the span.

As for the fillets on the shoreline....what a bunch of ignorant slobs to leave them there. There is no excuse for that kind  of behaviour from anybody.

11 hours ago, coyotehunter said:

It's not just this area that's getting flooded. Just got back from a job in Kapuskasing and every lake and river we passed was over the banks/shoreline. One boathouse I saw had only a foot of the doorway above water. Passed by our camp river just north of Kirkland Lake and the railroad bridge we normally sail through had the water only a foot from the span.

As for the fillets on the shoreline....what a bunch of ignorant slobs to leave them there. There is no excuse for that kind  of behaviour from anybody.

Yes ,  anglers who toss garbage and leave their fish guts to rot and stink make us all look bad......Visitors who come to Port must be disgusted when they see all the garbage at our parks and recreation areas !

We used to fish the Kap area (Rufus Lake , Opasatika ) etc...Much of the watershed there flows into James Bay . If some of the rivers you mentioned are flowing south into the Great Lakes , it is going to take a many weeks before we see Lake O drop to "normal" .

Archived