Muskie - my dream fish

RaedwulfFisher

I don't think this is worth arguing ......When we introduce our kids to fishing , it's for fun , catching little pan fish & progressing to larger fish as they get older, hoping to get them hooked . Many fishing tourny's are c&r  (bass , salmon, carp) . (Take note on the care releasing some species)

I fish for carp for the great fight & use small hooks which seldom are swallowed ...the line would be cut short if the hook was too hard to get out with  pliers . Compare our angling to the tons of fish taken by nets everyday and the insane amount of "non targeted" fish that are tossed away (dead), or the tons that are destroyed by man made pollution or careless leaks from industry , etc.

When fishing deep water , some anglers keep only the "jumbo's" & toss the "dinks" back to  "live another day" ....but more likely don't see another hour ....

Sensitive subject ? I think it's not really about ethics (within reason) . I frown on spearing or bow hunting fish when it's not for food , but I accept it when it's within their legal rights .  If anglers were worried about releasing fish unharmed , using barb-less hooks would be a good thing .....

Cheers    :Gonefishing:

1 hour ago, brookie slayer said:

So you do practice c&r. Targeted or not..kind of hypicrital to diss that genre..

my original comment was directed to a 100% catch and release type, yeah I let fish go as per the regulations or if they are not palatable in my estimation , but to fish with never the intention of putting a meal on the table , there is no good reason to do so except to get your jollies at the expense of an animal's  pain, suffering and sometimes death.  Yeah I put 30 plus steelies on the bank some days back in the 80's and let them all go, but now pushing 70 years of age that seems just a little obscene and selfish now, some day your way of thinking will mature as well.

53 minutes ago, smerchly said:

When fishing deep water , some anglers keep only the "jumbo's" & toss the "dinks" back to  "live another day" ....but more likely don't see another hour ....

The most obscene practice is the trophy sized smallmouth fishery in the fall off deep water humps in Lake Erie and they have to poke them with hypodermic needles to deflate the air bladder so they sink, OOPS , I mean swim away.

Guest brookie slayer

If it matures to the point where I'm comparing c&r to dogfighting i might have to find another hobby..... Peace

20 minutes ago, dave524 said:

Yeah I put 30 plus steelies on the bank some days back in the 80's and let them all go, but now pushing 70 years of age that seems just a little obscene and selfish now, some day your way of thinking will mature as well.

I'm pushing 75 Dave ....and it's funny how we see some things in a different light as we get closer to the "grim reaper" :ninja: .....I get a guilt complex when killing a gobie ....:unsure:,,,,they look at me kind of strange ......:angry2:,,, But I think we have come a long way since the 80's .....more rules and regs. and  knowledge about our environment , etc.

Guest brookie slayer

I don't partake in many dicussions on this forum so if I crossed any forum lines I apologize..

I respect all opinions whether I agree or not....to be hunting and fishing and providing for your family at your age is commendable Dave524..I respect that. I know how fragile life can be..

Funny thing is 90%of my fishing excursions are intended for the table also. So I can relate to what your saying..Pops always taught me never harvest anything I won't eat...I think that's why after almost 40 yrs of hunting I still can't shoot a coyote. lol.. 

On 5/30/2017 at 1:58 PM, dave524 said:

There is a kill factor in C and R fishing , most of the data puts the death count anywhere between 10% being optimistic and 20% on the pessimistic side, of course it varies too with the time of year, species of fish, depth they are caught at and the skill of the angler.  So those C and R  fanatics that brag they release several times the daily limit in a day probably kill more than the guy who takes the first few he catches home for the table. 

Edit: there is something morally wrong with using an animal solely for entertainment with no other good reason, maybe because I was a hunter as well and did not waste the game I took.

You're being a bit extreme. I love the fish and handle them gently and keep their time out of water to a minimum. If they die they die....I love fish...but they're just fish. You can't super impose what a human feels onto a fish. A human being is a highly intellectual animal with an advanced nervous system. Fish and Humans are a completely different biological organism. Fish don't feel sad or happy or calculate the day ahead..they don't think years down the road and plan retirement..they're just fish...very simple very basic creatures. 

• 2 weeks later...

This seems to be quite an intense discussion..........I haven't read all of the comments, but find this topic to be very interesting.....Go out, have fun, and respect the beautiful environment that God has provided for all of us.........................B)........................

On 6/12/2017 at 10:36 AM, jay33 said:

I bagged one little muskie on Sat. Only out for a couple of hours.

20170610_111704_zpskrcpfwdd.jpg

Nice..love them..love them..love them....Now that Muskies open I've been catching nothing but Pike at Gibson haha..go figure. I'll take a Muskie any size I don't care if it's a baby I just want to say "I caught a muskie"

Niagara river upper or lower has lots of them. I just never intentionally target them, that was how I  got them with whatever I have been using to target bass or trout during season. I caught them with spoon, jig on grubs, bucktail, crankbait, spinners etc...

Even at kawarthas lake, I got them when I was not aiming for them, but when I tried to aim for them, lots of followers to the boat, but no takers, even with our figure 8 trick, , I just got tired from using big lures to try to entice them.

Lots of line break off and lost lures after a fight.   

Archived