Question

Tyler0420

I'm thinking they are along the shore line right now me and a buddy was out at port abino 3 days ago and we can see them swimming along  the shore line big groups of them

but you might hook into them

I'm not sure if they have completed spawning yet .....a crazy year because of the high water levels . I've seen many of them in very shallow waters which would normally be dry now . I have caught them in 4 fow and a few days ago I got 3 carp in 15 fow then skunked the next day . The heat we are having should get them feeding in the "usual" areas . I may give Gibby a try tomorrow in a couple of shallow spots 5-6' deep .  ( maize , pack bait/corn puffs) ....wish I could use 6 rods to see what they want for dinner......B)  

look for a tan van man , with Harley stickers on back doors......:Gonefishing:

I've seen cruising carp in bays, harbours and river mouths.  The key I think is the warmer waters.  Beyond just heading for spawning areas, they're searching for warmer water, so that's why I'm not targeting the main lake, myself, anymore.    

On 2017-06-13 at 10:57 AM, Bubba14 said:

My son and I were out in the canoe on Saturday in Jordan (managed four cats) and saw and heard TONS of carp in the shallows. 

The carp SHOULD be biting and not playing in the shallows now . I've been having more luck in deeper water ( 15' ) . I went zeerow for one today ....had a good one on the line for 15 seconds until it hung me up on something on the bottom ....first time that happened at that spot . I pulled it free with all 3 kernels of maize still intact .

And it was a pleasure meeting you Bubba .....will have to meet up for a canoe fish soon .

I had two the other day run me into something and had to break the line both times never had it happen befor and been fishing there steady this year I can't believe how smart they are keep running meinto the rocky shore too makes it intresting 

Dey is too schmart sometimes !   But I was smarter today !  Landed 3 about 7-8 lb average , and they all hit hard & peeled line before I got my hands on the rod . For their size , they were very spunky especially when they saw the net .( Good job on the net knightfisher !! ) All caught on maize/hair rig .....with a semi bolt which seems to be working well .  VERY windy conditions , some rain , some sun , good chop on the lake blowing into our rods .Better times ahead !  :Gonefishing:

For true Mike !  I have lost a few that found heavy weeds either straight out in the lake  or shore , and one got me hooked up under some roots from shore brush . A few days ago the 'smart' carp found a a rock or something , down about 12' and got away .  Must have been an "old" carp .....:)

Tomorrow is looking good ......hope to give it a go   :Gonefishing:

On 2017-06-23 at 7:51 PM, Mike Pike said:

I think that no fish is as good as a carp at finding snags and weeds and using them to their advantage during a fight.  They are masters at it!

They got me today !   :unsure:   Fished for 1 hr.& 40 min. & nothing happening . Soooo.....I needed to have a "quick" whiz in the bushes .....backed off the  drag on the bait runner , very loose & had a quickie . Back to the rod ....line was peeling off and fish was wayyyy out there on bottom !  It ran out about 100' of line while I was whizzin !! (back turned) . I'm sure they "KNOW" !! :tease: I baited up with maize again & waited about an hour for the next hit ...  It made a short run ......then , my line snapped !... about 20' from the hook !  ( 30# braid)   I'm sure that carp that ran 100' of line managed to run the braid over some rocks , etc. (drop off there) and I didn't see the frayed spot ...will have to check the line more often after long runs.....funny the line didn't break with that fish , but it was a smaller carp . I hope that carp can shake that 20#  6" mono lead. Thinking of going back to using mono line on my reel !  When fishing solo , maybe better to reel the line in when nature calls . ( which happens more often with the old dudes) :rolleyes:

Still , a nice day to enjoy the fresh air & sunshine .

4 minutes ago, smerchly said:

They got me today !   :unsure:   Fished for 1 hr.& 40 min. & nothing happening . Soooo.....I needed to have a "quick" whiz in the bushes .....backed off the  drag on the bait runner , very loose & had a quickie . Back to the rod ....line was peeling off and fish was wayyyy out there on bottom !  It ran out about 100' of line while I was whizzin !! (back turned) . I'm sure they "KNOW" !! :tease: I baited up with maize again & waited about an hour for the next hit ...  It made a short run ......then , my line snapped !... about 20' from the hook !  ( 30# braid)   I'm sure that carp that ran 100' of line managed to run the braid over some rocks , etc. (drop off there) and I didn't see the frayed spot ...will have to check the line more often after long runs.....funny the line didn't break with that fish , but it was a smaller carp . I hope that carp can shake that 20#  6" mono lead. Thinking of going back to using mono line on my reel !  When fishing solo , maybe better to reel the line in when nature calls . ( which happens more often with the old dudes) :rolleyes:

Still , a nice day to enjoy the fresh air & sunshine .

At least you didn't loose your rod. ?

On 2017-06-24 at 8:33 PM, DNorton said:

At least you didn't loose your rod. ?

Kudos to the bait runner reel !   I went back today ...very slow bite ...water mucked up a bit from torrential rains . After about 90 min, the reel was peeling out line & after about 10 seconds I was hooked on bottom ! I gave it a good tug & the fish was still there . I scooped the small carp up in my net to set it on some thick grass .....and noticed another hook in it's mouth ....and a 1.5 oz sinker hanging down ......and about 25' of line !  Nope ...it was not the fish I lost there ! This rig was a very good custom carp rig .....the kind you see in carp web sites ....from Europe !  The line was mono ,about 20# , and the hair rig was done by a pro ....MIKE...did you lose a carp there ??  :)

That was it for the day ......will give it time to settle down and WARM UP a tad before going back ....maybe get MY rig back !

Here's a pic of the nice rig and line I took from the happy carp today ......familiar to anyone ?  

4VoPqRJUYMZe01yet-tbLrCLTJC-b2Hc0pTIBPd7

LOL  No, not one of mine Smerch, but it IS one of the pre-tied carp rigs sold at tackle shops now.  I buy them myself because they're tied so darn well and the tubing on the hook shank creates a really aggressive hook hold on the take.  I find I use 'em for probably 50% of my fishing( plus, I'm lazy.. lol ).

You probably made a carp very happy there dislodging all that extra 'luggage' from it.  Well done.

Your earlier trip with the break off due to a frayed line reminds me of a Hammy Harbour episode I had last year.  I had a similar break off while fighting what felt like a decent fish.  My 17lb mono was all frayed around the cut, and I realized keeping the line tight and low along this rocky shore area was a mistake.  Now, I keep the rod tips pointed high on the stand so the line doesn't end up rubbing on the bottom with the current, waves, fish runs, etc.

Mike ...the problem with this part of Gibby is the 45 degree drop off about 20'  from shore , from 5' to 15' ,complete with rocks & weeds at the top of the drop off (not sure about zebra mussels in there....Keeping the rod tip high should help but I find the wind affects the rod a lot .( more slack in the line may help)

I like that rig & would tie some if I can get all the material . I was told this type of rig sets the hook in the bottom lip most times . The mono line used is thin diameter and very strong and looks like flurocarbon line which would help with the fraying ....a little stiff but may be worth a try . My very soft 30# braid does not stand up well . The 1.5 oz egg sinker was fraying the braid so I added a short run of 30# FC. Thinking has changed lately to have a soft hair rig , especially the hair which should get more pick ups . 

• 2 weeks later...

I was there today. Lots of carp cruising. I tried your weighted fly trick and got one to take it.  Most not interested probably because I was running straight braid to the fly. (Only had spin rod) i seen a fly guy catch a few. 

Archived