Hair Rig "Rocks"

smerchly

I stumbled upon this short video when browsing You Tube .....I  sometimes find neat ideas that I may use or improve to suit my specific  tastes .

I liked the idea of using a drill to twist wire tightly .....may come in handy for making strong ski leaders/lures , etc.

Have a boo .......nice monster carp caught with help from the "stone rig"    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWrmwLwIC5Q

If you really want to fine tune your hair rig look into blow back rig and using hook aligners. Since I switched I have dropped very few fish and had less short runs. You can make the aligners yourself with shrink tube or buy them premade to slide over hook eye.

7 hours ago, trouttamer said:

If you really want to fine tune your hair rig look into blow back rig and using hook aligners. Since I switched I have dropped very few fish and had less short runs. You can make the aligners yourself with shrink tube or buy them pre-made to slide over hook eye.

Thanks for the tips ....I tried the 15# mono today , using the custom hair rig donated to me by a friendly carp . The 1st carp today , about 5 lbs . was no problem on the rig ,but the 2nd carp peeled out 100' of line , hugging bottom , and broke off .....I reeled in the line to find the last 25' frayed in spots. Good bye custom hair rig ...lasted under one hour !   :(

. I rigged up again ..... another hard hit and line peeling out again , hugging bottom but going in a different direction ....Then it got off !  What a day !  :huh: ??? All this within an hour . Then , a couple of Dan's showed up ....chatted about my dilemma and the rod started singing again . THIS time , with the help of Dan (K) , a nice 10 lb. mirror was netted .  Made the day !!  :D

.  Mirror Mirror on the NET

Who's the greatest carper yet ?   :)   ....ahaaa  !

Nessie weighed in at 10 lbs .....

odmF3Vzqi2bSCpUAS89p12Lwik8UHJMQ1eJDuQ3G

She's a tad ugly ....scared off the other carp ....:unsure:

Smerch, don't worry about losing that custom hair rig.  Knowing you, the fishing gods will smile upon you and you will once again catch the carp with the hair rig!

And congratulations on the mirror.  Don't call it ugly, it has a mother( lol ).  I've yet to catch one but will celebrate when I do!

Archived