Where's da carp?????

Mike Pike

I was looking forward to a river adventure this weekend with my fishing partner, but he had some auto issues so I was on my own.

I choose to head to a more urban locale where I could fight and net the fish easily, since I would be doing it by myself.  From my Hammy hometown, it was a place on the way to Toronto that I was skunked at twice this year, so I was out to exact some revenge!

I have to mention, while I was walking around choosing swims in the predawn darkness, I was startled by a skunk that was waaaaaaaay too way close for comfort.  I tried to determine which way he was going so I could go the other way, and while making my escape, I thought; hmmmmm, foreshadowing? 

After picking my swim, I baited up with a big ball of method and a short hooklink with a few kernels of corn( including one artificial floater ), and once I finished carrying out all the other task associated with "setting up," I cast out, sat back in my chair, coffee in hand, and enjoyed the sunrise.

SUNRISE.jpg

I even got to enjoy watching a beaver on it's early morning swim across the harbour.  I couldn't help but think how much you end up missing by not getting to your swim nice and early in the morning.

While I was waiting in anxious anticipation for my bite alarm to go off( You know how it is in those first few minutes ), out of the corner of my eye I catch the movement of yet another critter.  It's Peter Cottontail out for a run!

RUNNING RABBIT.jpg

Well, the water was flat, calm and not a carp was stirring, that I could tell.  No jumps, no swirls, not a line bump or alarm beep.  So, I cast out the feeder with a generous ball of method mix again and 'pulted out some more maize to build up the swim, and I was into it again!

ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz...  ooops, fell asleep.

When I awoke, it appeared that I had been visited by yet another little creature.  This one had a hankerin' for my corn and I caught him red( squirrel )handed!

RED SQUIRREL.jpg      

Well, if the fishing wasn't going well( remember our little white striped friend earlier ), at least I had the resident fur-bearing critters to keep me company.

As the anglers of other species walked by for a chat, it was apparent that carp were not the only fish that were inactive this morning.

After more re-baiting( Why?  Nothing was eating it! ), I decided to have a little walkabout.  It was either that or I'd fall asleep again, and I didn't trust that squirrel.  Then, looking along the rocky shoreline, I spotted some movement.  And then the mink spotted me!

MINK4.jpg

Yet another neat creature to add to the day's "critter count."  

MINK3.jpg       

Seeing as the fishing was a little slow, I stayed to watch this little guy doing its thing for quite a while.

MINK2.jpg 

MINK1.jpg

The best I could say about the fishing was an occasional line bump, and a few beeps, but nothing in the way of a landed carp.  So I hope you'll forgive me if I post a pic of one I caught LAST weekend.  This was one of three carp and one catfish caught last weekend by my cousin Dan and I on a day that was certainly more productive than this one.

13lbs.jpg

Well, here's hoping for more critters( all except for that one )and more carp the next time!

SWAN2.jpg

Very good report Mike, actually a great report. I love the pics of the little critters and last weeks fish. We have watched the Carp spawn here like clockwork for the last 21 years when we bought. So many they could keep you up at night doing what spawning Carp do. They can be here as late as the middle of June. I haven't seen a single solitary Carp this year, not a 1.

What a zoo !!   :D  Great post Mike ,  I enjoyed the read ...and photos !  It seems the more carp I see jumping , rolling , flopping , the less I will catch . They will tease , then freeze when it's dinner time !  While fishing  , it's great to take in the wildlife around us , on land and in the water . During my last fish at Jordan the water birds caught my attention for hours . Gulls & terns bombing minnows ,& a few diving cormorants,   and 6 blue herons in a group flying haphazardly in circles . I saw a very large bird cruising down to the water and scoop up a 6-7" fish ...low & behold , it was an osprey ....pretty neat bird ! Last year there was a young loon there.  It sure detracts me from keeping my eyes on the rod ....I might have to invest in one of them fancy line alarms ....or hang a cow bell on my rod.....

Loved the report! At least you got to see some wildlife all I seem to find is Mosquitos. Lol. Loved the carp from last week as well and it seems your not the only one not catching. I had my run of at least 1 to 2 carp every time I went out and the last 2 times I've been out not a single sniff. Almost tempted to try and get a gobie just to say I've caught a fish! Haha. 

Great report ! 

I fished this spot for 2 weeks in April and managed about 4-5 fish, but combined with a few friends seen about 20ish to the bank. My biggest was 30 pounds. I havent had any success post May, but if you go down the boardwalk path to the mouth of the river, and you'll see an area along the shore line that's like a little bay, there are often fish there in the summer, seen some CHUNKS, but never got back to fish for em (was just scouting the are out). Best of luck if you go back !

18119362_10158812646295105_4209539236876959491_n.jpg

I appreciate the tip JMO1685 and that is certainly one gorgeous specimen you caught!  Congratulations!

And thanks for the comments, guys.  It's always fun after a day's fishing trip to organize the photos and type out a story, while enjoying an adult beverage.  lol  

JMO ....it's surprising to see a carp so fat in the belly early in the year  (April)?  . Are people tossing them Timmies doughnuts all winter ?  :D

Archived