Newbie, advice extremely welcome

Limey

Morning lads (and lasses?)

moved to welland from a place called Walney Island in England nearly 2 years ago but didnt really get the rods out until august this year (a crime in itself i know), i used to do a bit of beach casting into the irish sea for bass/cod/flatties and a bit of pond fishing so all of this is new to me, the fishing here is fantastic here in comparison.

i don't have a boat so i've been limited to shore/bank fishing

had quite a few bass on the rec canal biggest being around 3 lb and 16"

a couple of small trout from welland river near the aqueduct

went camping to bissells and had a roughly 4lb'er but i'm not sure what species it was, maybe a walleye or musky?

tried out near beaverdams but blanked there, i was just using little spinners but another guy was using worms and had at least 5 keepers (he was oriental so there was a language barrier and i could'nt glean much info from him)

tried my luck spinning down the whirlpool several times but just got a small bass, other lads were doing quite well but they were drifting and i have no experience of that.

googled/youtubed about bottom bouncing/drifting with a float as much as i could then tried down at port dalhousie, the ice was really bad with big chunks taking the line, asked one lad for a few tips advice but you'd think i'd asked him for his bank account number and his wife's phone number, i just don't understand that  sh*tty attitude, if ANYBODY asked me for advice whether it be local or somebody obviously from another country i wouldn't hesitate to dish out a few pointers.

finally tried beginners luck down queenston docks, one bloke had had 6 in the morning and there was a couple of other lads with a couple of nice trout, i spoke to one really nice fella down there who answered any questions i had as best he could so that cheered me up a bit.

So in a nut shell i was hoping if any of youse wouldnt mind, if you are heading to any of the places mentioned above if i could tag along, even if it's just to watch techniques etc, i'm not after ancient family secrets lol or secret honey spots, just a bit of friendly advice and maybe make a few mates with the same interests, i have my own rust bucket transport and i'm pretty much available any day/night until my work permit comes through.

the weather looks good tomorrow with a bit of sunshine and 0C degrees so i'll no doubt head out regardless to maybe queenston docks or port D.

thanks for taking the time to read, and tight lines, cheers, the Limey :D

Great post alot of guys on here can help you out most of the time it will be a pm most guys wont post info in the open but i can say since i been here alot of people on here have pointed me in the right direction when i was new to the niagara fishing the beat advice i can give from your post dont eat the fish out of beaverdams lol i cant catch a trout in the river if my life depended on it i also havent tried float fishing but if the time i right can get salmon on spoons down there as for now its ice fishing local spots martindale the beacon dain city and dunville are good places to start

14 minutes ago, smatone2k said:

Great post alot of guys on here can help you out most of the time it will be a pm most guys wont post info in the open but i can say since i been here alot of people on here have pointed me in the right direction when i was new to the niagara fishing the beat advice i can give from your post dont eat the fish out of beaverdams lol i cant catch a trout in the river if my life depended on it i also havent tried float fishing but if the time i right can get salmon on spoons down there as for now its ice fishing local spots martindale the beacon dain city and dunville are good places to start

Thanks for that mate, I think I'd read on here when I was lurking about not eating anything from there, 3 eyed fish and whatnot lol, I actually caught the trout on a pink angry bird lure I'd bought as a novelty. I doubt I'll be trying my hand at ice fishing this year as I've left it a bit late and would be a bit sceptical about trying alone, my stepson is up Barrie giving it a go though, they blanked today but they've got all weekend yet. Tried spinning from the little platform at dain just past the pink pub quite a few times in summer but didn't even get a bite, some huge carp hanging around there though.

18 minutes ago, smatone2k said:

And any chance have a picture of the musky/walleye from bissels didnt even think there was fishing there 

Didn't get a picture of whatever it was mate, it spat the hook as I was taking it out. We were fishing just off a little weir and it was shoulder to shoulder on one of the mornings, a few caught on the bank opposite but a bit far to see what they were, on the top side of the weir there's a phone cable or something running above you in the air, it's an unbelievable lure graveyard ? 

Dang .....how did I miss your first post mate ?     ....love the English accents . :)  My grandparents on both sides hailed from England . My grandma Pheasant  had me confused many times when using words from the "old country" . One time while on the" telly phone" she asked me ...." go fetch my what-cha-m'-call-it".....pointing to the living room . I never had a clue she wanted her purse ! 

You mentioned " huge carp" , and you mention fishing the ponds in England . I assume you have done some carping there as well . If you like to carp fish I can show you many spots in Niagara . Carp are everywhere in this area !  I don't use the specialized carp gear like the carp stands and alarms , I just prop my rods and use the bait runner reel most times.

Welcome to the club Limey angler , great intro !   As you can see , I have been posting here for eons , and the rust is taking it's toll as I haven't hooked a fish the last three trips out on the hard H20 . Good fishing dude !  :Gonefishing:

What cha ma call it, my missus still always laughs when I use that term lol 

yeah theyre big buggers down dain mate, when we used to hit the ponds on walney my mates targeted carp and I was aiming for tench, perch and roach, to be honest I didn't have the patience for carping, my mate has a regular feature in carp angler magazine, he just spent 4 nights in Portugal without a bite but got one on his last night, joe jagger he's called you mite be able to google him, he's on Facebook.

im at the dentist in the falls at 10:20 so I'll have a mooch down queenston afterwards, wind is due to pick up though so not sure how I'll fare.

thanks for the welcome mate 

Blimey !!  That be a whopper carp ....must be well over 30 lbs !   We do get a few through the ice here . I've tried the corn but it seems they have a fancy for minnows sometimes as well .  That one would be a blast to catch through a 10" hole ! 

Thanks for the link ...bookmarked & at my disposal to read up on the British style of carping . Most of the You Tube carp videos are British also .  When the water opens up , I'll be chasing them early this year .

We don't have 64 pound mirrors here , but I have caught a few in the 12 Mile/Gibson system .  

Another global warming clipper on the way for a few days .....shouldn't do much damage to the local ice hopefully .  The blasted wind is a p.i.t.a. though .....

..... Good luck getting those choppers fixed up !...      need to take care of those pearly whites !   :D

Dentist changed the time by phone then rang back to change it back again, rearranged for Monday as it was doing my nut in.

went to queenston but the ice was a nightmare, had a bit of a chat with the bloke who'd got 6 last week and he kindly gave me a few pointers.

came back to welland to try the aqueduct, there's two steep sides to it and I travelled to the bottom by arse which was bumpy and painful ?, that was enough for one day lol, live to fight another day ??

Nice Intro Limey...had a chuckle at the English Language. Lots of great help here. Welcome aboard.

. Checking out your link Limey .....found this monstrosity which was caught in California . I wasn't aware carp fishing took place there . So , I got to thinking about the size of this carp would be related to the big bass caught in Florida where they feed all year . Here in Ontario they are docile now , feeding very little during our winters .  I doubt this porker would fit through a 10" hole ...........  :nea::Gonefishing:

ZpUcYxygyKPyLDU_Z1fmryaNo5Y14pVY13zibqxy

2 hours ago, smerchly said:

. Checking out your link Limey .....found this monstrosity which was caught in California . I wasn't aware carp fishing took place there . So , I got to thinking about the size of this carp would be related to the big bass caught in Florida where they feed all year . Here in Ontario they are docile now , feeding very little during our winters .  I doubt this porker would fit through a 10" hole ...........  :nea::Gonefishing:

ZpUcYxygyKPyLDU_Z1fmryaNo5Y14pVY13zibqxy

Holy cow ?

Two or three years ago 2 large carp were caught at the Beacon Marina through the ice , and my cousin got one at Martindale  pond as well  , about 5 -6 lbs . & also got a couple of l.m.bass .   Always a surprise to see when fishing for perch .

Hi Limey I have to recommnd the thundermist lures YouTube page it' a local company and they do alot of short videos all around Niagara and they even have a "Boatless Angler" series which is great for us shore fishing guys. Hope this helps 

12 hours ago, thefrog said:

Hi Limey I have to recommnd the thundermist lures YouTube page it' a local company and they do alot of short videos all around Niagara and they even have a "Boatless Angler" series which is great for us shore fishing guys. Hope this helps 

Great stuff thanks mate, I have seen one of his down at port D, so I'll check out the rest of his stuff.

have you tried his T-turn 3 way swivels? I've got normal 3-ways by danielson (?) but I'm not overly keen on them.

if you fancy a bit of shore bashing in the better weather give me a shout mate, I've got my own transport  

Hey Limey,

When it warms up I can take you down to the Niagara river, upper or lower to fish.  I live a few minutes away from Port D, but only fish down there a few times a year as I don't like the crowds.  Upper river is my gem around the Peace bridge, you need waders up there and extreme knowledge of the current since wading is a must. 

Tim

Archived