Tiny hole in my aluminum boat

Bubba14

I need some advice please.

I will be checking today for more, but I have at least one small hole in my aluminum boat, approximately 1 mm in diameter. The boat has a floor so I can only access the outside for a repair. After searching on-line I believe I have decided to repair the hole with JB Weld Marine unless I get a better suggestion from members here.

Suggestions please...

My aluminum boat was leaking on 2 back corners so I took out 8-10 rivets and used 3M 5400? I think (Canadian Tire) and then replaced with new rivets but that stuff hardened nice and sealed . It is black and has held up for several years now.

I have repaired my aluminum canoe that had as small hole by drilling the hole one size larger for a clean inside rim , then coated the thread of a round head screw with silicone ....added a thin washer with some silicone then added silicone over the head of the screw after tightening it up. It has never leaked....

How about using a pop rivet the right size ? I also had a crack in the canoe floor which was welded  ...it hasn't leaked since ( 40 years ago)  lol

And the canoe has an aluminum patch  about 3" x 3" where acid  from mud contacted the round transom bottom during the winter & ate a small hole in the bottom .....held in place by rivets & silicone . 

One time we patched a leak in a 12' alum. boat using pine tree sap ....very sticky stuff ....and it worked also ! 

....never thought of  JB Weld back in those days  ....probably the best solution Scott  !   :D

Depends what caused the hole. Did a rivet fall out? Is it corrosion? Is it physical damage from something sharp?

Corrosion would be concerning. Is there more of it elsewhere?

The boat is new to me and was very well cared for. No corrosion and no a rivet didn't fall out. Must have came into contact with something a little pointy as the hole is only approximately 1 mm. Nothing anywhere else, just the one spot. I filled it with water today and that was the only hole.

I had four holes from an old transducer mount and I moved the location so I use this stuff called geocell .I install eaves trough and windows and siding etc.i use it for everything .it's a construction adhesive stays rubbery never cracks .it's been six years and holes are still closed solid .pumped in a squirt let dry 24 hrs then put a skim over top and smooth out with wet finger .where u located I probably have open tubes in my work trailer if you're near Thorold or at Catharines instead of buying anything .but in not around till Monday morning

Well, I decided to take the easy route with the hole and went with the JB Weld. I do appreciate the feedback that I received. I took the boat out for almost 2.5 hours today and it didn't leak a drop. Now lets see if it holds up!

Goop or shoe goo, should work as well, try Michael craft store, google for their 40% off coupon code. very strong semi flexible yet hard clear glue.,  The price will come out to $4 a tube after discount. 

If the aluminum flexes between the rivet and the body frame area, the JB weld might break apart. 

A tiny hole like that I would suspect is electrolysis.  At one time your boat was probably moored and for whatever reason the electric current of something nearby was flowing through that spot.  When I redid my starcraft I found a spot just like that.  If it isn't structural (a rivet), then your fix will probably hold.  If it doesn't, drill it out and install a properly fitting closed end blind rivet with 3M5200 and it will never budge.

The odds of something poking a 1mm hole are slim. Sounds like an electrical current to me.

Thanks for that Kevin. I figured I'd give the JB Weld a shot first as I can always use it for different things around the house and in the garage. If it doesn't work then yes, I will go another route, likely with a rivet.

Archived