propeller weed guard

mooseslayer

The MNR in their infinite wisdom planted wild rice on the lake where my hunt camp is located and has choked out the shorelines of the lakes for hundreds of yards. I have been fighting the rice and weeds for years and to get to the shore and around our dock we have to often paddle and pull them to make a channel. I checked out weed guards for my 25 Yamaha and my 8hp motors but there are all kinds of designs and they apparently create drag at high speeds and can hurt steering. has anyone used them with any success?

Never used one myself but on some lakes in the southern states they're very common. You're right in that they have an effect on the top speed and they are more difficult to steer but that really shouldn't be an issue for moose hunting. Anytime you have more stuff on your motor below the waterline it is going to effect the speed and handling. One guy I talked to in Florida says he has never run a motor without one and was always pleased with the results.

We had thick weeds at Mohawk Bay , and those who had power tilt would go through the weeds with the prop raised high but making sure the motor was still peeing .  Eventually we could lower the prop when enough weeds were chopped away . If we had some weeds on the prop when we reached open water reversing the prop would usually clear it .

Archived