Winter fly fishing

Tyler0420

I do.... except mine drift on the bottom....lol.... if you guys think about it.....over the winter the fish aren't in those tribs.they stage in the deep water before the spring spawn.....everything else spawned in the fall.....salmon....browns...lakers..so ain't no bows coming in to eat eggs.....some are closed season.... others frozen.....around here in the winter fish aren't coming up to chase baits either..... and..... there is the "match the hatch " factor....not too many bugs flying around in the winter....lol

You would be surprised ... I know of a small creek ... some holes might be three to four feet at a best case scenario ... and I have seen trout from October through April in it.  Did I fish them?  No, but they will find spots to hide if it gets cold enough that it starts to freeze up.

I agree with Snags. Before my son came into the picture, I would fish at least 2 times a week all year. We could always find open water  in open sections of rivers  throughout the winter.

Most guys would be pinning, but there was still a decent amount of guys with their fly rod in hand.

5+ years ago when Lower Niagara had a consistent low water level I seen quite a few spey guys have success spey fishing streamers in glen area. With water up so high nowadays must make a backcast pretty tough.

• 1 month later...

Archived