Fish ID help.

DNorton

My son pulled this out of Jordan harbour last night and I posted on a fishing group on fb which created a debate on what it is. I was leaning towards some kind of over grown shad but you guys be the judge. Weighed approx 3lbs 

D46EA18E-D69C-4EB3-96AC-46EEBF4F6292.jpeg

663B174C-4EB2-4707-8A0D-EB3F47270537.jpeg

9656C61B-E1A7-41A4-BEF8-E8D6A7E0F7A1.jpeg

3 hours ago, JiggingtroutNsalmon said:

Gizzard shad get upto 3 pounds . Especially in Jordan. There's some real big ones there. No fight to them most time at all. Nice catch

Agree.....some big rudd in there too .  Big schools of shad have been seen while ice fishing at Lake Ont. marinas.

Check out gizzard shad on Wiki....

When the silver bass use to run heavy at the Niagara river and Port Dalhousie , you could have a blast with a fly rod . They would hit a nice "silver doctor" for sure !   :)  ..........and  carp ????   give it a try Tyler !

32 minutes ago, smerchly said:

When the silver bass use to run heavy at the Niagara river and Port Dalhousie , you could have a blast with a fly rod . They would hit a nice "silver doctor" for sure !   :)  ..........and  carp ????   give it a try Tyler !

I’ll be fly fishing for carp forsure. Sight fish them in the harbour. There’s a member on here that is willing  to help me out. Looking forward to it. 

I netted a nice carp for a member here at Jordan . He was using a fly rod with (I think) was a 9 lb.tippet ....just a couple pieces of corn with one rubber lime green floater corn & a small shot to get it to bottom ....was a pleasure watching him handle that carp ( pushing 20 lb ) ....ran out a lot of line !!  He was running his cam.....got it all on vid .

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

I netted a nice carp for a member here at Jordan . He was using a fly rod with (I think) was a 9 lb.tippet ....just a couple pieces of corn with one rubber lime green floater corn & a small shot to get it to bottom ....was a pleasure watching him handle that carp ( pushing 20 lb ) ....ran out a lot of line !!  He was running his cam.....got it all on vid .

Nice.  Don’t think I’ll be using corn. I’d just use my spin rod for that.  They like chasing  flies.  Strip one infront of them and hold on.....

5 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

Nice.  Don’t think I’ll be using corn. I’d just use my spin rod for that.  They like chasing  flies.  Strip one infront of them and hold on.....

Hmm I’ve tried so many times for carp on the fly can’t seem to get them to take any presentation, was thinking of trying corn on the fly rod but then is it really fly fishing or just using corn with a different style rod? If that makes sense. 

12 minutes ago, DNorton said:

Hmm I’ve tried so many times for carp on the fly can’t seem to get them to take any presentation, was thinking of trying corn on the fly rod but then is it really fly fishing or just using corn with a different style rod? If that makes sense. 

That’s my way of thinking of it.  Just like throwing a roe bag on a fly rod. Is it really fly fishing?

3 hours ago, Tyler0420 said:

That’s my way of thinking of it.  Just like throwing a roe bag on a fly rod. Is it really fly fishing?

Half & half .....different presentation (bait)....same technique reeling it in ....maybe a way to give it a test run lol !

...add some hair to the corn.....let it sink .....   they are mainly bottom feeders  .....think they are feeding on the billions of flies here ....

1 hour ago, smerchly said:

Half & half .....different presentation (bait)....same technique reeling it in ....maybe a way to give it a test run lol !

...add some hair to the corn.....let it sink .....   they are mainly bottom feeders  .....think they are feeding on the billions of flies here ....

I may try that to see how my tippet / leader handles the carp otherwise I picked up some imitation corn/ bread flies so we shall see next time I’m out. 

Archived