Flasher Fly Setup for Salmon

FishingDayz

Hey all,   

Looking for some advice.  I was wondering if any of you use the supplied swivels on your Spindoctor flashers. (See picture).  I have been just tying my leader directly to the suppled flasher that was I can easily unhook to change fly color or flasher.

My question... Is it anyone's opinion that this swivel is too large, and not the best presentation? Just wondering if someone has had better luck with something different?

Thanks

Untitled.png

4 hours ago, fishingking said:

I use the supplied swivels..even same for walleye behind dipseys or jets also ..I think more swivel less twisting going on and baits run in a better line 

I fished for salmon in the 80's , been a long time since I trolled them ....  One of our best baits was a simple plastic squid -flasher combo . The squid was tied about 30" from the flasher which caused the squid to rotate in a small circle . A good heavy swivel worked good with little line twist . We used both spinning and star drag reels . I still have some salmon tackle and a 1980's  Daiwa reel that got very little use , probably worth  $$  thousands now.....a short vid .on that set up .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0vjpYyORTY

Use the supplied swivel.  They are heavy, stand up to abuse, take the twist out, and allow a proper roll.  As far as presentation goes, kings don't shy away from that swivel. They're feeding machines. 

Archived