Big weekend coming up

Tyler0420

Next weekend I’ll be doing my first 48hr session. Looking to fish somewhere outside of the Toronto-Niagara area. Somewhere I won’t be able to fish often. I’m looking at the otonabee river (Peterborough) or the st Lawrence River or anything else that way.  St Lawrence would be an epic trip but trying to find a place to stay two nights is a little hard right now. Long sault you need a campground and most are booked or closed(covid). Even if I don’t have a spot picked out I’m just going to start driving that way and hit up some tackle shops out there. I also contacted a charter so hopefully I’ll find a spot.  I just stocked up on bait, flavors, weights, hooks etc..... all I have to do is cook two pails of maize mid week and pre-tie some rigs and Im ready to go :)

WOW !   That's some "session" ....where do you get the ambition for that in this crazy heat  ?  Is this carp derby related ?  Is the charter for salmon or walleye fishing ?  Have you looked into staying at a motel  ?  When we went to Quinte we shared a room  (3 guys) ...cheap cheap !  Nice to have a shower , and buy food  (KC , McD ,Subway,,etc) across the road .One thing for sure , carp are everywhere !

Check out the Kingston area for big Lake O. carp ......some good carp fishing advice here ...

https://www.thewhig.com/2016/05/25/targeting-carp-in-the-kingston-area/wcm/8b4f0eeb-2f85-2ea8-74ca-284c302bed28

Try montecarlo motel in Cornwall, you can fish carp right below the dam.  I lived up their for two years, non stop carp action below the dam lol, night bite is good as well.  Good spot for walleyes and bass as well on tube jigs.

link below, its a dive but does the job:

http://www.montecarlomotel1700.com/

51 minutes ago, smerchly said:

WOW !   That's some "session" ....where do you get the ambition for that in this crazy heat  ?  Is this carp derby related ?  Is the charter for salmon or walleye fishing ?  Have you looked into staying at a motel  ?  When we went to Quinte we shared a room  (3 guys) ...cheap cheap !  Nice to have a shower , and buy food  (KC , McD ,Subway,,etc) across the road .One thing for sure , carp are everywhere !

Check out the Kingston area for big Lake O. carp ......some good carp fishing advice here ...

https://www.thewhig.com/2016/05/25/targeting-carp-in-the-kingston-area/wcm/8b4f0eeb-2f85-2ea8-74ca-284c302bed28

I don’t mind the heat smerch. The charter would be for carp. Mostly just to put me on a spot for 2 nights. Don’t really care for a hotel I have my bivy now and I’d like to have a rod in for as long as possible. Kingston is definitely an option. I watch limestone city  angler on YouTube and that where he’s from. I already have a spot pinned in Kingston so I might fish there but “camping” over night might not be an option. 

37 minutes ago, steelshady said:

Try montecarlo motel in Cornwall, you can fish carp right below the dam.  I lived up their for two years, non stop carp action below the dam lol, night bite is good as well.  Good spot for walleyes and bass as well on tube jigs.

link below, its a dive but does the job:

http://www.montecarlomotel1700.com/

Thanks shady. How’s the bottom there? I hate losing rigs, not the cheapest set ups. I’ll definitely look into that spot though. 

On 8/15/2020 at 1:27 PM, Tyler0420 said:

Thanks shady. How’s the bottom there? I hate losing rigs, not the cheapest set ups. I’ll definitely look into that spot though. 

Its not that bad, lots of carp 24/7 with the best place being right by the fence.

On 8/15/2020 at 1:27 PM, Tyler0420 said:

I'm Mr. Cheap and hate losing rigs too ....and I hate losing time to rig up again !!   Some spots are rig eaters and  I have learned to add weights to keep the rigs from moving after hitting bottom . ( bolt rig ).  A 3 way rig can also be used in rocky bottoms with the weight on lighter line ....at least get the hook rig back .   I have been waiting for a break in the hot weather ....tomorrow is the day to wet my line again ....going out to grab a dozen worms in case the carp aren't cooperating ....   :Gonefishing:

10 hours ago, smerchly said:

I'm Mr. Cheap and hate losing rigs too ....and I hate losing time to rig up again !!   Some spots are rig eaters and  I have learned to add weights to keep the rigs from moving after hitting bottom . ( bolt rig ).  A 3 way rig can also be used in rocky bottoms with the weight on lighter line ....at least get the hook rig back .   I have been waiting for a break in the hot weather ....tomorrow is the day to wet my line again ....going out to grab a dozen worms in case the carp aren't cooperating ....   :Gonefishing:

good luck today, my next outing will be fri-sun :)

10 hours ago, Steve_Guelph said:

Have a great weekend Tyler. Smerch I had a screamer on this morning but lost it about a minute after I set the hook. Still out here hoping for another. 

The bite was off today ...tried 2 spots , not a sniff . I baited up the float rod with a worm and got a small bass ...seems to be plenty of them in there .  Think I'll do a Gibby/Moody trip next ......like tomorrow....  :Gonefishing:

Well day one was pretty much a bust. Got here At 11am and found out I couldn’t park where I wanted to fish I had to park 5-10min walk away. So by the time i unload everything and set up its 1:30. Fished below a dam but current was too much then the floating weeds made it worse. So after 3 hours of recasting and not feeling confident In my presentation I packed up and left. That took two hours but I knew it wasn’t worth staying there any longer. Drove around for a while before I found a spot that was fishable. So it’s 830 before my rig is back in the water. I cast out and it’s all weeds up until about 90-100yards out.  Then gravel. Tried spombing out that far and cant quite make it then snapped off the spomb when the arm closed on my reel.  So pva bag it is. Cast that out and don’t make it to the gravel. Oh well I’m leaving it. Finally clean everything up and crack open a beer and my reel is screaming off. Rookie me didn’t have the net set up because I really didn’t think I was going to get anything tonight.  Tried setting it up and fighting a fish that’s buried in the weeds and lost the fish.  Should of brought the fish in closer before setting up the net.  So wasn’t a total bust today, glad I got that run.   

D3401F7A-FF76-4FA5-A0AD-B1052E2C7EA8.jpeg

33B5707E-B05E-4703-8522-81B7FCCF128D.jpeg

Fast moving water there Tyler ......  it would be a battle to land a big carp there ! 

Nice night shot !  Were the bugs bad  ? 

Tomorrow will be a better day !     :Gonefishing:

So the weekend was decent. Spent lots of time driving around after leaving the dam looking for a spot to fish. Found a spot 730pm Friday and fished it till the morning, had two runs and lost them both to the weeds. Moved Saturday morning so I could fish the swim from a different spot. Landed one and lost 2 more to the weeds again and 1 at the net.  Seems like if my bait wasn’t in the weeds I wasn’t hooking up. Sunday night rolls around and after losing 2 fish and 3 rigs to the zebra mussels with the wind picking up and rain expected in the morning I packed up around midnight so I didn’t have to pack up in the rain. Good weekend I had fun but losing 5 fish sucked. I’ll be back again

33486D55-F792-4509-B220-37EB5237CFCD.jpeg

D05F28FE-6575-475E-A051-5D5B939165BD.jpeg

Rough territory there and nice looking backwash . I see you have the rod sitting high to keep the line from resting on those rough rocks ... The weeds , rocks and gobies can be a problematic to say the least !  From my last few outings I have been satisfied  using my 20# mono P-line which seems to stand up better to the rock abrasions .  I will be doing a fast water spot with a backwash. at the 12 Mile very soon .....looking at trying a 3 way rig there which will keep the corn balls dancing a little just off bottom ( need to tease them sometimes) !

On 8/24/2020 at 11:06 AM, smerchly said:

fast water spot with a backwash. at the 12 Mile very soon

Today was the day ! ....headed to the 12 ,  water at peak level , green tinge ,3-4' viz.  current running fast . I tried the 3 way rig ...2 oz.flat sinker , 12" lead with a corn bag with floater beads ....rod in spring holder at 45* angle, high over the water . I went to get more chum ...heard my drag , grabbed the rod to find slack line !! Broken off , everything gone !  I rigged up with a sliding 2 oz.egg sinker & another corn bag ....2 min.later , another hard hit ...line slack , busted off again !!  W.T.Heck ???  Rigged same again ....15 min.later ,landed a 10# carp . Tossed in again ...5 seconds on bottom ...wham bam a rocket , headed out to the middle in the fast current and got off  !  Lost another one 30 min.later ....Landed 4 , lost 4 ..  50 % ...pass ?? 

I'm really perplexed about the 2 break offs ...I think the 3 way ( bolt rig) got hung up with the 2 oz.lead and just snapped as the carp ran along the bottom before it bent the rod .....I caught one carp on the " yellow spongy trout bait , they go soft quickly & a light bite can take them easily ...have to keep checking them every 15 minutes . Sometimes ,even the cheesecloth  corn bag has to be checked to make sure it's there or ........

corn bag zebra 12 mile.jpg

12 mile carp 25-08-2020.jpg

12Mile carp spot.jpg

The tackle making factories brought those zebra mussels here from China .....   :angry:

I have ONE  lead core rig Tyler .......   I'll have to tie up a few ....running low on 2 - 3 oz weights .

Cooler (nicer)  temps on the way ....it's a 4 minute drive and 3 minute walk from my house to that spot .

Room42    :Gonefishing::Gonefishing:

I found an "OLD"  spool of coated steel line like we used for lake trout fishing in deep water many moons ago .... It came from " Dominion Hardware"  & cost $1.25 for 100 yards ....don't know how old it is  LOL !!

I tested it for strength , abrasion resistance and with a serrated knife ..... I breaks at about 20 lbs . I don't like spending much time tying fancy rigs and knots with the lead core line ....watched a few vids.on it and then found this short video using a very simple knot which can be easily tied on the spot . I think a 3 - 4' lead should be enough to try at that spot . When the water was down about 50% some large rocks can be seen scattered about .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwjfWbaj-n0

...made up a few rigs to try soon ...and some more cheese cloth corn bags . .. Cheese cloth on sale now at Home .Hardware , $3 for enough cloth to make 200+ bags ...cheep cheep 🐤

Checked out some other sites ....lots of opinions about zebra lines ....just use a 3 ft .30#

mono lead .....   :Gonefishing:

Archived