Wife wants a fly trip!

tombo

If you could go fly fishing anywhere in Ontario for Specs, where would you go? Wifey got hooked on speckles a cpl yrs ago. Didn’t fish last spring because of COVID. This yr she says we goin no matter what! First season we fished all she caught was fingerlings, I’d love for her to catch something a little larger!

When I was young, 35ish yrs ago I fished a lot of creeks and rivers from Mount Forest to Owen Sound and then south along the lake. Not sure if I should try that area again or hit another area? We will probably have about a week to hunt! 
Any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

BTW we are strictly catch and release when it comes to trout! Thanx in advance....

Hi Tombo, not sure I can help you with destinations but saw that you used to spec fish in the same area as we did growing up. I remember drifting worms in streams you could almost jump across. Fish in the morning and shoot ground hogs in the afternoon. Good times!  The most plentiful and large spec fishing I have ever seen was in Algonquin park, only did one canoe trip back in high school caught a ton of trout on spinners, wasn't into fly fishing back then.

• 2 weeks later...

Id go north, between Sault Ste Marie, and Wawa. Lots of action up that way, with numerous streams all over the place. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/24/2021 at 12:19 PM, Surf and Turf said:

Hi Tombo, not sure I can help you with destinations but saw that you used to spec fish in the same area as we did growing up. I remember drifting worms in streams you could almost jump across. Fish in the morning and shoot ground hogs in the afternoon. Good times!  The most plentiful and large spec fishing I have ever seen was in Algonquin park, only did one canoe trip back in high school caught a ton of trout on spinners, wasn't into fly fishing back then.

Did the same back then, fish specs in the Rocky Saugeen along the Markdale Road and then shoot groundhogs a bit south down towards Priceville where we had permission for a few farms. Usually made a weekend out of it sleeping in the van, shooting Sat. and fish Sun.