Trout on upper grand

Gil

14 minutes ago, jessek said:

Lots of accesses. Lots of catch and release and some keep areas. I’m partial to first section below dam the not catch and release section. And I’ve always liked I think trestle area. Caddis lots.

That’s a good spot also if you go up above Fergus from melita auto sales up to the RV sales place there are 3 access points that are equally good spots .

Also check out the Grand River Conservation Authority website for river flow data before you go. It will give you a multi day history of water flow rates, so you can gauge whether it is fishable or not. If there were recent rains and the flow rates are heading up, or are up, stay home. Learned this the hard way a few times.

Another really good resource is the Hatch Charts on Grand River Troutfitter's website. It will definitely help you match the hatch. 

All barbless hooks and catch and release until you hit the Elora Gorge I believe.

• 4 weeks later...

I fished at Pierpoint Park yesterday, water was low and clear, no fish. Seems that this area lacks shade and trees, the sun was just beating the river like a furnace.

Any suggestions where the fish would be this time of year? I will try at the end of line 6 today, "Blondies".

You should be in a prime area there, you could head a bit more upstream. The fish are heavily pressured so are very skittish and it's essential to "match the hatch"  Early morning and late afternoon, take your time and watch for rises and then carefully stalk your prey.

Upper grand has been fishing terrible. So pressured, low and too warm. Both my outtings been fishless. Thats not normal, not even a dink. Talk to Rob at grand river outfitters, hes always willing to share a few tips on whats working. I would not be fishing it in these temps though. 

On 6/2/2021 at 10:45 AM, steelshady said:

I fished at Pierpoint Park yesterday, water was low and clear, no fish. Seems that this area lacks shade and trees, the sun was just beating the river like a furnace.

Any suggestions where the fish would be this time of year? I will try at the end of line 6 today, "Blondies".

In the Elora conservation area if its open. Follow gorge fenceline down to water and fish upstream. Some deeper holes in there that hold fish.